Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bastards in the work space

Options

Comments

If somebody drank fairy liquid they would have a pretty good case to sue. Pretty pretty pretty good

On what grounds? Fairy liquid is harmless, that's why people use it for washing their plates, cups and cuttlery. If it was in any way dangerous Fairy would be regularly paying out to idiots who accidentally on purpose drink a cupful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Deub

Put laxative in the milk then wait for the start of the show.
    Make sure to remove all the rolls from the toilets before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Deub wrote: »
    Put laxative in the milk then wait for the start of the show.
    Make sure to remove all the rolls from the toilets before.

Maybe do a whip around for the cleaners beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

Get a pack of these sandwich bags

f3cb272b3ecdf8b8ed8a6b055ad8b12f.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Just stay at home all the time if you can wrangle it.

Privacy and sanity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

If somebody drank fairy liquid they would have a pretty good case to sue. Pretty pretty pretty good

That's the same bullsh*t reasoning that protects criminals in this country. If it wasn't theirs, they shouldn't be drinking/eating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Cocoon wrote: »

Sandwich will be thrown out. I put my sandwich in the fridge at 8.30, seen it there at 11 when I got some milk, and it was gone at 12.30 by some bitch who left a note that something was gone off in the fridge / someone left the fridge open so she proceeded to dump everything in the fridge. Ffs, she might do that in her own house, but that was my sandwich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

myshirt wrote: »
    Cocoon wrote: »

Sandwich will be thrown out. I put my sandwich in the fridge at 8.30, seen it there at 11 when I got some milk, and it was gone at 12.30 by some bitch who left a note that something was gone off in the fridge / someone left the fridge open so she proceeded to dump everything in the fridge. Ffs, she might do that in her own house, but that was my sandwich.

My sandwich... MY SAAAANDWIIIICHHH!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

bear1 wrote: »
    So recently there have been people complaining that the food they leave in the fridge for lunch gets either eaten or take nibbles from it and put it back.
    Seemed to die down a bit until a friend showed me the chicken breast he had made had chunks taken out of it.
    One lady in particular buys expensive milk for some reason (soya I believe) and also leaves it in the fridge till one day she noticed the newly bought carton was empty.
    After it happened again she decided revenge was hers and got a carton of the soya milk and poured sour milk and fairly liquid into it.
    Mixed it up and away she went to the work the next day.
    Came back later on to find the carton open and left on the counter with wet patches on the floor and never ever had problems again.
    Now we've a new issue where people who leave cigarettes on their desks for the night come back to find half the smokes gone or in some case an empty box.
    Some utter ****ers these days in offices.
    Does anyone else encounter this kind of crap?

All private items must be locked or password encrypted.
    Anything that isn't tied down you might as well count as gone.

My lunch stays in a locker. Bring my own cutlery, and salt sachets.
    Trust and rely on no one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

On what grounds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    So cheaper items are ok?

No but if its a clearly more expensive item than say regular milk then its pretty obvious , even more obvious than usual, the buyer didn't buy it for communal use

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

wakka12 wrote: »
    No but if its a clearly more expensive item than say regular milk then its pretty obvious , even more obvious than usual, the buyer didn't buy it for communal use

Maybe just assume it's not for communal use unless the purchaser expressly says it is, rather than assuming it is for communal use unless the purchaser expressly says it isn't?

Don't take things you didn't buy without the person who bought it saying you can. This isn't a hard concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I must be blessed. After nearly 20 years in different offices, the amount of bad people is pretty small. In fact, most were annoying rather than bad. Maybe I was the bastard.

Talking anything from a work fridge or cupboard that's not explicitly communal is just acting the cnut as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,943 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

That said, maybe I was the bastard.

Wear that badge with pride!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

We have our own fridge in our office because the communal one is rank. In our office one, no one in a million years would take anything without asking and we keep it clean.

In the communal one in the coffee room there's a good chance some of the stuff walks out by itself. Rotten.

