Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Specsavers Ireland: sneaky upselling

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I'm more interested, in the first instance, on finding out the legal basis of an optician having to give out the prescription? I would rather be able to quote them some specific piece of legislation or rule that mandates them to disclose this information, upon request or otherwise.

I know, in theory, one could put in a Data Protection request which strikes me as cracking a nut with a sledgehammer...

Edit: should have just Googled.

Regulation 4 of SI 455 of 2015 states:
    4. An optometrist shall carry out an eye examination to determine whether or not the patient needs to use or wear spectacles. If the optometrist determines that the patient needs to use or wear spectacles, he or she shall issue a prescription for spectacles and shall give a signed and dated prescription for spectacles to the patient, if requested.

Thus if a PD measurement is part of the prescription, then it cannot be legally withheld.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Unless you specifically ask for PD as part of the eye exam and specsavers accept your offer, the optometrist did nothing wrong by not putting it on the report - just as you can't force them to note your eye colour on the report.
    You could argue that its a breach of competition if the optometrist records the info as part of your eye exam, and specsavers intentionally withheld it from you to prevent you from purchasing your frames elsewhere.
    However, IIRC last time I got my eyes tested the measurement was done after the eye exam & when I was purchasing the frames. I've no doubt it's done this way on purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Doodah7 wrote: »
    I'm more interested, in the first instance, on finding out the legal basis of an optician having to give out the prescription? I would rather be able to quote them some specific piece of legislation or rule that mandates them to disclose this information, upon request or otherwise.

I know, in theory, one could put in a Data Protection request which strikes me as cracking a nut with a sledgehammer...

Edit: should have just Googled.

Regulation 4 of SI 455 of 2015 states:
    4. An optometrist shall carry out an eye examination to determine whether or not the patient needs to use or wear spectacles. If the optometrist determines that the patient needs to use or wear spectacles, he or she shall issue a prescription for spectacles and shall give a signed and dated prescription for spectacles to the patient, if requested.

Thus if a PD measurement is part of the prescription, then it cannot be legally withheld.

PD measurement is classed as a dispensing tool when ordering frames rather than a part of the actual prescription of the person whose eyes were tested.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Loads of sites explain how.

Here's one....

http://www.zennioptical.com/measuring-pd-infographic

Using a ruler.
    http://bfy.tw/FP1l

....... wrote: »
    Yep - I wonder what the excuse would be if I asked for it at that point?

They wouldn't need to give you an excuse. They just wouldn't have to tell you. The measurement isn't part of the eye test report. And providing you with the measurement is not part of the product you're buying.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The protection of something which is so simply meausred is petty in the extreme.

The other big chain only gave me mine because I'd bought glasses there before and because I told them i was getting something they didn't sell.

Which may not even exist - prescription welding goggles was all I could think of! This was on a cash paid test too as I needed it rapidly for work and PRSI paperwork takes time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

I'm an Optician, unconnected to the company being spoken about here as I own my own business doing something quite different now, however: The PD is a facial measurement from which the centration distance of the lenses can be calculated when frame fit and prescription usage are taken into consideration. It's not generally done as part of the eye test, it is part of the dispensing process which takes place when you purchase glasses.

Yes it only takes a minute to measure it however this is a service that is in addition to the sight test so you'll see more and more places charging for it, legally, if it's requested. You wouldn't expect a doctor to not charge you if your consultation was brief etc.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

RiseToMe wrote: »
    You wouldn't expect a doctor to not charge you if your consultation was brief etc.

I wouldn't be impressed if they asked for money for a ten second procedure innately connected to a far longer procedure they are already being paid for.

Anyway, its facile for people to do it themselves. Charging for it is just going to drive more people online.

I know the Luxottica effective monopoly is a factor in the pricing in Ireland but its not all of it - opticians simply charge too much here.

L1011 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be impressed if they asked for money for a ten second procedure innately connected to a far longer procedure they are already being paid for.

Anyway, its facile for people to do it themselves. Charging for it is just going to drive more people online.

I know the Luxottica effective monopoly is a factor in the pricing in Ireland but its not all of it - opticians simply charge too much here.

Its not a ten second procedure for patients with strabismus for example, which in my experience was a very regular occur ancestors. In addition, the intended use of the spectacles etc plays a part, as well as those people who have prescriptions over 5.00 need their BVD of the test and the frame they are purchasing to be considered in order to compensate the prescription as required as well as heights (which are adjusted downward depending on the pantoscopic tilt of the frame) to avoid prismatic effect.

