Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once great brands ...... now junk.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Apple.

The screen in the iphone x is made by Samsung!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

magentis wrote: »
    Apple.

If you knew how strongly economics has trumped quality control in recent Apple manufacture, you'd be amazed. They've gone down the same road Mercedes did in the late 90's, going from a design and engineering led company to an accountant led one. The consumer electronics game in China is utterly cutthroat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

it's at the end of it's current production run (ended Aug17) and we just got the first of the Final Edition models in here. It's not being replaced. Stock might last to mid 2018.
    We also get 10 year warranty over here :)

Really? You did well on the warranty, only 8 years on their Irish website! http://mitsubishi-motors.ie/car/lancer/

It's the "Grand Lancer" here and apparently an all new model, I'd imagine it will live on in the East for another decade or more!

http://grandlancer.mitsubishi-motors.com.tw/#

• Registered Users Posts: 13,182 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Back in the day, we had a Pye telly. And a Ferguson. (Not the tractor).

Kodak would probably be the sort of brand in this category.

The issue is Kodak is basically defunct since the ar** fell out of their primary business, camera film.
    jrmb wrote: »
    Polaroid, Kodak, Memorex, Praktica, Maxell

The issue with these is that throwaway cameras, camera film, instant cameras, magnetic audio tapes and CDs/DVDs to a certain extent have become obsolete.

BTW Maxell are owned by Hitachi and are still involved in production of consumer stuff like batteries.
    Archeron wrote: »
    Cadburys.

This is I think one of the brands that has nose dived in recent years.
    Unlike the others mentioned here their products still have a market, but since those fooking yanks in Kraft/Mondelez took over they have gone downhill.

I now expect the inventors of cheese in a can to some day foist on us Chocolate in a can.
    Either that or fecking Kraft cheese barrel coated in chocolate.
    bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Hewlett Packard used to be a highly respected maker of electronic equipment

Their printers are now often throwaway cheap plastic shtye.
    yeah, now they build really cheap horrible cars SUVs.
    even the Lancer has finally died

Actually a common misconception that it is the same Mitsubishi company that makes the cars and the electronics like TVs (Mitsubishi Electric).
    Mitsubishi was split into different companies by Americans at end of World War 2 thanks to the fact they were majorly involved in Japans war effort.
    Remember the Mitsubishi Zeros were the ones attacking Pearl Harbour.

Mitsubishi Motors car division is actually now 1/3 owned by Renault–Nissan and Mitsubishi Motors truck/bus division is not majorly owned by Daimler (Mercedes Benz).

The Mitsubishi companies CEOs/Chairmen meet regularly and they have done joint ventures, but they are separate companies to all other intents and purposes.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement

Manach wrote: »
    The EU.

That has always been shyte since the name change.
    You mean the EC/EEC. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

BMW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

It's not even outsourcing, it's gone from their portfolio. Philips only makes lighting and medical equipment now. Everything else was sold to other companies.

Philips, like many corporations, is very complex in terms of what the manufacture, subcontract, licence out etc., however you can still buy a large range of Philips branded consumer products that are basically crap compared to their former models for the most part. For a small selection, https://www.philips.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Hewlett Packard used to be a highly respected maker of electronic equipment

They sold the HP branding for cameras & printers to someone else.

Their main focus now is enterprise/servers/applications.

They've moved away from the hardware side of things but have let others use the HP name.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Do Mitsubishi even make TV's now? The Black Diamond was THE set to have 20 years ago.
    flaneur wrote: »
    Mitsubishi moved away from that kind of stuff in this market anyway quite some time ago. They're a huge conglomerate though and very much still in existence. They've just changed focus.

Their yokes used to be whopper too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Do Mitsubishi even make TV's now? The Black Diamond was THE set to have 20 years ago.
    flaneur wrote: »
    Mitsubishi moved away from that kind of stuff in this market anyway quite some time ago. They're a huge conglomerate though and very much still in existence. They've just changed focus.

Their yokes used to be whopper too. Hardly see them anymore.

Caliden wrote: »
    They sold the HP branding for cameras & printers to someone else.

Their main focus now is enterprise/servers/applications.

They've moved away from the hardware side of things but have let others use the HP name.

I didn't know they had sold out all printers, but I did know they are built in China.

