Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cube Attain or Giant Contend

Options
  • 30-11-2017 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering which you guys would go for and why, between:
    Giant Contend SL1 Disc @ €1,399
    Giant Contend SL2 Disc @ €1,199
    Cube Attain SL Disc @ €1,119 (on sale with CRC)

I'm considering upgrading from a 7 year old Felt Z75 (albeit in great condition) as I like the idea of hydraulic disc brakes and maybe going to slightly wider tyres.

Obviously the Cube can be had cheapest, and its full 105, as opposed to the SL1 which is partial 105 and the SL2 which is Tiagra 4700. Both use the hybrid Conduct braking system, which I'm fine with. Are there any "real world" differences apart from an extra cog ? Are the Giant frames better quality ? Also, the SL1 is tubeless if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭youtheman

I have the Cube Attain Disc (in Carbon).  Only thing to note is that it has a very long headset, so the 'stack' is quite long (i.e. you are sitting up more).  Not necessarily a bad thing, some people like it. But if you like an aggressive position it might not be for you.  Also, the older version of the 105 hydraulics has a very long hood, looks quite ugly and not as comfortable as the Ultegra version.  I believe the newer version of the 105 hydraulics is more like the Ultegra.
    Regarding the hybrid brakes : I don't have mechanical disc brakes, I have 2 bikes with full hydraulic brakes.  I could consider the hybrid as a 'basta*d' solution.
    So if it was me I'd rule out the Giant Contend SL2 Disc due to the hybrid brakes.  Then I'd go for the Giant Contend SL1 Disc instead of the Cube because the stack is slightly smaller and it has the modern 105 levers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

youtheman wrote: »
    I have the Cube Attain Disc (in Carbon).  Only thing to note is that it has a very long headset, so the 'stack' is quite long (i.e. you are sitting up more).  Not necessarily a bad thing, some people like it. But if you like an aggressive position it might not be for you.  Also, the older version of the 105 hydraulics has a very long hood, looks quite ugly and not as comfortable as the Ultegra version.  I believe the newer version of the 105 hydraulics is more like the Ultegra.
    Regarding the hybrid brakes : I don't have mechanical disc brakes, I have 2 bikes with full hydraulic brakes.  I could consider the hybrid as a 'basta*d' solution.
    So if it was me I'd rule out the Giant Contend SL2 Disc due to the hybrid brakes.  Then I'd go for the Giant Contend SL1 Disc instead of the Cube because the stack is slightly smaller and it has the modern 105 levers.

Thanks for that, much appreciated indeed.

I thought the SL1 & 2 both had the same hybrid brakes ? Going to see the two Giants tonight so I'll check that out !

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bikec

I was looking at these also pretty much decided on the Cube was looking at 53 on the cube and a medium on the giant, the cube has a stack and reach of 376, 561 and Giant 377,567 so the reach is pretty much the same.

The Giant SL1 also uses the hybrid system the same as the SL2 while Cube uses the full hydro the other poster is wrong on there being new 105 level brifters the cube has the latest ones.

One other thing is the Cube has thru-axle vs QR on the Giant, the near €300 price difference for the Cube makes more sense to me and the stack on the cube is pretty much the same it was even lower on the cube for the bikes in my size range.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭jamesd

Shimano ST-RS505 on the 2017 cube on chainreactions and the same Shimano ST-RS505 on the 2016 model too - does the 2018 model have newer 105 hydro levers?
    I’ve the 2016 cube and the levers are noticeable long.

jamesd wrote: »
    Shimano ST-RS505 on the 2017 cube on chainreactions and the same Shimano ST-RS505 on the 2016 model too - does the 2018 model have newer 105 hydro levers?
    I’ve the 2016 cube and the levers are noticeable long.

ST-R505 are the newest 105 level levers, the 2018 full hydro 105 bikes use them too.

• Advertisement

Bikec wrote: »
    ST-R505 are the newest 105 level levers, the 2018 full hydro 105 bikes use them too.

Same as on the 2016 bikes too ? I find the ones on my cube look and feel really long, I’ve ultegra hyros on another bike and way more comfortable.

Does the hybrid Conduct system work well, or is it a bit of a mishmash ?

I can't decide if I think it's a pretty cool idea that still lets you use the "normal" 105 levers and still have hydraulic brakes, or a bit of a fudge !

About to put the order in on CRC, did you find a reason to go with the giants over the Cube,  I tired a bike with ST-R505's and while bit ugly found them really comfortable so they don't bother me.

About to put the order in on CRC, did you find a reason to go with the giants over the Cube,  I tired a bike with ST-R505's and while bit ugly found them really comfortable so they don't bother me.

