Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brits claim Donegal, Southern Irish told to lump it

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Maybe I was being too harsh on the people in the video, cause it seems like a hell of a lot of Irish people don't realise the difference between the UK and it's constituent parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,167 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The woman nearly took the whole island! Hilarious. Great video.

I'm pretty certain Mullingar was in the North at one stage in the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Click bait nonsense... Offended about nothing, jesus h.

I'd say you'd have similar results if you went out on the streets of any town or city in Ireland and asked the same question. Young people either aren't taught this stuff (which was one of the first things said in the clip so how can you expect someone to know something if they've never been taught it) or don't give a toss.

As for the aul dear, so what. That's her opinion, which was countered afterwards by the older chap who said its going to be a total disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Grayson wrote: »
    I'm pretty certain Mullingar was in the North at one stage in the video.

Yep, and half of Galway county with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Yep, and half of Galway county with it.

West west brits.
    The worst kind.

• Advertisement

Keyzer wrote: »
    Click bait nonsense... Offended about nothing, jesus h.

I'd say you'd have similar results if you went out on the streets of any town or city in Ireland and asked the same question. Young people either aren't taught this stuff (which was one of the first things said in the clip so how can you expect someone to know something if they've never been taught it) or don't give a toss.

As for the aul dear, so what. That's her opinion, which was countered afterwards by the older chap who said its going to be a total disaster.
    What exactly was her opinion though, we lost.. something and therefore have to do what they say? It didn't really make any sense. Now of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, but when we have something like Brexit which is going to affect an awful lot of people, you do at least hope that the voters have some sort of coherent opinion and knowledge of their own country

• Registered Users Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

denismc wrote: »
    With international travel and open borders within the E.U, international borders have lost their importance.

You can drive from one end of Europe to the other without stopping which was not possible 50 years ago.
    A lot of millenials have grown up in a Europe without borders and so their significance may not mean as much to them.

Nonsense. Unless you think that the EU is the same as Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

What exactly was her opinion though, we lost.. something and therefore have to do what they say? It didn't really make any sense. Now of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, but when we have something like Brexit which is going to affect an awful lot of people, you do at least hope that the voters have some sort of coherent opinion and knowledge of their own country

I think she thinks that the whole island voted in the Brexit referendum and voted remain but the UK voted out so "Ireland lost".

Either that or she's referring to the troubles and views the peace process as a British victory over Ireland.

She's very ill informed whatever opinion she has.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

They didn't 'claim' it, the outrage is a tad OTT. They drew a line in the wrong place, hardly a hanging offence.

Not everyone thinks the world revolves around this island either.

They are British and it's a border between UK and Ireland so they should know where their own border is?

Wonder what Unionists think? They don't seem to realise that they are in a loveless marriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭AlanG

I would say most Irish people could not name all the states of the EU or identify its border but it is for most intents and purposes our international border. You would be lucky if 5% of Irish people realise that an area of South America the size of Ireland is part of the EU even though it is in the news every time there is major ESA rocket launch and appears on the Euro note map.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dinorebel

murpho999 wrote: »
    They are British and it's a border between UK and Ireland so they should know where their own border is?

Wonder what Unionists think? They don't seem to realise that they are in a loveless marriage.

I live in Donegal and have been asked a few times by people down the country do they need to change Euros for Sterling when coming up here doubt they would be able to draw the border.
    C4 interviewed a bunch of people and broadcast the stupid ones no more no less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

AlanG wrote: »
    I would say most Irish people could not name all the states of the EU or identify its border but it is for most intents and purposes our international border.

Yeah, one that I would have to show my passport a few times before I'd ever reach it. Yeah, our international border :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Ignorance is bliss, just like there was no forethought to their positive brexit vote. No details worked out beforehand just a kneejerk reaction based on bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭valoren

Donegal. The Irish equivalent of Alaska.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

dinorebel wrote:
    I live in Donegal and have been asked a few times by people down the country do they need to change Euros for Sterling when coming up here doubt they would be able to draw the border. C4 interviewed a bunch of people and broadcast the stupid ones no more no less.

Wow, that's kind of scary... Mind you I'm not surprised they couldn't draw the border,I doubt they'd do the Scottish one either, and everyone would laugh at where I'd put the Cork county line..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

A largely incoherent babble about Ireland losing out so tough sh1t.