A lot of companies are doing that now.
    For instance all those JCB branded hand and power tools have never been anywhere near a JCB factory.
    Thus don't expect anything like same quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,387 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

jrmb wrote: »
    Praktica

This is supposed to be about once great brands, not brands which were always badly made sh**e but we bought them in the 80s because we couldn't afford better. Same reason there were so many Fiats on the roads then (waiting for the tow truck, usually :p )

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

BMW

This is an excellent example. BMW have really gone to the dogs, and, unlike Mercedes, show no sign of recovery. Buying a modern beemer is an act of madness, they must be one of the most unreliable car brands on the road. They did themselves no favours with their reaction to the infamous timing chain issues, and their electronics make Peugeot look like geniuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Tazium

Marathon Bar
    Opel Fruits

Amstrad
    Commadore
    Atari
    Sega
    Psion
    Palm

Ralph Loren + most other branded clothes. /side note: vintage denim stores in Amsterdam have the original high quality Levis at a reasonable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,126 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Anyway, probably all of them. Things don't seem to last the way they used to

We have a 25 year old Brother microwave and a Ford (yes that Ford!) under counter fridge that is over 35 years old and still going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Gravelly wrote: »
    LG and Samsung are the only TV manufacturers that don't outsource the vast majority of their TV manufacturing. Sony and Panasonic effectively don't make their own product anymore, but outsource it to Taiwan.

Sony are made in china under license and are of sony design using sony boards and bar the panel sony hardware.

This is vastly different from the vestel made once top brand tv's as these are a vestel design using vestel boards and just sticking watever brand's badge on the bezel.

Panasonic use vestel for their cheaper tvs whic are just a rebadged vestel, but panasonic's own tv's are not outsourced and are made in the Czech republic by Panasonic and bar the panel they are all internally a panasonic design.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Hi-Tec runners, in the 80's to early 00's these were the sh*t

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Adidas. Use to make good trainers now cheap crap.

Same goes for most of them actually.

Only good sports brand I can think of is Lonsdale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Thought this said bands, not brands. I was slightly confused reading the replies for a few seconds.

Anyway, probably all of them. Things don't seem to last the way they used to

Ditto

Was gonna say Queen
    Should have packed it in 26 years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Are Lingus.
    Granted, I was a child but flying was such an experience then. My old lad used to work for the as a baggage handler so we flew standby quite a bit They had branded toiletries bags and CD cases with leather trim.
    Children on the flight got little packs with jellys, a colouring book and crayons and sometimes little wings lapel pins. This was around the time of the ad with Gabriel's Oboe playing and all together it seemed like the top of the line to me.

Drive to reduce costs and compete with no-frills competitors understandably forced a change. I still use them when I can and prefer the experience to some of the others, but of course, that's not saying much. Sometimes I put on that ad on YouTube and it nearly makes me emotional because of the memories it stirs.

As you say you were mostly standby so naturally the more goodies the better. I think AL are still good. No frills admittedly

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

joeysoap wrote: »
    As you say you were mostly standby so naturally the more goodies the better. I think AL are still good. No frills admittedly

At least AL don't push scratch cards in your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

magentis wrote: »
    Apple.

A completely normal business transaction.

Apple designed it and Samsung built it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

BeardySi wrote: »
    Karrimor. Turned to junk once they were bought out by Sports Direct...

I had a pair of Karrimor boots that survived snow, mountains, jungles, swamps, thousands of kilometres of hiking. When they eventually gave up I picked up a new pair, not knowing they had been bought out by Sports Direct. They looked the same, but fell apart within months. All glued together.

Heard North Face is going the same way.

Are Lingus.
    Granted, I was a child but flying was such an experience then. My old lad used to work for the as a baggage handler so we flew standby quite a bit They had branded toiletries bags and CD cases with leather trim.
    Children on the flight got little packs with jellys, a colouring book and crayons and sometimes little wings lapel pins. This was around the time of the ad with Gabriel's Oboe playing and all together it seemed like the top of the line to me.

Drive to reduce costs and compete with no-frills competitors understandably forced a change. I still use them when I can and prefer the experience to some of the others, but of course, that's not saying much. Sometimes I put on that ad on YouTube and it nearly makes me emotional because of the memories it stirs.

What it was like to be one of the very privileged Aer Lingus employees or the family of one of their employees. :mad:
    As Permebear pointed out the rest of us could but dream of branded toiletry bags, winged lapel pins and colouring whilst listening to Gabriels Oboe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Gravelly wrote: »
    I'm old enough to remember Burberry as the favoured brand of well-heeled ladies of a certain age in 70's and 80's London. I think that image of the scumbag throwing a petrol bomb during a NI riot, while wearing a Burberry (presumably knock-off) baseball cap was the final nail in their coffin as a "posh" brand.

I think it was this photo that did for them:

3E8EC51000000578-4342770-image-m-6_1490281342114.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

ballymaloe
    md23040 wrote: »
    The irony of the name - Quality Street.

Really cheap choclate that's excessively sweet. Pure muck.
    Archeron wrote: »
    Cadburys.

The cost of cocoa beans has gone way up over the last few years, it's caused chaos in the chocolate industry

• Registered Users Posts: 14,260 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

JVC and Pioneer used to do higher end stereos now they do the cheaper end stuff like Sanyo used to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Bebo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Cienciano wrote: »
    JVC and Pioneer used to do higher end stereos now they do the cheaper end stuff like Sanyo used to do.

Nah. They did more expensive lower end stuff. It was only the higher end of the high street.

Source: HiFi snob.

Advertisement