Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bastards in the work space

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

If there are communal arrangements then someone organizes collections and some arrangements in place. Someone buys the milk/bread/tea/coffee and contributors help themselves

If a person is not contributing money, they are not part of the community and are not alone stealing but worse are a miserable git.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

On attempts to poison someone. People on the internet are weird.

Hmm are you saying that someone who decides to take something that doesn't belong to him/her Drinks fairy liquid and decides to sue cause they had an attempt on their life?
    Yeah.. people are weird alright.

Patww79 wrote: »
    But there's no communal milk in a lot of places so people are robbing milk that other people bought for themselves. If you let it slide, people are programmed to walk all over you and take more and more. People need harsh lessons.

I get the impression the poster is one of the people who take without asking ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

bear1 wrote: »
    I get the impression the poster is one of the people who take without asking ;)

I definitely take milk without asking. It company provided though. If I worked in the kind of hellhole where milk wasnt provided Id get a rota/round system going.

The kind of people who have their own milk are the kind of people who dont do rounds in pubs, its the tiny peasant mind at work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Hmm are you saying that someone who decides to take something that doesn't belong to him/her Drinks fairy liquid and decides to sue cause they had an attempt on their life?
    Yeah.. people are weird alright.

yeh.

If you poison a thief who breaks into your house same law applies. You will be jailed.

Its a very strange thing to do, I mean if you are a peasant milk horder with your special milk just label it.

How many people work in places without company supplied milk anyway?

I definitely take milk without asking. It company provided though. If I worked in the kind of hellhole where milk wasnt provided Id get a rota/round system going.

The kind of people who have their own milk are the kind of people who dont do rounds in pubs, its the tiny peasant mind at work.

Such a stupid post.
    We don't have this system as there are near on 400 people on our floor.
    So according to your logic the entire floor should pool money together and then someone every hour should rush to the shop which isn't close and buy milk for the floor.
    Bollocks.
    So you admit yourself that if the milk wasn't communal then you wouldn't take It?

yeh.

If you poison a thief who breaks into your house same law applies. You will be jailed.

Its a very strange thing to do, I mean if you are a peasant milk horder with your special milk just label it.

I see.
    You're mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

A while back in work I had a sealed family pack of cheese that I threw into the fridge one evening.

Went to get it the following day to make a sandwich and it was torn open and all but one slice was gone.

Can't understand the gall of some people really. Do they care about what would happen if the owner came in while they were helping themselves to the contents?

Milk and butter is communal in our place, nothing else is though I wouldn't care if someone used some mayo/ketchup or took a slice of bread from a full pan.

But nicking other peoples lunch/opening packets is just baffling to try and understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

What if I only like one cup of coffee a day and you like five?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

What I struggle to understand is how and why people get so angry about others wanting to do their own thing when it really doesn't affect them in any way. Unless there's no room in the fridge for everyone to have their own space (which I would completely understand being something that would cause frustration), why can't people just let others have their private, individual items?

I choose what I want, I pay for it, and I want to use it. I don't want to choose, pay for, or use other people's things. I don't want other people choosing, paying for, or using my things. How can this cause so much upset and frustration for others?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

There is no company supplied milk, teabags, coffee etc where I work nor where my husband works. The last 2 places I worked in didn't supply any of this either. My experience is that it's really common for these things to not be supplied. There is no shop nearby where my husband works so if he forget to bring anything with him, he's tea-less for the day.

I was involved with a charity that had a lot of volunteers coming and going in one small office. There was free tea, coffee and biscuits and then there was these little snacky things you could buy for a euro. You just took one and left your euro and the profit (probably about 50 or 60 cent) went back to the charity. It was just a really small way for that one office to give back.

Im guesstimating here but I think they made about €600 a year out of this. But all of a sudden a person(s) starting taking the snacks without paying. About 20 quid a months worth. It wasn't a mistake because there was signage and all the volunteers were gently reminded you had to pay. But they kept doing it. It hadn't been copped onto for ages either so all in all I'd imagine they took at least €100 worth of snacks. (I think it was one person because at one point it was noted there was a few going missing in the space of one very small shift).

In the end they just had to get rid of the snacks altogether. Maybe I'm being petty but I found it really annoying. I don't care if it's only a little snack worth a euro, you're still stealing .. and from a charity. Wtf like!

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

When I was pregnant last year I went through a phase of drinking chocolate milk. For a couple of weeks, it was all that'd settle my stomach. I had a wee carton of it in work, drank half on morning break, and was keeping the rest for lunchtime.
    I'll never forget the rage when I went to get it and it had vanished, and when I stomped around to ask what had happened to it, a colleague had chucked it out because "it looked like it had been there ages and I just thought......"

