Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What George Hook said wasn't so bad after all, was it?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Comhra wrote: »
    Egyptian lawyer jailed for saying women in ripped jeans should be raped

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42209755?ocid=socialflow_twitter

George Hook is an Egyptian lawyer ? Never knew that. Quite the varied career he has had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

No, George is a woman in ripped jeans

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭Odhinn

No, George is a woman in ripped jeans

George would rip womens jeans if he tried to wear them, I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

What George Hook said was perfectly correct in that he was acknowledging that the world is a big bad place and advocating that people take precautions for their personal safety in lieu of that reality.

Unfortunately we now live in the age of the outraged social justice warrior where articles by leading feminists advocate that women should be able to walk naked down the street without consequences, completely oblivious to the actual world we live in.

We don't live in this fantasy utopia. It would be great if we did, but that is not the reality of the situation.

So George Hook made the mortal error of saying women should take precautions.

And was villified by opportunists in the media who seized the chance to silence one of their enemies.

Ditto for Kevin Myers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

OP is trying to pull a three card trick. The whataboutery is strong in this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Ah we don't need another George Hook debate just as he's returning to the Airways.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

There is no spoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭Odhinn

byte wrote: »
    There is no spoon.

Screw the utensils as long as there's cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I thought they’d just decided he was too ugly for radio ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Ah we don't need another George Hook debate just as he's returning to the Airways.

True

However what this lawyer said was just absoutely ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

wally1990 wrote: »
    True

To us maybe, but everyone is entitled to their view, and other cultures and traditions must be respected even if a long way from our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

What OP failed to mention in their post is that Nabih al-Wahsh was fined and sentenced to prison for saying this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

wally1990 wrote:

Agreed. Unfortunately this world is full of a-holes

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

To us maybe, but everyone is entitled to their view, and other cultures and traditions must be respected even if a long way from our own.

Human rights are universal and need to be treated as such, different traditions are fine up until they break the fundamental rights

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Ill respect others traditions and beliefs when they respect mine.
    And i had no probkem with what Hook said. People have to take responsibility for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

No they shouldn't. Some things are too barbaric to be respected. Gays are still prosecuted in many countries. Should I respect ISIS for throwing gay men off buildings just for being gay or women being stoned for adultery because that's how they roll?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    No they shouldn't. Some things are too barbaric to be respected. Gays are still prosecuted in many countries. Should I respect ISIS for throwing gay men off buildings just for being gay or women being stoned for adultery because that's how they roll?

ISIS are equal opportunity genocidal maniacs. They kill or turn into sex slaves anyone who is not them. Not just gays.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

women should be able to walk naked down the street without consequences, completely oblivious to the actual world we live in.

We don't live in this fantasy utopia.
    And we never will, with that attitude!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

first of all nobody should
    What George Hook said was perfectly correct in that he was acknowledging that the world is a big bad place and advocating that people take precautions for their personal safety in lieu of that reality.

Unfortunately we now live in the age of the outraged social justice warrior where articles by leading feminists advocate that women should be able to walk naked down the street without consequences, completely oblivious to the actual world we live in.

We don't live in this fantasy utopia. It would be great if we did, but that is not the reality of the situation.

And was villified by opportunists in the media who seized the chance to silence one of their enemies.

Ditto for Kevin Myers.

first of all nobody should be raped, attacked, assaulted etc. but there are things we can do that reduce our risk of these things happening to ourselves. of course there is no guarantee that these things wont happen

I look at these rape and sexual assault situations like someone breaking into your car
    if your parking your car you don't leave expensive items on display for thieves to see and steal , you try not to park in rough areas etc.
    if you leave you phone on the dash of your parked car, its not your fault for some scumbag stealing it but it is fair to say that there are precautions that would have reduced the likelihood of it happening .
    the thief is still responsible
    you should be able to do allsorts of things but because of scumbags you cant.
    its not the victims fault but there are things we can do to reduce the risk

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

To protect morals one must rape..

Interesting thought process

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Vela

Ditto for Kevin Myers.

I'm disgusted and disappointed at the amount of thanks this post has received.

This man said that if a woman goes home with a guy she's just met, it's her fault if she is raped.

Are.you.fcuking.kidding.me.

Every single weekend in Dublin, a girl meets a guy in a pub and goes home with him, or a guy meets a girl and goes home with her - same thing. So tell me, if all of those women are raped, you think it's their fault? That's your actual opinion? Because that's the opinion you're defending.

Words fail me.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pithythefool

Human rights are universal and need to be treated as such, different traditions are fine up until they break the fundamental rights

On the contrary. Universalism, on its own terms, mandates that there is right and wrong, and no shades of grey in-between.

So who decides universal values?

The UN declarations are nice, but not universal besides their supposed applications.

Leave every country to its own business, within reason. That is the only true universalism (ironically!)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

George Hook played a corpse in last week's Going Nowhere by Alison Spittle. Did a decent job of it too.

Vela wrote: »

This man said that if a woman goes home with a guy she's just met, it's her fault if she is raped.

Every single weekend in Dublin, a girl meets a guy in a pub and goes home with him, or a guy meets a girl and goes home with her - same thing. So tell me, if all of those women are raped, you think it's their fault? That's your actual opinion? Because that's the opinion you're defending.

Words fail me.

Its just a case of applying different parameters. He is correct in the broad sense, you are correct in a particular sense.

Theres no reason to be disgusted, surely?

Words fail me.

He didn't say that though

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

Words fail me.

They certainly do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Strong username to post correlation

milehip wrote: »
    They certainly do.

:rolleyes:

Its just a case of applying different parameters. He is correct in the broad sense, you are correct in a particular sense.

Theres no reason to be disgusted, surely?

There's every reason to be disgusted. What he said and equally implied was irreprehensible and he should be off the air entirely in my opinion.

• Advertisement

There's every reason to be disgusted. What he said and equally implied was irreprehensible and he should be off the air entirely in my opinion.

I wasn't talking about George hook, I was talking about the poster.

Advertisement