Haven’t ordered either yet. Was out earlier looking at them both and, ya, the 505 levers on the Cube are a bit ugly alright. Seems a slightly higher spec in ways, compared to the Giant though. Honestly I’m torn between the €280 saving on the Cube Vs buying local with the Giant and getting the proper size dialled in, and “normal” 105 shifters !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Russman wrote: »
    Haven’t ordered either yet. Was out earlier looking at them both and, ya, the 505 levers on the Cube are a bit ugly alright. Seems a slightly higher spec in ways, compared to the Giant though. Honestly I’m torn between the €280 saving on the Cube Vs buying local with the Giant and getting the proper size dialled in, and “normal” 105 shifters !

Shifters bothered me at first because of their looks but after a day or 2 I forgot about that and no one ever mentioned it.On the road they suited my hands and are more comfortable than any sti I've used.

Don't know what giant wheels are like these days but my wife and I needed to upgrade straightway after buying Giants in the past in that budget.
    My attains fulcrums are good all rounders and a year later through heavy use and abuse they remain serviceable - and the tyres were another pleasant surprise. Any giant I've ridden handled well but I think the attain handles perfectly - I'm happier at higher speeds on descents etc

Lastly, those brakes worked so well I bought a set and the same sti levers and replaced Hy/Rd ultegra combo on my good bike. Btw, for some silly reason I was never a fan of cubes until I rode one. Mine is the aluminium version and my good bike is a Merida carbon. Couldn't say I favour one over the other even though the Merida is twice the cost.
    Where are you based and what size frame do you normally ride?

• Advertisement

I did find the STR505 very comfortable even more so then the standard 105 but only had tested each for around 10min. I am coming from a flatbar so wasn't sure on longer rides if that would be the case.

I’ve then on my cube and no issues, even moving over from the ultegra hyros and still no issues with comfort.

cajonlardo wrote: »
    Shifters bothered me at first because of their looks but after a day or 2 I forgot about that and no one ever mentioned it.On the road they suited my hands and are more comfortable than any sti I've used.

Don't know what giant wheels are like these days but my wife and I needed to upgrade straightway after buying Giants in the past in that budget.
    My attains fulcrums are good all rounders and a year later through heavy use and abuse they remain serviceable - and the tyres were another pleasant surprise. Any giant I've ridden handled well but I think the attain handles perfectly - I'm happier at higher speeds on descents etc

Lastly, those brakes worked so well I bought a set and the same sti levers and replaced Hy/Rd ultegra combo on my good bike. Btw, for some silly reason I was never a fan of cubes until I rode one. Mine is the aluminium version and my good bike is a Merida carbon. Couldn't say I favour one over the other even though the Merida is twice the cost.
    Where are you based and what size frame do you normally ride?

Excellent info there thanks for that.
    Had a sit on a size 56 just there in a shop, seems about right. I'm a hair under 5' 10" and have a Felt also in size 56, it's arguably a shade big, but generally very comfortable.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I have the Contend SL 2 disc. Lovely bike, brakes are great and no issues in my 6 months and 3,000km or so. I have to say that Cube would have me tempted a that money though. The only thing that annoys me about the hybrid cable/hydraulic system is the space lost on the bars. The reservoir is rather bulky and it cuts down on the space you'd want for lights etc. I'm happy with mine anyway, if you've any specific questions ask away.

I have to say that Cube would have me tempted a that money though.

Thats the thing exactly !! It seems like a good price for a "better" bike. Although at my level of leisure cycling, I'd probably never know the difference anyway. If I hadn't seen the Cube I'd have no hesitation about either of the Giants tbh.

Do you find the hydraulic attachment a bit of a distraction or is it one of those things you don't even notice after half an hour ?

Does anyone know if the full hydraulic brakes on the Cube (or any bike) can be changed to left/rear & right/front ? The Cube I sat on earlier had them the euro way round.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

I have the SL1 disc, I agree that space on handlebars is very limited. I think it's a very good price for the components you get - all Shimanos 105. Bike comes with tubeless tyres too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Does anyone know if the full hydraulic brakes on the Cube (or any bike) can be changed to left/rear & right/front ? The Cube I sat on earlier had them the euro way round.

Yes it can be changed but you have to bleed the brakes. Plenty online resources to help with that or your local shop will do it no bother

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Thats the thing exactly !! It seems like a good price for a "better" bike. Although at my level of leisure cycling, I'd probably never know the difference anyway. If I hadn't seen the Cube I'd have no hesitation about either of the Giants tbh.

Do you find the hydraulic attachment a bit of a distraction or is it one of those things you don't even notice after half an hour ?

Don't even notice the reservoir at all while riding. It was only a minor inconvenience when putting the lights on when the bike was new. All good now.

Can I ask did you order the Cube in the end ? If you did, how do you find it ?

