Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people watch reality TV?

Options
  • 03-12-2017 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,688 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

Really are peoples life's that sad that they have nothing better to do than watch that crap. We are in the golden age of TV. There is loads of great TV out there to watch loads of great shows. So why waste your time watching some z list so called celebrity or a nobody doing feck all on a cheap reality show just so they can get 15 seconds of fame. I for one can't stand these shows and certainly do not have time to waste watching them. I don't even have the time to watch all the great shows I want to watch but the time I do have I prefer to either be watching a good show on the TV or a good film at home or in the cinema.

Comments

I love Dancing With the Stars and The Amazing Race. Love them.

My brains aren't that precious or special that I can't switch them off and enjoy something for what it is every now and then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

AMKC wrote: »
    Really are peoples life's that sad that they have nothing better to do than watch that crap. We are in the golden age of TV. There is loads of great TV out there to watch loads of great shows. So why waste your time watching some z list so called celebrity or a nobody doing feck all on a cheap reality show just so they can get 15 seconds of fame. I for one can't stand these shows and certainly do not have time to waste watching them. I don't even have the time to watch all the great shows I want to watch but the time I do have I prefer to either be watching a good show on the TV or a good film at home or in the cinema.

People commenting while watching people on tv comment about what they are watching on tv.

Gogglebox sh1t

Top Gear
    PM's Q's
    6 o'clock news
    Current Affairs programs
    University Challenge
    Documentaries
    Cookery shows etc, etc,

All also reality shows.

There's a vast gulf between the best and the worst, a single judgement doesn't apply to them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I hate the X Factor and The Voice. If I could be granted a wish I'd ask them to be removed from tv. Crime against music the entire lot of it. I'd cover it with petrol and burn it down with all the 'singers' and judges still inside. Or maybe not.... that might be too drastic.

But to answer you question because it's easy tv. It easy to make it's easy to consume and people like to cast judgement on others/celebs from the comfort of their couch. Sure we now have Gogglebox where we watch people watching telly.

Candie wrote: »
    Top Gear
    PM's Q's
    6 o'clock news
    Current Affairs programs
    University Challenge
    Documentaries
    Cookery shows etc, etc,

All also reality shows.

There's a vast gulf between the best and the worst, a single judgement doesn't apply to them all.

I think we all know what the phrase 'reality show' means. Ain't no one going to call University this show makes me feel stupid Challenge a reality show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Realty tv? Me? Nope never. Don't touch the stuff..........

• Registered Users Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Few examples of the shows would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,309 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The simple answer is everybody has their own likes and dislikes. Some of these great programs I hear about can be rubbish in my opinion!

People like their guilty little pleasures. Not everything you do, read, watch or think has to be highbrow mind-expanding stuff. Sometimes you can have a challenging day at work and just want to relax in front of something you don't have to pay acute attention to and can just let yourself be entertained by without effort.

Everything has it's place. In the case of the Kardashians, that place is in the bin, but not all reality tv is that vacuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Did you see what yer wan said to yer man?!?! Type of general interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭GMSA

It's all scripted. The American shows are the worst. Even the documentary type shows are like watching amateur role playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

It's like watching a really bad brainless action flick; it requires no real thought, you can leave your brain at the door.

Everybody has their own way of switching off, and seeing as reality TV is often portrayed in a glossy format and most people are, for some reason, obsessed with celebrity culture(or the chance to be one) it has a large market. Good cash cow too.

I despise reality TV, but I wouldn't look down on someone if they want to watch it, to each their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Because it entertains them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,099 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Because we are all different and not all of us like what you like .Personally I would prefer to converse with someone who realises this and is open to all tastes and to accept others tastes

• Registered Users Posts: 15,688 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Some fair points made. I don,t have a problem with someone else wanting to watch them they just don,t appeal to me that's all.

Ones like X factor, The Voice, gogglebox and I am a celebrity they are just terrible.

I do watch like Top Gear do but I class that as an entertainment show not a reality show.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Some fair points made. I don,t have a problem with someone else wanting to watch them they just don,t appeal to me that's all.

Ones like X factor, The Voice, gogglebox and I am a celebrity they are just terrible.

I do watch like Top Gear do but I class that as an entertainment show not a reality show.

A lot of the american ones that in theory aren't scripted are. I gave up on Bering sea gold after it became too obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I mainly watch them to participate in the forum chat here on boards. Some of the best threads I've ever been a part of are in the reality tv forum. Serious craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Gobblebox is good stuff and shows how people react to tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭shoegal1

I always say WTF when 'Naked and Afraid' comes on telly. I mean like WTF why? Also I don't get eating the gross **** on 'I'm a celeb'. Is it really real do ya think?

Some of them are utter rubbish, but even that serves a purpose. That's why it's not fair to say peoples lives must be sad if they watch reality tv. It's just entertainment, it's not a real reflection of a persons intelligence or the quality of their life. We all need a little brainless downtime now and then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I don't mind I'm a celebrity or x factor but MTV is the worst for it. Teenagers and people in their early 20's worshipping these nobodies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

I think we all know what the phrase 'reality show' means. Ain't no one going to call University this show makes me feel stupid Challenge a reality show.

"No one will call.........."

Carry on! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I always find it so brainless that it annoys me. Yet some of my friends who are far more intellegent than me can't get enough of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭BurnUp78

I honestly find the ones on discovery/history channel the worst because they are presented as real but are obviously heavily staged/scripted. I hated flicking onto nat geo wild and instead of a lion documentary they show ****e like fish tank kings.

shoegal1 wrote: »
    I always say WTF when 'Naked and Afraid' comes on telly. I mean like WTF why? Also I don't get eating the gross **** on 'I'm a celeb'. Is it really real do ya think?

Not so much that show, but I love lots of survivalist shows. The best one is Alone, love that one. Survivorman is excellent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

I'm extremely stressed lately and my head is mangled. Stuff like gogglebox gives me a nice little 30 minutes out of my own thoughts for a wee while.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Used to enjoy watching 'Deadliest Catch' - I think it was fairly close to 'reality' TV. It all went downhill from there though. Good drama is now the closest approximation of reality TV.

Oh, and I got a question right on University challenge last week.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I don't get the appeal of shows like the Kardashian one but can see why competitive ones like X Factor etc do well. I don't watch them myself but not out of snobbery, just prefer Netflix and podcasts these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

eviltwin wrote: »
    I don't get the appeal of shows like the Kardashian one but can see why competitive ones like X Factor etc do well. I don't watch them myself but not out of snobbery, just prefer Netflix and podcasts these days.

I don't understand how one's like the X- Factor are still going. It's the same thing over and over.

• Advertisement

Lorelli! wrote: »
    I don't understand how one's like the X- Factor are still going. It's the same thing over and over.

The stupid warbling they have to put into each song to show off their 'vocal range' makes me want to break stuff if I happen to be in earshot of it and how everything is treated like it's the most....important.....moment.....of.....their.....lives..... (despite the fact that they'll go on tour with the show for a bit and then be thrown on the trash heap) and how each contestant has a parent with 5 kinds of cancer who is also in a wheelchair and runs an orphanage for blind kids and they're doing it for them so they can be proud.

Clearly I have issues with that show.....

Advertisement