Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brits claim Donegal, Southern Irish told to lump it

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

It’s amazing how many people are going “era we’re small” or “the kiwis not know the Irish border” or other such ****e.

It’s utter bollocks. Nobody is saying that the British should know Tipperary from Cork but how many countries have people educated to not know where the actual border of the actual state they actually live in begins and ends. The fact that the border is on a diffferent island is irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The RTE report on the streets of Dublin this evening was even more worrying, as many Irish people drew the border with NI to include Monaghan, Donegal and Cavan.

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2017/1129/923781-can-you-draw-the-border-with-northern-ireland/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

The RTE report on the streets of Dublin this evening was even more worrying, as many Irish people drew the border with NI to include Monaghan, Donegal and Cavan.

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2017/1129/923781-can-you-draw-the-border-with-northern-ireland/

Well the land border is tricky but Donegal is unforgiveable.. although it does look like the girl who got it wrong in the RTE version is maybe Eastern European?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

We do use Sterling here though. Everywhere accepts it. It was very confusing during the change to Euro when there was 3 currencies being used during the phase out of the punt. I'm sure it was the same in Louth, Cavan, Monaghan etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I can't watch that, did the map have county outlines or just the outline of Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Just because an interviewee draws the border incorrectly doesn't mean that the border will magically change in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Drawing a map of Ireland is setting the bar fairly low.

Can you draw a reasonably accurate map of French Indochina as at 1948, without cheating?

Can you name the capital, longest river and highest mountain of Tajikistan?

Who won the English Football Cup in 1949?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

We do use Sterling here though. Everywhere accepts it. It was very confusing during the change to Euro when there was 3 currencies being used during the phase out of the punt. I'm sure it was the same in Louth, Cavan, Monaghan etc

I was at the RDS for the horse show and a northern woman was throwing a fit because nobody accepted sterling. She mentioned that she used it in the republic before to some amazement - where? Donegal she says.

It’s interesting. Dublin isn’t that far away from the north but any influence from the north disappears past Louth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Ipso wrote: »
    I can't watch that, did the map have county outlines or just the outline of Ireland?

Just the outline of the country. I was thinking the same thing myself - if it had unnamed counties on it I'd say most people would get it right, it's drawing the boundaries of the counties that's the hard bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

I was at the RDS for the horse show and a northern woman was throwing a fit because nobody accepted sterling. She mentioned that she used it in the republic before to some amazement - where? Donegal she says.

It’s interesting. Dublin isn’t that far away from the north but any influence from the north disappears past Louth.

and on the other coast, Sligo would be the sterling boundary, with maybe the exception of Westport.. unless somebody else knows better.

As an aside, you generally can't use Northern Irish Sterling in Scotland or England.. at least thats the way it used to be. Ive been caught out myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,071 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

These things are usually posted to show their apparent superior intellect. Clickbait goldmine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Just repartition east of the Bann stays Orange, everything else ruled from Dublin, initiate an Govt sponsored resetlement into East Bann territory within a few years we outnumber the Unionists and then a United Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I lived in the UK briefly in a place that wasn’t one of the top five cities. A smallish city but not that obscure. People from home hadn’t a notion where it was or how to pronounce it.

Why would the average British person know where in Donegal is on the map?

AlanG wrote: »
    I would say most Irish people could not name all the states of the EU or identify its border but it is for most intents and purposes our international border. You would be lucky if 5% of Irish people realise that an area of South America the size of Ireland is part of the EU even though it is in the news every time there is major ESA rocket launch and appears on the Euro note map.
    French Guiana? :pac: I never noticed it on the Euro map but there you go. The more you know. :)
    As an aside, you generally can't use Northern Irish Sterling in Scotland or England.. at least thats the way it used to be. Ive been caught out myself.
    I almost was. I tried to use a NI £10 note in Liverpool. The staff member looked at it and took it upstairs, then came down and said it was fine. She hadn't seen one before.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I lived in the UK briefly in a place that wasn’t one of the top five cities. A smallish city but not that obscure. People from home hadn’t a notion where it was or how to pronounce it.

Well the issue is that they seemed to think that it was in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

AlanG wrote: »
    I would say most Irish people could not name all the states of the EU or identify its border but it is for most intents and purposes our international border. You would be lucky if 5% of Irish people realise that an area of South America the size of Ireland is part of the EU even though it is in the news every time there is major ESA rocket launch and appears on the Euro note map.

In general people shouldn't be allowed vote until they can answer basic questions, although I wouldn't include finding Réunion on a map in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Why are we constantly making excuses for ignorance? This is basic geography, taught in primary school. And I level the same charge against Irish people who don't know what currency is used in Donegal, or not having heard of one of the top 20 English cities.