I'm fussy enough about food though so there's not a chance I'd eat anything if I didn't know where it came from. The thoughts of people who'll eat food from unknown sources terrifies me more than the thoughts of the thieving bastards tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I used to keep a tub of butter in the fridge for toast and the odd time someone would use it but I always put it down to someone thinking it was theirs because a few people would use the same brand. I may have had a few yogurts go missing over the years as well but nothing consistent.

I’ve never working in a company where the milk wasn’t provided by the company though. Major pain in the arse having to bring your own milk!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

You'd need to be some prick to drink someone else's soya milk. Surely it would be obvious to anyone that they bought it because they couldn't drink ordinary milk?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,886 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The boss leaving his lunches and partial lunches to rot in the fridge. One rule for us...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

This happened to me a few years ago. I used to buy a six pack of yoghurts and leave them in the fridge on a Monday morning. They’d usually be all gone by Thursday (I’d have had 3 of them and 3 stolen)

One week after one was taken, I put a note on the rest of them saying

“Smile for the hidden camera!... you have 24hrs to come to me and apologise for stealing my yoghurts otherwise I will email the video to everyone in the building telling them not to leave food in the fridge as you steal it”

That day a girl cane to me and apologised for stealing my yoghurt. I took great delight in telling her there was no camera and to go and buy her own fücking food in future. I have no doubt she was stealing other people’s food too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

This happened to me a few years ago. I used to buy a six pack of yoghurts and leave them in the fridge on a Monday morning. They’d usually be all gone by Thursday (I’d have had 3 of them and 3 stolen)

“Smile for the hidden camera!... you have 24hrs to come to me and apologise for stealing my yoghurts otherwise I will email the video to everyone in the building telling them not to leave food in the fridge as you steal it”

That day a girl cane to me and apologised for stealing my yoghurt. I took great delight in telling her there was no camera and to go and buy her own fücking food in future. I have no doubt she was stealing other people’s food too.

Jesus mate I'll make sure never to piss you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

DivingDuck wrote: »
    My first thought, but there's all kinds of data protection issues with this now.
    It's not that complicated, really. CCTV needs to have a stated purpose and that purpose needs to be balanced against the right to privacy.

So an employer can put CCTV in the canteen to protect against theft and maintain hygiene, but that camera needs to be specifically trained on the relevant areas and avoid recording anything it doesn't need to. It can't just record the entire canteen.

Likewise if the purpose of the camera is to prevent theft then that's all you can use it for. If it captures the workshy kid popping into the canteen when he's not on a break, you can't use that footage to discipline or fire him.

If it's not possible to use CCTV without recording the entire canteen, then you can't put it in. Employees have a right to privacy while off the clock.

Like others, I haven't encountered food theft much, the more typical problem I encounter is people who bring food in and leave it there for weeks. Anywhere there's been a fridge, it has to be cleaned out every month and tupperwares full of gone off food just thrown straight in the bin.

Although what drives me crazy is when the employer fills up the canteen with all the basics; milk, etc; it always seems to be cleaned out by 3pm on a Friday. I'm convinced there's some skinflint who goes in after lunch and reasons that anything which hasn't been eaten is fair game to take home.
    Of course the fncking canteen is bare then when you want a cuppa at 4pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Jesus mate I'll make sure never to piss you off.

Serves her right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

What's fairly liquid? Extra watery water?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

How? Milk wasn't theirs. They shouldn't have been near it. It wasn't intended for them. Case would be thrown out pretty quick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

DivingDuck wrote: »
    Who says, though? If I buy it, what gives you the right to take and use it?

I'm sure you're perfectly fine with someone using your communal items, so it's not a hypocrisy issue but one of fairness. Why should the folks who wouldn't dream of touching anything belonging to someone else (and we do exist, I promise) have to share their things when they're not using anyone else's?

FFS milk is communal in every single office I have ever been in.

And no, if we had to buy the milk I wouldnt care if someone used my milk. In those situations, like house shares, you make a rota system. And buy communal milk.

People on the internet are weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

bear1 wrote: »
    On what grounds?

On attempts to poison someone. People on the internet are weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭Corvo

I'd love if they stole my food, I'd feel more justified in strangling one of them.

Advertisement