Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people watch reality TV?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

The stupid warbling they have to put into each song to show off their 'vocal range' makes me want to break stuff if I happen to be in earshot of it and how everything is treated like it's the most....important.....moment.....of.....their.....lives..... (despite the fact that they'll go on tour with the show for a bit and then be thrown on the trash heap) and how each contestant has a parent with 5 kinds of cancer who is also in a wheelchair and runs an orphanage for blind kids and they're doing it for them so they can be proud.

Clearly I have issues with that show.....

:pac:

I've only watched two or three series and that was in the beginning but seen the odd episode since and the sob stories are quite bad.

Also I find the judge's pompous and fake. And what are they looking for? Just a good voice? I hate that boring Mariah Carey style singing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

BurnUp78 wrote: »
    I honestly find the ones on discovery/history channel the worst because they are presented as real but are obviously heavily staged/scripted. I hated flicking onto nat geo wild and instead of a lion documentary they show ****e like fish tank kings.

Or finding bigfoot, how that was ever aired is beyond me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

jamesbere wrote: »
    Or finding bigfoot, how that was ever aired is beyond me

Surely it should have been called "looking for bigfoot":D

Reality TV is shíte - TV in general is shíte.

The only thing worth watching is the sport (sometimes) and the music (sometimes).

in 40 years of watching telly - I've maybe been actually impressed with 3 or 4 shows. At least 99.99% of what I've watched was only really background noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Even after being on TV for years I still find The Apprentice entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

Some of the programmes some people watch are cheap mindless dross.

Last year we had a lot of capital shoite going on. Watching Coach Trip Road to Marbs (I think) was 30 minutes of peace and chill time. Now I'm an absolute sucker for all Coach Trips. So I absolve everyone else.

Oh yeah, I also watch the Bear (I'm a total knob) Gryllis island thing :o.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Only reality shows I watch are gogglebox and the first 48 the rest I don’t even bother with.
    The likes of the history channel and Discovery have gone down hill big time.
    The only place now that I find fairly decent documentaries are online or PBS

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I enjoyed the xfactor in the earlier days and I'd probably stilk watch a bit of the auditions if i thought of it. Having heard how set up it is makes ita bit more difficult to watch though!
    Mostly watch Netflix instead though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Candie wrote: »
    Top Gear
    PM's Q's
    6 o'clock news
    Current Affairs programs
    University Challenge
    Documentaries
    Cookery shows etc, etc,

All also reality shows.

There's a vast gulf between the best and the worst, a single judgement doesn't apply to them all.

Nah, they’re not reality shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

The stupid warbling they have to put into each song to show off their 'vocal range' makes me want to break stuff if I happen to be in earshot of it and how everything is treated like it's the most....important.....moment.....of.....their.....lives..... (despite the fact that they'll go on tour with the show for a bit and then be thrown on the trash heap) and how each contestant has a parent with 5 kinds of cancer who is also in a wheelchair and runs an orphanage for blind kids and they're doing it for them so they can be proud.

I know I'm a complete cynic generally but that show does bring out the worst in me.

My mam passed away nearly 25 years ago and it would almost be worth the humiliation of screeching on national TV to stand there and go "but you can't give me a no, I'm playing the dead mother Joker!!!"

If it ever was purely a singing competition it lost that years and years ago.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

AMKC wrote: »
    Really are peoples life's that sad that they have nothing better to do than watch that crap. We are in the golden age of TV. There is loads of great TV out there to watch loads of great shows. So why waste your time watching some z list so called celebrity or a nobody doing feck all on a cheap reality show just so they can get 15 seconds of fame. I for one can't stand these shows and certainly do not have time to waste watching them. I don't even have the time to watch all the great shows I want to watch but the time I do have I prefer to either be watching a good show on the TV or a good film at home or in the cinema.

So what exactly do you watch on TV?

• Advertisement

9or10 wrote: »
    Some of the programmes some people watch are cheap mindless dross.

Last year we had a lot of capital shoite going on. Watching Coach Trip Road to Marbs (I think) was 30 minutes of peace and chill time. Now I'm an absolute sucker for all Coach Trips. So I absolve everyone else.

Oh yeah, I also watch the Bear (I'm a total knob) Gryllis island thing :o.

Well done for someone FINALLY using his complete given name!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Lorelli! wrote: »
    I don't understand how one's like the X- Factor are still going. It's the same thing over and over.

So is soccer!

Haven't had a telly for 25 years, but occasionally get to stay somewhere that does have one. Last week, the top story (on all the news programmes) was some fella picking bits of paper out of a bowl that would decide who'd play whom in some game some time in the future ... Does that count as reality TV? :confused:

So is soccer!

Haven't had a telly for 25 years, but occasionally get to stay somewhere that does have one. Last week, the top story (on all the news programmes) was some fella picking bits of paper out of a bowl that would decide who'd play whom in some game some time in the future ... Does that count as reality TV? :confused:

Er no, no it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

The kind of people that watch reality TV shows are the same kind of brainless morons that......

Wait, I watch Big Brother, Celebrity Masterchef, Cops etc etc.... you better fcuking not be talking about me, OP!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

They were a novelty at first, and programmes like Big Brother and Come Dine with Me used to be genuinely interesting. Then all the wannabes started to take part, the programmes became more and more contrived and just ended up being complete rubbish.

Reality TV has also reached saturation point at this stage. Nothing seems to be too private (giving birth) or too mundane (someone choosing their wedding dress) to be broadcast to the nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Rupauls Drag Race is the only one I make a point to watch. Sometimes I watch Jeremy Kyle. It's junk food for the mind really, something that washes over you and doesn't require much input. It's a great antidote for some of the crap and stress of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,925 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

AMKC wrote:
    Really are peoples life's that sad that they have nothing better to do than watch that crap. We are in the golden age of TV. There is loads of great TV out there to watch loads of great shows. So why waste your time watching some z list so called celebrity or a nobody doing feck all on a cheap reality show just so they can get 15 seconds of fame. I for one can't stand these shows and certainly do not have time to waste watching them. I don't even have the time to watch all the great shows I want to watch but the time I do have I prefer to either be watching a good show on the TV or a good film at home or in the cinema.

'Golden age of tv', I think not! Majority of content is pure drivel, designed to subdue us, a marketing tool to control us, to convince us to continually consume, it's all good for us, apparently, and good for our planet, but truthfully, it's really not, in fact it's bloody terrible for us in many ways. Turn off the tv, there's better things to be doing

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    'Golden age of tv', I think not! Majority of content is pure drivel, designed to subdue us, a marketing tool to control us, to convince us to continually consume, it's all good for us, apparently, and good for our planet, but truthfully, it's really not, in fact it's bloody terrible for us in many ways. Turn off the tv, there's better things to be doing

Not on Wednesday night when Scandal is on there's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Can't Pay We'll Take it Away is a guilty pleasure for me in the truest sense. I always feel a bit dirty after watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Very good. The sob stories and sad music begin even before they open their mouths at the random "auditions".

Have to find some way the public can relate to them most these people empty vapid folk with nothing to say.

Anyone who has a personality or a soul is seen as "trouble" and the rigged voting system swiftly sees to them

All Puppets of Simon Cowell last thing they are is artists.

• Advertisement
Advertisement