Needless to say I friggin flipped the mental hormonal lid :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

So recently there have been people complaining that the food they leave in the fridge for lunch gets either eaten or take nibbles from it and put it back.
    Seemed to die down a bit until a friend showed me the chicken breast he had made had chunks taken out of it.
    One lady in particular buys expensive milk for some reason (soya I believe) and also leaves it in the fridge till one day she noticed the newly bought carton was empty.
    After it happened again she decided revenge was hers and got a carton of the soya milk and poured sour milk and fairly liquid into it.
    Mixed it up and away she went to the work the next day.
    Came back later on to find the carton open and left on the counter with wet patches on the floor and never ever had problems again.
    Now we've a new issue where people who leave cigarettes on their desks for the night come back to find half the smokes gone or in some case an empty box.
    Some utter ****ers these days in offices.
    Does anyone else encounter this kind of crap?

A guy I work with did something similar with his sandwiches. He started putting peanut butter and Mayonnaise on them and that put a stop to it. Although eating someone's sandwich is nothing compared to taking a sh1t on the floor, or using the company phone to ring back home to the Congo and raking up a bill of 3 grand. No joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

The only things I ever leave in the fridge in the canteen are drinks, eg, water, orange. However I always put in a Berocca or milk thistle tablet to make them seem a bit dodgy. I've never had any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

There are some seriously angry and sad people on this thread. In my office there are two big fridges to accommodate 19 people and in the four years I’ve been with the company not one person has had anything stolen. A few times someone has mixed up a container of soup with someone else’s but there has never been a lunch “theft”.

FYI, if your lunch/milk/teabags etc. has been taken or tampered with then you’re probably hated in your workplace and lots of people are laughing at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,297 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Motivator wrote: »
    There are some seriously angry and sad people on this thread. In my office there are two big fridges to accommodate 19 people and in the four years I’ve been with the company not one person has had anything stolen. A few times someone has mixed up a container of soup with someone else’s but there has never been a lunch “theft”.

FYI, if your lunch/milk/teabags etc. has been taken or tampered with then you’re probably hated in your workplace and lots of people are laughing at you.

You must work in Facebook or Google or some other idealistic nirvana workplace.
    You are lucky that people aren't taking other peoples food.
    And to say people are "HAted" because people are taking their food, is a bit simplistic, and silly really ...

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

This is outside the ambit of my life experience (thank goodness). Only thing I can think is people are on drugs and don't know/care what the hell they are doing. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭kg703

I used to go to weight watchers so drank the "delicious" pink milk. The job I was in provided milk but only the full fat so I used to go and buy my own and asked the staff of 12 in the place to not drink it as I ate cereal every day and we had strictly timed 30 minute breaks so if I had to go buy it on my lunch, that was ten minutes gone already. Wouldn't mind if someone asked for a drop for tea but the company provided milk, people just didnt want to walk down to the shop (wouldnt be taken out of your break if you were doing the milk run) and in turn would use mine.

One day I taped over the lid of the milk with a big sign saying X milk, please do not use it. Half the carton left. Went in for my cereal lunch and the whole lot was gone. Nobody had been bothered to go and get the free milk so pulled the tape off mine and made cereal with it. Went out to the staff and asked who took it, I was pretty furious. One of the women eventually said 'it was me so effin what ill buy you more milk' Ended up in a big row - said she didnt see the sellotape and sign OVER THE LID.

Im not a round dodger, nor am I scabby, I know milk is only a euro. Its the point that she was too lazy and completely inconsiderate and rather then go get the milk that is free, use mine, knowing there was none left for me and I would have to buy more on my lunch and then only when I confronted everyone admitted it.

If you buy something and ask people not to use it, its only manners not to! How do people not get that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Anyone else eat lunch in their cars? I'd say about 50% of the staff in my place do.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Anyone else eat lunch in their cars? I'd say about 50% of the staff in my place do.

Usually when I'm on building sites. Some of the communal eating areas aren't the most appealing.

I had a great laugh today. I've been doing a bit of work for a woman over the last few weeks. She told me from the word go, to help myself to tea or coffee or anything I fancied from the fridge. I bring my own sandwiches and make tea at lunchtime. Today a carpenter came to do a few jobs in the morning and when he was done we had our lunch break together. He brought in s packet of ham and made two sandwiches. We were chatting before he left and next thing a dog jumped out of his van with a mouthful of ham. After failing to catch the dog and give him a kick up the arse he drove out to the gate, stopped and threw the rest of the ham out and shouted , "You might as well fucking have that as well you little cunt". And drove off.

Advertisement