Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

United Ireland?

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Yeah, but you'd also have to change the education system in the south to drop the fetish-like idea of compulsory Irish.

ok, that is a different issue. I was taught Irish at school, and it was purely about the language... no politics, no negative slant towards people of a different background, race, religion... it was just Gaelige. Not everyone's favorite subject by the way.

What I meant was to have some sort of education program that would promote integration of people from a Unionist background, and people from a Nationalist background. For example, the adventures of Seamus, Sammy, Heather and Aoife... and Timothy the dog, chapter 1. Five go off to Dublin.
    You have Unionists learning the language from places like East Belfast, the fact you have lessons of the Irish language on the Shankill is extraordinary but this gets lost with some. It's steady progress for Unionist people, we most certainly do not hate all things Irish as portrayed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

You have Unionists learning the language from places like East Belfast, the fact you have lessons of the Irish language on the Shankill is extraordinary but this gets lost with some. It's steady progress for Unionist people, we most certainly do not hate all things Irish as portrayed.

If hatred of all things Irish by Unionist people was sensed in what I posted, then I apologise.. it is not what I meant. I have friends from a Unionist background, I was brought up in a multi denominational area. We all get along well and have done so for years.
    Most people in the south do Irish exams as a means to an end. You need to pass Irish exams to be able to apply for Irish for most Civil service jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,111 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Yeah, but you'd also have to change the education system in the south to drop the fetish-like idea of compulsory Irish.

ok, that is a different issue. I was taught Irish at school, and it was purely about the language... no politics, no negative slant towards people of a different background, race, religion... it was just Gaelige. Not everyone's favorite subject by the way.

What I meant was to have some sort of education program that would promote integration of people from a Unionist background, and people from a Nationalist background. For example, the adventures of Seamus, Sammy, Heather and Aoife... and Timothy the dog, chapter 1. Five go off to Dublin.

That wasn't my point: my point was that i can't see the bulk of Unionists in favour of being forced to learn the Irish language purely for exam result enhancements and certain jobs the way it is here.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

That wasn't my point: my point was that i can't see the bulk of Unionists in favour of being forced to learn the Irish language purely for exam result enhancements and certain jobs the way it is here.

I completely agree, that would be stupid. A language should be something that you learn out of necessity or interest... And by necessity I don't mean requiring a certain language to apply for a government job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I say I met a chap on Sackville Street the other day and he was enquiring how many of the King's statute miles it was from Maryborough to Kingstown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

topper75 wrote: »
    I say I met a chap on Sackville Street the other day and he was enquiring how many of the King's statute miles it was from Maryborough to Kingstown.

the rest of it i get but where is (or was) maryborough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

the rest of it i get but where is (or was) maryborough?

Portlaoise.

I completely agree, that would be stupid. A language should be something that you learn out of necessity or interest... And by necessity I don't mean requiring a certain language to apply for a government job.
    Well yes - of course - but after nearly 100 years that's not happening.

But that's not my point: my point is why would unionists accept this - as it is NOW and most likely will be for some time to come - as part of a united Ireland?

Answer - they wouldn't. Not a chance in hell.

But that's not my point: my point is why would unionists accept this - as it is NOW and most likely will be for some time to come - as part of a united Ireland?

you probably know more about this than me, I didn't realize that Unionists would have to accept this as part of a UI.. it never occurred to me, and of course I can see why they wouldn't accept it.

you probably know more about this than me, I didn't realize that Unionists would have to accept this as part of a UI.. it never occurred to me, and of course I can see why they wouldn't accept it.

Fair point, hadn't considered that. I wonder would that set a tricky precedent?

Anyway, the original comment made on the first page was "Change the education system in the north to promote integration and harmony", and I'm just pointing out that a united education plan would have other points to consider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

A United Ireland is an inevitability

Fair point, hadn't considered that. I wonder would that set a tricky precedent?

Anyway, the original comment made on the first page was "Change the education system in the north to promote integration and harmony", and I'm just pointing out that a united education plan would have other points to consider.

There are schools all over Ireland now, you have probably heard of them, called Educate Together primary schools.. indeed they probably exist in the North. The idea is that they are multi denominational and offer equal access to children of all backgrounds, culture, religion.

There is one particular primary school in Ennis, County Clare and there are 26 languages spoken in that school, not as part of the curriculum of course. This is an exceptional example, but in most schools across Ireland now there is a huge diversity of nationalities and cultures, so the Educate Together school system provides an alternative for parents who want to send their children to secular schools.

This also offers children an enriching experience, and an exposure to a variety of customs and cultures that they would not experience in traditional state non-secular primary schools.

*I sound a bit patronising here.. not intentional*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

That isn't going to happen. Anyone who is learning the language is fully entitled to do so and are doing so. No one is stopping people learning the language. I could go and start learning it tomorrow if I wanted to in a few places.

Rodin wrote: »
    A United Ireland is an inevitability

Inevitable a few decades later. Pushing to unify the country now without first solving the economic/cultural/political problems would be a disaster of epic proportions for this whole island.

That isn't going to happen. Anyone who is learning the language is fully entitled to do so and are doing so. No one is stopping people learning the language. I could go and start learning it tomorrow if I wanted to in a few places.

Again, not relevant to the point I was making

Advertisement