Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matt Chapman ITV/ATR

Options
  • 05-12-2017 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭

Any thought on this lad?

I have to say I am a big fan. Very entertaining, very funny but knows his stuff (so much as anyone who follows racing can ever knowtheir stuff)

On the Line on Mondays is compulsive viewing, and his interviews with MOL and RR in recent times have been essential TV for the racing enthusiast.

Gimme MC any day over Ted fuppin Walsh.

Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Poor comparison!!
    McCririck is a show pony and a coward. The time Barney went at him he folded like an amateur poker player
    Chapman is far more in tune than that clown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

He's great on ATR

The whole ITV presentation is shocking and chapmans role in it is terrible whoever is producing that show is doing a terrible job

Get rid of chamberlain, mick fitz and that other cretin asap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

Poor comparison!!
    McCririck is a show pony and a coward. The time Barney went at him he folded like an amateur poker player
    Chapman is far more in tune than that clown

Chapman was mentioned to in that and I imagine would of acted the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Love him or hate him people watch him. Job done.

I like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Thought he was good on Sunday at Fairyhouse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭flos1964

Love my racing but he is the only one who makes me switch it off....they took the worst from all the racing channels and put them together on itv racing...just seen luke harvey got racing presenter of the year...jesus wept.

Also about the curley interview chapman actually wanted to sue...

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭mick malones mauser

Racing Uk is a much better channel.some very good analysis.
    Extra subscription fee so maybe not everyone's cup of tea

I like him. He’s witty, quick and knows his onions.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

think he's excellent on attheraces,

that itv show though, Luke Harvey and Mick Fitz add nothing to the show, Chapman not being utilised correctly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Chappers is good banter but i find too many of the analysts are hard to listen to.. Fitzy is by far the worst, he offers absolutely nothing when hes on ATR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭WickIow Brave

Andalucia wrote: »
    think he's excellent on attheraces,

that itv show though, Luke Harvey and Mick Fitz add nothing to the show, Chapman not being utilised correctly

Spot on. I think Chapman's brilliant. Outstanding interviewer, very quick witted and able to coax great answers. He's also not afraid to give a stong opinion. He's totally wasted on ITV with whatever they have him doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Chapman knows his stuff but he is like Alan Partridge on speed

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

He's fine on Attheraces and the On The Line programme is decent light-hearted viewing.

I haven't been a regular viewer of ITV (as I prefer RUK) but some of his stuff on there has been over the top and annoying.

ITV had the chance to get some fresh faces in, but they seem to have given more of the same...I can't stand Mick Fitzgerald yet he seems to be on some racing channel pretty much every day of the week. He talks nonsense most of the time, and does so in that annoying voice of his.

ah the old strong opinions....what are these great opinions please...what can we learn from this great man...and if that is whats passing for wit these days then wow just wow..

flos1964 wrote: »
    ah the old strong opinions....what are these great opinions please...what can we learn from this great man...and if that is whats passing for wit these days then wow just wow..

This is why we can't have nice things, folks.

Do you work for the BHA by any chance.........

just how i see it...you like him i do not...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Find him entertaining enough, but he does try a little too hard at times and its very unclear what exactly he is supposed to be doing on ITV?

Fair enough and he is knowledgeable on the subject ill give him that but his stance on the reversing of of results of races even if a horse had been knocked sideways once the distance was not close enough... he was against it ...i mean he was hardly impartial as he was drawing a wage from paddy powers or his constant going on about the whip rules....easy target when your sitting with ted walshe....mother of god he would cut a horse in two to win...or how about his mate jamie spencer....surely everybody has seen a way to cocky come from too far behind ride of his...not chapman...he tells us jamie is one of the characters of racing...thats just a few things to start with...sorry to drone on and i know the writing is not great but i hope people see where im coming from...punters need someone better in there corner than a pretendee champion like him....now i hear the phone ringing so i got to go...must be the BHA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭bookman2

At least chapman gives an opinion not like the majority of the rest of the presenters.

Fair enough and he is knowledgeable on the subject ill give him that but his stance on the reversing of of results of races even if a horse had been knocked sideways once the distance was not close enough... he was against it ...i mean he was hardly impartial as he was drawing a wage from paddy powers or his constant going on about the whip rules....easy target when your sitting with ted walshe....mother of god he would cut a horse in two to win...or how about his mate jamie spencer....surely everybody has seen a way to cocky come from too far behind ride of his...not chapman...he tells us jamie is one of the characters of racing...thats just a few things to start with...sorry to drone on and i know the writing is not great but i hope people see where im coming from...punters need someone better in there corner the a pretendee champion like him....now i hear the phone ringing so i got to go...must be the BHA.
    ....................................what now??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Fair enough and he is knowledgeable on the subject ill give him that but his stance on the reversing of of results of races even if a horse had been knocked sideways once the distance was not close enough... he was against it ...i mean he was hardly impartial as he was drawing a wage from paddy powers or his constant going on about the whip rules....easy target when your sitting with ted walshe....mother of god he would cut a horse in two to win...or how about his mate jamie spencer....surely everybody has seen a way to cocky come from too far behind ride of his...not chapman...he tells us jamie is one of the characters of racing...thats just a few things to start with...sorry to drone on and i know the writing is not great but i hope people see where im coming from...punters need someone better in there corner the a pretendee champion like him....now i hear the phone ringing so i got to go...must be the BHA.

I get what you mean for the most part but unfortunately there is very little impartial coverage of horse racing. Everybody is connected to somebody else in the industry and people from outside racing circles just come across clueless.

My god dont get me wrong... i certainly am not defending those other presenters...would rather chew off my arm than listen to fitzgearld but why no opinion on the easing off of horses in the closing stages of every race...why no opinion on the camera closing in on the winner and staying fixed on the line ignoring the other horses...are they rallying...are they easing off...surely one off the most important things to see for our form analysis....i swear to god in the last cue card haydock race the camera didnt even stay fixed on the line...they stayed with the winner after the post....they have done that a few times and where was our hero...gurning into a camera...can you think of any other sport where that would be tolerated?...so lets have his opinion on those things for a start and i have emailed him and others but still nothing.

Yeah the ITV camera angles are a complete joke but what do you expect Chapman to do about it? He's not the producer.

But he has a voice and he is in a position to use it..we dont.

And while your here Wicklow brave sorry about the earlier comment...did not mean to be sarky but can see now how it looked...i too like nice things but i also like the fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I liked him better when he was in Bros.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Like him on ATR but the whole ITV coverage is absolute fúcking sh.ite tbh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I am reading two books about Bart Cummings, trainer of the winners of twelve Melbourne cups.
    Mark Chapman interview with the great man..

Advertisement