Regarding pricing, you'd be surprised at the lack of margin. Designer frames into the store can cost in the region of 80 per pair, average varifocals with a coating 90 a pair, the cost of glazing if you dont have a lab on site (or the cost of said lab and staff). Add in the support staff, premises, equipment cost, optometrist salary and insurance and what's left is slim.

An arm of my current business is checking the accuracy and compliance of online suppliers of spectacles, an area I'm actually keen on, but sadly a lot of the glasses sent to us fail for a variety of reasons. In particular prescription accuracy. It appears the old saying of you get what you pay for rings true.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

At my last test the optician checked the glasses I got from Zenni and they were spot on.

Im sure most people who buy glasses online compare them with the ones they bought in a bricks and mortar store and if they notice a problem they send them back?

Id be interested in your results on checking the accuracy and compliance of bricks and mortar suppliers of glasses too.

We've done plenty of bricks and mortar ones as well, with a lot more accurate results vs online. I dont have a dog in this fight at all as it's not my area anymore, literally just my two cents on the debate as it's stands and our results as an accredited facility.

Theres a lot more to consider than just the PD in terms of accuracy of the setting of the lenses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    They are notorious for that. You might as well get the second pair, and the pressure you get put under when you give them your older frames to put the new prescription. Oh you need a change from those ones, these others suit you so much better. I don't go in without a friend anymore. And the second pair are never really free. It just means the first pair were double the price they should have been. And don't dare insult them by saying you don't need a free hearing test !

In the past I have had the experience of changing lens at Specsavers to be told that they can no longer fit my old frames. Is this another scam?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Anyone got a price list of "extras" that SS "offer after you have an eye test and choose frames? Someone mentioned €45.00 for Anti-glare "protection"

What other extras are being offered?

How much does thinner lens cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

vicwatson wrote: »
    Anyone got a price list of "extras" that SS "offer after you have an eye test and choose frames? Someone mentioned €45.00 for Anti-glare "protection"

What other extras are being offered?

How much does thinner lens cost?

Depends on how thin you need them to be. Mine are very thick as Im very short sighted at it cost €175 for the thinnest lenses when I got them last month. But I wouldn’t be able to wear them if I didn’t get the thinnest ones, as it is they’re not totally flush with the frame

Any ideas on the costs of the grades of thinner lens?

And what else do they try flog you on top of the frames prices?

Any ideas on the costs of the grades of thinner lens?

And what else do they try flog you on top of the frames prices?

I think the medium level was around €140ish? They also offer anti glare but I don’t remember how much that was as it was included in mine (I can’t remember why now).

Also just to say you absolutely don’t have to take the second pair. I explained that it wasn’t worth my while getting a second pair when I would have to pay for the lenses and they offered to keep it on file that I was entitled to a “free pair” so I could go back and get them at a later date if I wanted to. I obviously don’t know how that works in practice though

Are you saying €140.00 on top of the cost of the frames you choose?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭busymum1

It's also worth trying different branches of the same chain. One outlet locally we have found to be terrible but in the other one the staff couldn't be more helpful and professional. They have saved us money on glasses for my youngest in the past and gone out of their way to accommodate her by ordering in specific frames that she really liked. If I had just had the experience with the bigger more central outlet I would never have used them again. It's worth shopping around.
    p.s I find the anti-glare coating worth every penny for night driving. ( Last year a PRSI Eye test, two pairs with cheapest frames with standard lenses and anti-glare coating on one pair set me back 90 euros, the coating was 45 of that I think. I'm in no way connected with any opticians)

Are you saying €140.00 on top of the cost of the frames you choose?

Sorry just seeing this now. Yes that’s an extra cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Dymo

I was in Specsavers yesterday and I had two frames picked out ready to purchase but the assistant got so rude when I would not take the reflexive coating add-on, it was downhill from there, I wear contacts all of the time I rarely wear glasses and I told him that but again when I said I don't need the ultra thin lenses my prescription isn't that bad -1.75 he double downed and told me words to the effect the glasses would look stupid on me so I just asked can I have my prescription I'll check them out online then came the I'll get ripped online with Specsavers website, it's going to take 6 weeks to arrive I won't get my PRSI discount.

I didn't care, I was told to wait outside eventually he came out with my prescription and again I was told I'm going to have the same problems online and they were going to look stupid on me in front of everyone that was in the queue.

I did inform the shop of my experience what ever good that does.

Advertisement