Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once great brands ...... now junk.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

even the Lancer has finally died

Lancer is still very much alive, even comes with an 8 year warranty these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭blue note

Waterford Crystal. Back in the day this was handcrafted, the best Crystal in the world. Now, machine made and the quality of materials used isn't a patch on what it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

dan1895 wrote: »
    Unless your in Canada where everyone seems to own one.

Its a Canadian product.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

USA Assorted, once the only show in town at Xmas. Now just a selection of fairly humdrum biscuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,487 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

SuperS54 wrote: »
    Lancer is still very much alive, even comes with an 8 year warranty these days!

it's at the end of it's current production run (ended Aug17) and we just got the first of the Final Edition models in here. It's not being replaced. Stock might last to mid 2018.
    We also get 10 year warranty over here :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Volkswagen has to be the posterboy for junk that was once great. Overall, I still like much of what they do but the quality issues are just horrific and the bills when they go wrong as just astonishingly unjustifiable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

SuperS54 wrote: »
    Philips, used to be a good brand, moved pretty much everything to China and outsourcing and are peddling tat these days.

It's not even outsourcing, it's gone from their portfolio. Philips only makes lighting and medical equipment now. Everything else was sold to other companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

Doc Martens. As a guy I knew once said, it used to be that if you didn't get three years of constant wear from a pair, you asked for a refund. Nowadays, you might get a third of that.
    Of course, if you want what they used to be, you can pay the extra and buy Solovairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Are Lingus.
    Granted, I was a child but flying was such an experience then. My old lad used to work for the as a baggage handler so we flew standby quite a bit They had branded toiletries bags and CD cases with leather trim.
    Children on the flight got little packs with jellys, a colouring book and crayons and sometimes little wings lapel pins. This was around the time of the ad with Gabriel's Oboe playing and all together it seemed like the top of the line to me.

Drive to reduce costs and compete with no-frills competitors understandably forced a change. I still use them when I can and prefer the experience to some of the others, but of course, that's not saying much. Sometimes I put on that ad on YouTube and it nearly makes me emotional because of the memories it stirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Levi's feel like knock offs the quality is very poor compared to years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

flaneur wrote: »
    Its a Canadian product.

I know. Still sh*te though. Bit like Irish people drinking Guinness I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Any brand that Sports Direct have got their paws on.

Came in to say this. :D

Donnay, Slazenger, Firetrap, Everlast, Kangol, Karrimor, Lonsdale.

They also own LA Gear, remember them from childhood? :P

And at one stage owned Dunlop.

Probably all made in the same factory with different labels attached. Ashley has made a habit of buying these companies from receivership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

USA Assorted, once the only show in town at Xmas. Now just a selection of fairly humdrum biscuits.

USA generally (not the biscuits), particularly since Trump but the rot started a good while ago .. Bush Jr in particular.

There was a time when the USA, despite all its problems and controversies, still epitomised cool.
    Nowadays it's really lost a lot of that shine with everything that's happened and the completely bonkers politics.

I suppose an element of a lot of the world having caught up too and we've a different perspective. Back in the day there was a huge gap between even most Europe and the US.

I mean can you imagine sticking "USA" on a product these days to make them seem 'cool' ... ? Back when those biscuits were made up someone obviously thought it was a great idea, despite the fact that they're about as American as tea and crumpets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

Sanyo was once a good quality brand name. Not sure if I can even say their new products are bad as they have pretty much disappeared over here.

Bought by Panasonic around 2010 i think, well Panasonic took over their Irish business anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Cadburys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

I have a Nokia phone and most of my jeans are Levi's. Neither brand might be the height of fashion any more, but still quality.
    Yeah still have a Nokia myself. Find the quality of Levis to be hit and miss. The ones in Poland are quite decent in my experience, the ones in Turkey less so.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

USA generally (not the biscuits), particularly since Trump but the rot started a good while ago .. Bush Jr in particular.

There was a time when the USA, despite all its problems and controversies, still epitomised cool.
    Nowadays it's really lost a lot of that shine with everything that's happened and the completely bonkers politics.

I suppose an element of a lot of the world having caught up too and we've a different perspective. Back in the day there was a huge gap between even most Europe and the US.

I mean can you imagine sticking "USA" on a product these days to make them seem 'cool' ... ? Back when those biscuits were made up someone obviously thought it was a great idea.

The name dates back to the time the US entered WW1.

I guess the high-water mark for US 'cool' for this country had to be JFK, wonder what the RCC of the time (or the general population for that matter) would have made of all his bed-hopping?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

NIMAN wrote: »
    If I was to buy a TV now, I wouldn't think about any manufacturer that isn't in this list:

Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, LG.

LG and Samsung are the only TV manufacturers that don't outsource the vast majority of their TV manufacturing. Sony and Panasonic effectively don't make their own product anymore, but outsource it to Taiwan.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

Metallica.

Oh, brands! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,200 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Raleigh bikes.
    Once a byword for quality manufacture, they are now just another badge engineered far eastern import.
    On a plus note, Taiwan must be world leaders in quality hydro formed alloy frame production and tig welding.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Gravelly wrote: »
    LG and Samsung are the only TV manufacturers that don't outsource the vast majority of their TV manufacturing. Sony and Panasonic effectively don't make their own product anymore, but outsource it to Taiwan.

They'd never stoop to that level surely?

DIKe7TKVoAImw6Z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Monster Munch. Used to be delicious, now, not so. Plus you'll be picking at your teeth for half an hour after having a bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Raleigh and Claude Butler, both age old bike manufacturers and once the cream of the crop but now they’re budget brands with very little credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Karrimor. Turned to junk once they were bought out by Sports Direct...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

They're pretty much unchanged, they just went out of fashion.

It's amazing how Levi's went from being the essence of cool to something your granddad might wear in a very short space of time.

The Clarkson Effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭brevity

Some of the Nike/Addias/Reebok stuff I see in the high street stores doesn't feel like a quality product anymore.

Maybe their high price when I was younger fooled me into thinking they were better than they actually are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Rawr wrote: »
    Apparently Burberry used to be regarded as a fancy quality brand...

...I say apparently, because by the time I had learned of the brand the Chavs/Skangers had already done a number on it :D

I'm old enough to remember Burberry as the favoured brand of well-heeled ladies of a certain age in 70's and 80's London. I think that image of the scumbag throwing a petrol bomb during a NI riot, while wearing a Burberry (presumably knock-off) baseball cap was the final nail in their coffin as a "posh" brand.
    You can close the thread now, Merc's are gone to fook :)
    padd b1975 wrote: »
    Mercedes Benz.

To be fair to Mercedes, they have come back in a big way quality-wise. I've owned numerous Mercs from 4 different decades (80's 90's 00's and 10's) and there was a steep decline from the late 80's to the mid 2000's, but their more recent offerings (especially the E Class) are among the best you can buy again.

Advertisement