I agree with your sentiment but its clear as day a lot of people in the UK who voted for Brexit were very ignorant to what it actually meant and were fed lies which were swallowed without question (Farrage openly admitted the NHS money thing was bullsh1t the very next morning after the election).

I remember seeing a clip on the news (tried to find it on youtube to no avail) where a reporter asked an older guy in the north of england why he voted for Brexit. He stated he was sick of immigrants coming in from other parts of Europe, specifically, the middle east and Africa. When he was informed neither of these regions are part of Europe, he turned and walked away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Well, anyone from down the country who asked if they had to use sterling in Donegal, probably wouldn't be able to draw the border either in Ireland or anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

c_man wrote: »

I know, I know, every country has such people. But if you take 10 Irish and 10 Brits, we'll know far, far more about them than the other way round.

Take 10 Manx, and 10 Irish, they'll know far, far more about Ireland than the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,167 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

She did refer to the south though.

Grayson wrote: »
    She did refer to the south though.

In the 2nd sentence right, but what the hell was the first referring to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Remember this is Channel 4 and they aren't below picking the interviews they did to give a certain bias.

Poor Donegal though.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    I did my schooling in England, and I dont recall the border with NI and The RoI being covered, that and the often references of Northern and Southern Ireland. could you blame some for getting it so wrong.

As for the woman in red, would really love to sit her down, to find out what we really lost.

Sorry but as soon as I hear "Southern Ireland" or "Southern Irish" massive alarm bells go off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

To most Brits, Ireland is an insignificant peripheral island somewhere to the west with a population half the size of London. We aren't really on their radar. The political situation with Northern Ireland is viewed merely as a minor irritation, as we have seen with some of the arrogant comments from British elected representatives in the last few days. But clearly, the history that Britain shares with Ireland is not taught in schools over there, and that's the basis of the ignorance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

To most Brits, Ireland is an insignificant peripheral island somewhere to the west with a population half the size of London. We aren't really on their radar. The political situation with Northern Ireland is viewed merely as a minor irritation, as we have seen with some of the arrogant comments from British elected representatives in the last few days. But clearly, the history that Britain shares with Ireland is not taught in schools over there, and that's the basis of the ignorance.
    True, but Ireland has a bigger population than any city in the UK, seeing as though Greater London isn't recognised as a city and the City of London itself has fewer than 10,000. That's a smaller population than County Longford. Dublin and the technical biggest city, Birmingham, have roughly the same population.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

True, but Ireland has a bigger population than any city in the UK, seeing as though Greater London isn't recognised as a city and the City of London itself has fewer than 10,000. That's a smaller population than County Longford. Dublin and the technical biggest city, Birmingham, have roughly the same population.

None of that matters. If you're in London, even the large regional cities in England don't really enter your head. The chain of importance to them goes;

London>'The Regions'(rest of England)>Wales & Scotland>Northern Ireland

The only time we enter their conscious is if we beat them at Rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,531 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Remember this is Channel 4 and they aren't below picking the interviews they did to give a certain bias.

Poor Donegal though.

Poor Donegal? One of them annexed everything north of a line from Dublin-Athlone-Galway....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

dinorebel wrote: »
    I live in Donegal and have been asked a few times by people down the country do they need to change Euros for Sterling when coming up here doubt they would be able to draw the border.
    C4 interviewed a bunch of people and broadcast the stupid ones no more no less.

I have been asked if Donegal is in Connacht and if we used sterling, Americans are laughed at for less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

Gatling wrote: »
    But do we honestly need Donegal

That reminds me of the - probably apocryphal - story that Terence O'Neill told Sean Lemass that he was fond of Donegal and wondered if there was any chance he could add it to the 'North'.

Lemass told him he could have it.....if he took Neil Blaney too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

seamus wrote: »
    I would have been the same at 18. Not a clue where anything was.

Older people may have better recall because it's of more relevance - the troubles in the North meaning that the issue was probably in the news on a regular basis; maps printed in papers to show where a bomb went off, etc etc.

However, there's been nothing major to report in Northern Ireland for the guts of 20 years. Certainly nothing that could be considered of major importance to someone in London. Omagh was probably the last major event in NI.

So conceivably anyone under 30 living in the UK can probably count on both hands the number of times anyone spoke about NI since leaving school.

So you forget the details.

Oh ffs. It’s the national border. Their border. Stop with the ludicrous excuses.

Advertisement