I'm bike less at the moment having sold mine, so I need to buy asap, and I see the price has dropped a little more on CRC. I'm wondering am I mad to be considering the Giant which is basically €320 more than the Cube, given the Cube is probably a higher spec. The cynic in me keeps wondering what the catch is, are Giant frames better quality or am I just buying into the marketing too much ?��

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 fattymoon

I have the Contend SL 2 disc. Lovely bike, brakes are great and no issues in my 6 months and 3,000km or so. I have to say that Cube would have me tempted a that money though. The only thing that annoys me about the hybrid cable/hydraulic system is the space lost on the bars. The reservoir is rather bulky and it cuts down on the space you'd want for lights etc. I'm happy with mine anyway, if you've any specific questions ask away.

+1. Recently purchased a contend SL2 as well. Love it. Excellent value for money. Brakes work perfectly. I have no issue with the reservoir location and don't feel there is a lack of space around the headset - even with my garmin and front light mounted. It's a lovely solid bike and very comfortable. The 105 is nice as well. Delighted with it.

• Advertisement

fattymoon wrote: »
    +1. Recently purchased a contend SL2 as well. Love it. Excellent value for money. Brakes work perfectly. I have no issue with the reservoir location and don't feel there is a lack of space around the headset - even with my garmin and front light mounted. It's a lovely solid bike and very comfortable. The 105 is nice as well. Delighted with it.

Thanks for that. I pulled the trigger on the Contend SL Disc yesterday. Having viewed both bikes, purely IMO the frame & finish on the Giant looked better and neater to me than the Cube. Plus buying locally gives me the after sales backup if its ever needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Probably gonna buy an SL1 disc next week. Am I better off buying from the giant dublin shop rather than another giant reseller due to the hybrid system? Or does it not really matter if the shop is an officially reseller anyway?

axer wrote: »
    Probably gonna buy an SL1 disc next week. Am I better off buying from the giant dublin shop rather than another giant reseller due to the hybrid system? Or does it not really matter if the shop is an officially reseller anyway?

Can’t imagine it matters massively tbh. I’d go with wherever you get the best deal.

Can I ask did you order the Cube in the end ? If you did, how do you find it ?

I'm bike less at the moment having sold mine, so I need to buy asap, and I see the price has dropped a little more on CRC. I'm wondering am I mad to be considering the Giant which is basically €320 more than the Cube, given the Cube is probably a higher spec. The cynic in me keeps wondering what the catch is, are Giant frames better quality or am I just buying into the marketing too much ?��

Went with the Cube in the end for a few reasons that might be specific to me, first was my height put me on the cusp of the small and med
    Giant, the small Giant being a bit cramped and the med Giant having a bit tall stack. The cube was a better fit when I tried out the three.

Also, I wanted 105 and don't like the colour of the sl1 disc so along with the sizing and the Cube having full hydro, being a bit lighter, thru-axles and much cheaper it just made the Cube too good a deal I was also worried on the being able to find an alloy d-fuse seatpost for the summer for a bike camping trip I had planned.

Overall after a month of ownership I really like the bike huge improvement over my hybrid but is my first road bike so not much to compare it too

Thanks for that. I pulled the trigger on the Contend SL Disc yesterday. Having viewed both bikes, purely IMO the frame & finish on the Giant looked better and neater to me than the Cube. Plus buying locally gives me the after sales backup if its ever needed.

Good man. You'll love it. Best of luck with the new toy ;)

My bad - I purchased the SL1 (€1,399), not the SL2.

My bad - I purchased the SL1 (€1,399), not the SL2.

Its ok, that's the one I purchased, the SL 1 - should be picking it up in a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭cw girl

Rather than starting a new thread said I’d ask here as to whether anyone has any opinions, good or bad on Giant (liv) Avail SL2. It’s priced at €1,099.

The reason I’m looking at giant is that I currently have a giant rapid which I really like but need to move onto a road bike as am joining a club.

I’d be cycling a maximum of 100k sportive. In the past when I’ve used a road bike I’ve had soreness in one side in area of my shoulder blade so I want to choose right bike/size. I was in Think Bike, Rathmines last night and staff seem very helpful. They also offer 2 years of service support.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

The cube attain disc SL does look like a great bargain. Love the orange and black colour scheme too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭nilhg

cw girl wrote: »
    Rather than starting a new thread said I’d ask here as to whether anyone has any opinions, good or bad on Giant (liv) Avail SL2. It’s priced at €1,099.

The reason I’m looking at giant is that I currently have a giant rapid which I really like but need to move onto a road bike as am joining a club.

I’d be cycling a maximum of 100k sportive. In the past when I’ve used a road bike I’ve had soreness in one side in area of my shoulder blade so I want to choose right bike/size. I was in Think Bike, Rathmines last night and staff seem very helpful. They also offer 2 years of service support.

My missus has a Liv avail and loves it, finds it very comfortable, the bikes themselves are well built, her's has given great service with no trouble.

As to sizing any reputable bike shop should be able to set you up with the right size, if you think you have a particular issue then a visit to a bike fitter might be worth while, was the previous road bike you used sold specifically for you or one you had a loan of and may not have been set up properly for you?

Advertisement