Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ElectricIreland. 2x Nest 3rd Gen Thermostats + Install+ Stands + Boiler Service €164

Options
  • 29-11-2017 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭

For anyone looking to switch electricity and gas, electric ireland have a good deal on the Nest 3rd Gen thermostat.
    Some may not think this is a good deal but if your boiler needs servicing and you have dual zone heating with water then this is a cheap way to get a nest. A Nest is required for each heating zone. Eg If you have 2 heating zones and water then you need 2 Nests.

N.B. If your home was built before 2006 check with SEAI if you can get the heating control upgrade grant( €600). Do this before doing anything.
    Note: You will also need to have a BER carried out once the Nest is installed in order to be paid the grant.

€175 Credit
    €130 for a nest with stand including install.

€209 for a nest with stand, boiler service and install.
    This is a separate purchase and open to anyone.

You have to ring them to get the €175 and Nest for €130. If you do it online you will only get one or the other.

<snip - see updated information from Electric Ireland Reps in post 27>

Board Gais are offering a free Hive with install but it doesn't come close to the functionality and compatibility of the Nest.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Does this work on oil too?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭ablelocks

when does the offer end? My contract with energia is not up until end of january, and there is a €50 early termination fee...might still be worth it though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭bromley52

The €175 Credit and €130 nest is the switching offer. The Nest and boiler service for €209 is a separate offer that anyone can avail of.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Rockin

Does SEAI not cover you for up to a 600 euro refund on heating control upgrades ? (i.e buy 2x nests yourself)

I know EI will claim this on your behalf if you buy the above.

Rockin wrote: »
    Does SEAI not cover you for up to a 600 euro refund on heating control upgrades ? (i.e buy 2x nests yourself)

I know EI will claim this on your behalf if you buy the above.

They do if you have not claimed it in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

Where are you getting the second nest from as in the title if the thread? I haven't seen it mentioned in the offer

toe_knee wrote: »
    Where are you getting the second nest from as in the title if the thread? I haven't seen it mentioned in the offer

I have added a link to my 1st post and explained it a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

bromley52 wrote: »
    For anyone looking to switch electricity and gas, electric ireland have a good deal on the Nest 3rd Gen thermostat.
    Some may not think this is a good deal but if your boiler needs servicing and you have dual zone heating with water then this is a cheap way to get a nest.

€175 Credit
    €130 for a nest with stand including install.

€209 for a nest with stand, boiler service and install.
    This is a separate purchase and open to anyone.

You have to ring them to get it. If you do it online you won't get both the €175 and Nest for €130.

Ring 1850 30 50 90 to switch and avail of the Nest and €175

When you do they will give you credit of €175. Tell them you want to get the above as well but you will have to wait about 10 days before purchasing as otherwise you won't get the €175.They should make a note on their system that you can get these for the prices above.

Ring the home services dept 1850 372 333 and make sure you speak to a woman. There are only 2 on the team and the guy is a €¥&+. If you get through to him hang up and try again. If you speak to him he will refuse to give you the 2nd Nest for €209. He will look for €270 for just the Nest without service.
    Once you get through to her, ask to verify that you can get the Nests for the above. If not already there she will make the note. In 10 day it is she who will take the payment.

Board Gais are offering a free Hive with install but it doesn't come close to the functionality and compatibility of the Nest.

Have you used the Hive? I have it and it’s great . I use oil for heating btw.

Daz_ wrote: »
    Have you used the Hive? I have it and it’s great . I use oil for heating btw.

No and I'm sure it is but I went for the Nest as other smart devices like Philips Hue lights can interact with it. Eg if the Nest detects there is no one at home it will turn off the lights if left on. It will turn them on if it knows you are home. B.t.w the IKEA smart bulbs work with the Philips Hue bridge if anyone is interested.
    If you have the Nest Protect smoke and CO alarm, the boiler will shut off if the alarm is sounding, stopping gas flow.
    I'm sure I will find more useful interactions and I love tech that works together.

Hive have decided to lock their devices to only work with Hive products like another company I know. (Besides voice control, Alexa, GH etc)

thanks Bromley

nest does work with oil fired boilers.

however, it looks like the service is only for gas fired boilers - I'll be calling them tomorrow so will double check then.

edit : seai grants are only available for houses built before 2006

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭plhealy2000

Got the nest as a new customer last year.
    Rang to try get a 2nd on offer and was initially told 270.
    When I rang back this week I got it for 130. I was going g to pay the 270.
    1st one was new customer offer and second is for existing customers. Installation book for late December.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Excuse my ignorance, but why would you get 2 Nests? I have one and can't see the need for 2 of them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pp_me

Am I the only one find the OP's post extremely confusing as to what I need to do to get:

2x Nest 3rd Gen Thermostats + Install+ Stands + Boiler Service €164

pp_me wrote: »
    Am I the only one find the OP's post extremely confusing as to what I need to do to get:

2x Nest 3rd Gen Thermostats + Install+ Stands + Boiler Service €164

1st make sure your setup is suitable for a Nest. For each heating zone you will need a one. The current 3rd gen Nest also controls water.
    If so just ring them on the 1st number and they should offer you the €175 and Nest for €130 if switching. If not switching it looks like they are giving current customers the Nest for €130 as well.
    If your gas boiler needs servicing then the Nest and boiler service @€;209 is a cheap way to get a 2nd Nest installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭bren2001

Bit of a silly question.

I'm assuming with the Nest offer on EI, it includes the heatlink etc? i.e. is includes everything?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

toby2111 wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance, but why would you get 2 Nests? I have one and can't see the need for 2 of them.....

