Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On your deathbed

Options
  • 06-12-2017 8:20am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22

My great aunt died recently, on her deathbed there was an acceptance, a happiness. She said she was happy to go as she had lived a good life and it was her time. There was no fear in her eyes, just happiness that she had family with her for her final moments. I hope when my time comes it will be similar.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Good Morning

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I hope to die soaring through the air on my jet pack, my SE14-C ripping into those storm troopers in short lethal bursts while behind me my thermal imploder takes out a dozen at a time. Then I respawn somewhere safe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

I want to be 83 years old, and shot by police during an armed robbery and my boyfriend will be so upset he has to miss university.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I posted this before I was at a funeral and a father read it his son was 23 when he died somehow it was so appropriate although not at first glance.

Let Me Die A Youngman's Death

When I'm 73
    and in constant good tumour
    may I be mown down at dawn
    by a bright red sports car
    on my way home
    from an allnight party

Or when I'm 91
    with silver hair
    and sitting in a barber's chair
    may rival gangsters
    with hamfisted tommyguns burst in
    and give me a short back and insides

Or when I'm 104
    and banned from the Cavern
    may my mistress
    catching me in bed with her daughter
    and fearing for her son
    cut me up into little pieces
    and throw away every piece but one

Let me die a youngman's death
    not a free from sin tiptoe in
    candle wax and waning death
    not a curtains drawn by angels borne
    'what a nice way to go' death
    Roger McGough
    Poems by Roger McGough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

As long as they give me enough morphine, I'll be happy.

• Advertisement

RayM wrote: »
    As long as they give me enough morphine, I'll be happy.

Actually that's my wish most Mondays on the train to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

My great aunt died recently, on her deathbed there was an acceptance, a happiness. She said she was happy to go as she had lived a good life and it was her time. There was no fear in her eyes, just happiness that she had family with her for her final moments. I hope when my time comes it will be similar.

I think that would he an ideal way to go for most people. She must have been a great age to reach the status of great aunt, another ideal. My condolences on your loss.

However it turns out, make sure your wishes are known beforehand, such as the standard of quality of life you are prepared to accept, donating organs, etc rather being left to the mercy of the vagaries of the medical system and others in emotional turmoil. That way, you and others involved can be prepared and ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

On my deathbed I plan on informing my family of my last wish: to be attached to thousands of helium balloons and flown over O'Connell Street. And when the time is right, have the grenade attached to me remotely detonated so I can rain down on yous bastards!

Now that is how corpse disposal should be done.

On my deathbed I plan on informing my family of my last wish: to be attached to thousands of helium balloons and flown over O'Connell Street. And when the time is right, have the grenade attached to me remotely detonated so I can rain down on yous bastards!

Now that is how corpse disposal should be done.

You soppy old sod you!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,056 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I read somewhere recently that when you stop breathing and officially dead that your Brain may still be active for short time after and you can still hear around you.

Not sure if somebody would know more here or total BS but scared me little to think I hear somebody saying I'm dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

My cousin died in her late 40's of cancer. She had 4 kids from ages 7-18. At the time of her death she had lost her speech but could tap out messages on a special board. She kept pointing to the message "I am afraid" over and over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Crea wrote: »
    My cousin died in her late 40's of cancer. She had 4 kids from ages 7-18. At the time of her death she had lost her speech but could tap out messages on a special board. She kept pointing to the message "I am afraid" over and over.

that is very tough, Im sure she was thinking of the family she was leaving behind. Its easy for me to say while Im sitting here, but I would like to think that I will embrace the whole passing away experience and totally accept it... might as well make friends with death now because it is going to happen sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Only really experienced the prolonged death of one person.

It wasn't too nice, the person never really accepted that their time was over, they were still talking about going home and getting back to normal. They didn't want to die and were fearful.

Makes me sad when I think about it, but I know they're happy now. They didn't have anything to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Crea wrote:

That's pretty haunting. The day my da died he was in hospital getting checked after felling ill for a few days. He admitted he was afraid of dying, never saw that side of him, fathers of that generation never show weakness so I was surprised and tried to brush it off in awkwardness. Sorry now I didn't say something profound or even reassuring to him as it was our last conversation. It was his 9th anniversary yesterday.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I'd like to be well into my 90's. Having revisited the site of a major event in my life. I'll walk to the back of the boat and discover the necklace in my pocket and chuck it into the sea, and them jump in after it. It'll be epic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

If I'm to die in a bed then I hope its on top of a naked 20 something year old blonde with enormous fun bags

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Only really experienced the prolonged death of one person.

It wasn't too nice, the person never really accepted that their time was over, they were still talking about going home and getting back to normal. They didn't want to die and were fearful.

Makes me sad when I think about it, but I know they're happy now. They didn't have anything to worry about.

How do you mean they didn't have anything to worry about? They were dying!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

There are worse things than dying...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Im not afraid of dying, but i am afraid of an undignified death, either rotting alone in a home ****ting myself but witb full mental facultities, or looked on as a burden by loved ones forced tk care for me. I dont want the type of death where theyll say "it was a release for him at the end"

My auld fella died of pancreatic cancer , 6 months to the day almost they told him he had 6 months. He died with dignity, peacefully without suffering. Robbed of a few years, but not a bad way to go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

As the American author William Sydney Porter lay dying, his friends and family were all gathered around his bedside, but they weren't sure whether he'd passed away or not.

"Touch his feet" said one person, "no-one ever died with warm feet."

William then opened one eye and, with his final breath, said "Joan of Arc did."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

As the American author William Sydney Porter lay dying, his friends and family were all gathered around his bedside, but they weren't sure whether he'd passed away or not.

"Touch his feet" said one person, "no-one ever died with warm feet."

Henry then opened one eye and, with his final breath, said "Joan of Arc did."

Where did Henry come from? Was he dying too?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

xzanti wrote: »
    I'd like to be well into my 90's. Having revisited the site of a major event in my life. I'll walk to the back of the boat and discover the necklace in my pocket and chuck it into the sea, and them jump in after it. It'll be epic.

Or after walking to the back of the boat, with the necklace in my coat, get seen by the crew who think I'm going to jump then convince Bill Paxton that our memories and our lives are far more precious than anything material and then chuck it into the sea.

:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Not something I worry about, I'll be fine, I just don't want my loved ones to suffer or be afraid in their last moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭oceanman

Not something I worry about, I'll be fine, I just don't want my loved ones to suffer or be afraid in their last moments.
    but how do you know you will be fine? nobody really knows that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

I imagine I will welcome it.

Unless of course it is painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Where did Henry come from? Was he dying too?

Apologies,Henry was his pen name.

O.Henry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

valoren wrote: »
    Or after walking to the back of the boat, with the necklace in my coat, get seen by the crew who think I'm going to jump then convince Bill Paxton that our memories and our lives are far more precious than anything material and then chuck it into the sea.

:pac:

If you see Bill Paxton then you're already dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Presto chango deathbed repentance.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

No point worrying about it, it happens to everyone. Just bury me in the right cemetery is all I ask.

Advertisement