They are being asked to draw one of the borders of their own fcukin country, its not as if they're being asked to draw the border between Kazakhstan and Russia

Why are we constantly making excuses for ignorance? This is basic geography, taught in primary school. And I level the same charge against Irish people who don't know what currency is used in Donegal, or not having heard of one of the top 20 English cities.

They are being asked to draw one of the borders of their own fcukin country, its not as if they're being asked to draw the border between Kazakhstan and Russia

I’m certain you wouldn’t be able to point out on the map the county in the UK that I lived in. People’s sanctimony is misplaced here. And they are overestimating their own knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I’m certain you wouldn’t be able to point out on the map the county in the UK that I lived in. People’s sanctimony is misplaced here. And overestimating their own knowledge.

But the county you lived in was not the border of Ireland, or any country I've lived in? As someone pointed out earlier, they were not asked to draw the border between Cork and Tipp, which is the equivalent of what you're asking here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I don't see how this can be defended. You are asking people from the UK to define the borders of the UK. It's not a question of understanding a foreign country, it's a question of understanding their own place.

Surely that's something that is reasonable to expect.

• Advertisement

Being able to draw the border accurately is a comparatively minor issue. When it comes to the young lady who drew the border halfway down the country, for example, I think that's more due to a failing of the British education system than it is her own ignorance. I'd be surprised if there was any other country in Europe that learns less about their history than the British.

That old bat in the red hat, however, not even recognising Ireland is a separate sovereign nation....that's the real worry. Her ignorance is probably representative of a not-unsubstantial demographic of Pro-Brexit Little Englander voters. It is a failing of democracy that her vote is equal to that of an educated person; I don't care how snobby that sounds but people like her should not be allowed vote (ideally, they shouldn't be allowed breed).

But the county you lived in was not the border of Ireland, or any country I've lived in? As someone pointed out earlier, they were not asked to draw the border between Cork and Tipp, which is the equivalent of what you're asking here.

I don’t see why that matters. What’s inside the NI border does, what’s outside of it is Ireland. The average person isn’t going to care what county it actually is. Just like individual English counties don’t generally pique our interest. You’re not really trying to see this from the point of view of a British person. We notice the mistake because it’s our country but it’s self-important to express shock at British people not knowing when our knowledge of their geography isn’t much better or at all better. Donegal is just to them an arbitrary county. It’s not particularly interesting or essential knowledge. Northern Ireland I’m sure seems quite distant to mainland UK folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Well the issue is that they seemed to think that it was in the UK

If I showed people on grafton street a blank map of the UK and asked them to draw the border between Scotland and England, how would it go?

splinter65 wrote: »
    If I showed people on grafton street a blank map of the UK and asked them to draw the border between Scotland and England, how would it go?

Are those people on Grafton Street UK citizens? If not, then the border between England and Scotland is not a border of their nation and so it's understandable they would not know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

East to West.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

The reality is this.
    Northern Ireland unionist want to be part of the union, the rest of the union, England, Scotland and Wales could not give a flying f##k about Northern Ireland.....
    If there was a referendum in the rest of the UK in what to do with Northern Ireland it would be the most one sided vote I think Britain has even seen!

Now that being said, I did laugh at them drawing the map, I likened it to the time Americans where asked to point Iraq out on a map.

But what do you expect, I was watching I am a celeb get me out of here the other day, Amir Khan the boxer was in, he asked has the UK ever had a female Prime minister...... Good question Amir good question!

splinter65 wrote: »

Better than if you asked people in London to draw the border between Leinster and Munster I can guarantee you

Half the attempts there were terrible. And even some nearing accuracy had some big mistakes. Interesting to see that a few lumped Donegal in with NI.

All this shows us is that many people struggle with geography as anyone who regularly watches Pointless knows well.

I don’t see why that matters. What’s inside the NI border does, what’s outside of it is Ireland. The average person isn’t going to care what county it actually is. Just like individual English counties don’t generally pique our interest. You’re not really trying to see this from the point of view of a British person. We notice the mistake because it’s our country but it’s self-important to express shock at British people not knowing when our knowledge of their geography isn’t much better or at all better. Donegal is just to them an arbitrary county. It’s not particularly interesting or essential knowledge. Northern Ireland I’m sure seems quite distant to mainland UK folk.

They were not asked to pick out Donegal on a map though, they were asked to draw the boundary of their country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

64% of 18-24 year olds who were registered voted, which is quite high.

Definitely wasn’t as high as that. I think they said around 36% of 18-24 bothered voting and of those who did 78% voted for remain.

Advertisement