A lot of homes have two separate heating zones, usually upstairs and downstairs, which allows you to heat them separately *

So people with this sort of setup need two Nest thermostats to replace their existing thermostat. However a lot of people also only have one zone, so don't need a second one.

* It can be handy as heat rises, so often upstairs doesn't really need to be heated as much as downstairs, this helps save on heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭skydish79

Any opinions on this offer vs Energia

https://www.energia.ie/save/netatmo-offers

Energia free netatamo smart thermostat with free installation plus €50 cashback

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

skydish79 wrote: »
    Any opinions on this offer vs Energia

https://www.energia.ie/save/netatmo-offers

Energia free netatamo smart thermostat with free installation plus €50 cashback

I've Netatmo and I like it a lot, but it depends on your heating setup and what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭skydish79

bk wrote: »
    I've Netatmo and I like it a lot, but it depends on your heating setup and what you need.

Have oil boiler, getting a zone system installed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭yannakis

Rockin wrote: »

"All homeowners, including landlords, whose homes were built and occupied before 2006 can apply. Homes built from 2006 onwards should have been constructed to the 2003 Building Regulations and should not need significant upgrades. This is defined as the date your electricity meter was installed."

Source: https://www.seai.ie/grants/home-grants/better-energy-homes/heating-upgrade-grants/

• Advertisement

skydish79 wrote: »
    Have oil boiler, getting a zone system installed

The question is do you have or plan to get a separate hot water zone? As in you can heat the hot water cylinder from your boiler, without also heating your rads.

Note I'm not talking about immersion, that is different, a backup to a hot water zone.

If you have a HW zone or plan to get one, then Netatmo is not for you as it doesn't control HW zones, you need to look at Nest instead, which does.

If on the other hand you aren't getting a HW zone and have just two zones, then two Netatmo Thermostats can do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Where is the free hive offer on Bord Gais?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭yannakis

Where is the free hive offer on Bord Gais?

I found it, wasn't too hard :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭irishproduce

"Gas" man you are :)
    I rang them. Yes 24 months is the catch but still, not a bad offer

ablelocks wrote: »
    when does the offer end? My contract with energia is not up until end of january, and there is a €50 early termination fee...might still be worth it though?

spoke to home services - the current offers don't have an expiry date as of now, but that could change...

edit - that's on the nest and boiler service etc. - the switching offer I can't find an expiry date on the website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi all,

Thanks for your interest in Nest with Electric Ireland.

The €175 switching bonus credit for new customers (electricity alone or electricity plus gas, also known as Dual Fuel) is available through Electric Ireland Sales. You can make the switch via this link on the Electric Ireland website with your bank details, MPRN, GPRN (if relevant) and up-to-date meter-reading(s). There is also a saving applied to the units used on every bill – 5% (or 5.5% with Online Billing instead of postal billing) for electricity alone; 8% or 8.5% for electricity plus gas each.

After your switch and registration are completed (which is usually a matter of weeks) you can avail of the reduced Nest thermostat by contacting the Home Services team, or by purchasing it online. If you wish to purchase a second Nest thermostat, it is €270 by itself, but if you avail of the Nest thermostat and gas boiler service bundle, you can purchase the second Nest for a reduced cost as part of this offer.

The Climote heating control covers two heating zones. This can also be purchased through Electric Ireland following a switch for the bonus credit and bill savings (like above). The Climote is €90 with Electric Ireland - link, and there also a Climote and gas boiler service bundle for €169. There is a subscription fee of €19 per year for the Climote, and the first year is free with the Electric Ireland offer.

If you have any questions, we can provide some general information here on Boards.ie, and for more detailed information, we recommend contacting the dedicated Home Services team directly on 1850 372 333 (open until 6pm Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays).

Best regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

we have a dual system in that we can heat the water seperately. With the Nest thermostat is there any way of keeping the water at a certain temperature?

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

we have a dual system in that we can heat the water seperately. With the Nest thermostat is there any way of keeping the water at a certain temperature?
    Cylinder stat and zone valve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭4motion

Hi all,

Thanks for your interest in Nest with Electric Ireland.

The €175 switching bonus credit for new customers (electricity alone or electricity plus gas, also known as Dual Fuel) is available through Electric Ireland Sales. You can make the switch via this link on the Electric Ireland website with your bank details, MPRN, GPRN (if relevant) and up-to-date meter-reading(s). There is also a saving applied to the units used on every bill – 5% (or 5.5% with Online Billing instead of postal billing) for electricity alone; 8% or 8.5% for electricity plus gas each.

After your switch and registration are completed (which is usually a matter of weeks) you can avail of the reduced Nest thermostat by contacting the Home Services team, or by purchasing it online. If you wish to purchase a second Nest thermostat, it is €270 by itself, but if you avail of the Nest thermostat and gas boiler service bundle, you can purchase the second Nest for a reduced cost as part of this offer.

The Climote heating control covers two heating zones. This can also be purchased through Electric Ireland following a switch for the bonus credit and bill savings (like above). The Climote is €90 with Electric Ireland - link, and there also a Climote and gas boiler service bundle for €169.

If you have any questions, we can provide some general information here on Boards.ie, and for more detailed information, we recommend contacting the dedicated Home Services team directly on 1850 372 333 (open until 6pm Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays).

Best regards,
    Una

What about existing customers??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Sneachta

Hi Úna, do Electric Ireland do the installation also for that price?

Advertisement