Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the narcissism of RTE employees getting out of hand?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Aw c'mon.
    Love/Hate was critically well received and a massive ratings success.

Sure it wasn't going to be for everyone, but you can probably recognise that things that don't hold much value for you can be very valuable to lots of other people.
    RTÉ and public service broadcasting is like that. You mightn't see much value in it, but it is widely consumed by the Irish public.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Phoebas wrote: »
    Aw c'mon.
    Love/Hate was critically well received and a massive ratings success.

Sure it wasn't going to be for everyone, but you can probably recognise that things that don't hold much value for you can be very valuable to lots of other people.
    RTÉ and public service broadcasting is like that. You mightn't see much value in it, but it is widely consumed by the Irish public.

Yeah glamourising a subsection of society that should be in jail - worth 160 quid a year. Not.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

Keep a close eye on those who want to attack public service broadcasting.

Yeah, I don't use primary schools, so why should I pay for a service that I do not use? I don't use maternity hospitals, so why should I pay etc etc.

That's not really how public services work.

That's a ridiculous example! Show us where citizens are forced to buy primary school and maternity hospital usage licenses?

If it's a public service, fund it though general taxation, and even that should be vastly reduced - covering news and current affairs. Leave the entertainment to the commercial channels, they seem to be able to fund their operation through advertising primarily, RTE seem to flush this revenue and most of the license revenue straight down the toilet!

Zirconia wrote: »
    That's a ridiculous example! Show us where citizens are forced to buy primary school and maternity hospital usage licenses?

If it's a public service, fund it though general taxation, and even that should be vastly reduced - covering news and current affairs. Leave the entertainment to the commercial channels, they seem to be able to fund their operation through advertising primarily, RTE seem to flush this revenue and most of the license revenue straight down the toilet!

Do we really need a follow up programme on Liveline ???
    Does there have to be a Saturday night chat show identical to the LLS - but worse (if indeed that's possible ?)

Pissing away the licence fee indeed. I get the BBC fee but RTE has f**king sponsorship and adverts! Cut it now!

Yeah glamourising a subsection of society that should be in jail - worth 160 quid a year. Not.

Well at least you watched it, and if you didn't like it that's fine.

It wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but it was hugely popular. It's probably not the best exhibit to put forward to demonstrate how poor RTÉ are.

• Advertisement

Do we really need a follow up programme on Liveline ???
    Does there have to be a Saturday night chat show identical to the LLS - but worse (if indeed that's possible ?)

Pissing away the licence fee indeed. I get the BBC fee but RTE has f**king sponsorship and adverts! Cut it now!

D 'Arcy is like a barnacle on a rock, we can't be shot of him as his powerbroker wife dictates proceedings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Yeah Bridget dear, that did not happen.

Lying mare.

Yeah, folks are telling people to report her tweet for the lying wench that she is.

Was she told to tweet that idiocy?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Tony Connelly is at least one justification for the licence fee to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 40,285 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I'm not sure it glamourised their lives at all. It showed them living short, brutal lives full of fear and paranoia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

I'm not sure it glamourised their lives at all. It showed them living short, brutal lives full of fear and paranoia.

Ah now you’re forgetting the numerous scenes of coke and hookers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,652 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Ah now you’re forgetting the numerous scenes of coke and hookers.
    They just showed it to be so seedy - not anything that most people would be craving to get involved with.

D 'Arcy is like a barnacle on a rock, we can't be shot of him as his powerbroker wife dictates proceedings.
    I thought she was gone off his show at the moment anyway?
    lawred2 wrote: »
    Tony Connelly is at least one justification for the licence fee to be fair
    True, and in fairness, the RTE kids news explainer on Brexit travelled far and wide, and was well received in the UK and beyond.

Ireland's Fittest Families is another example of a really strong show from RTE - positive role models, great engagement with the competition - is a big, big deal for many families with kids and teens. I know one family last year was looking for merchandise as christmas presents, as the kids were so obsessed with it. Isn't it great to see kids getting into that instead of X Factor or Kardashians?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

I wouldn't say it glamourised that racket. Getting shot in your back garden in front of your kid or being sodomized with a pool cue wouldn't sell it to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

But lots of people think that public sector broadcasting is an important public service.
    Certainly not the most crucial public service we have, but certainly one that is universally available and widely used.

Yep. What would we do without RTÉ today??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Something from North Korea, or from
    2.1.1 Argentina
    2.1.2 Brazil
    2.1.3 Canada
    2.1.4 Chile
    2.1.5 Ecuador
    2.1.6 United States
    2.1.7 Venezuela
    2.2 Asia
    2.2.1 Afghanistan
    2.2.2 Bangladesh
    2.2.3 Hong Kong
    2.2.4 India
    2.2.5 Israel
    2.2.6 Japan
    2.2.7 Macau
    2.2.8 Malaysia
    2.2.9 Nepal
    2.2.10 Pakistan
    2.2.11 Philippines
    2.2.12 South Korea
    2.2.13 Taiwan
    2.3.1 Albania
    2.3.2 Austria
    2.3.3 Belgium
    2.3.4 Bulgaria
    2.3.5 Croatia
    2.3.6 Czech Republic
    2.3.7 Denmark
    2.3.8 Faroe Islands
    2.3.9 Estonia
    2.3.10 Finland
    2.3.11 France
    2.3.12 Germany
    2.3.13 Greece
    2.3.14 Iceland
    2.3.15 Ireland
    2.3.16 Hungary
    2.3.17 Italy
    2.3.18 Lithuania
    2.3.19 Malta
    2.3.20 Moldova
    2.3.21 Montenegro
    2.3.22 Netherlands
    2.3.23 Poland
    2.3.24 Portugal
    2.3.25 Romania
    2.3.26 Nordic countries
    2.3.27 Serbia
    2.3.28 Slovakia
    2.3.29 Spain
    2.3.30 Sweden
    2.3.31 United Kingdom
    2.4.1 Australia
    2.4.2 New Zealand

Most civilised societies have some form of public service broadcasting. Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_broadcasting
    Countries with public service broadcasting have less right-wing extremism and more press freedom Source: https://www.coe.int/en/web/commissioner/-/public-service-broadcasting-under-threat-in-europe?desktop=true

Yeah, I don't use primary schools, so why should I pay for a service that I do not use? I don't use maternity hospitals, so why should I pay etc etc.

I see the value in public services (primary schools, healthcare etc) so your argument is a bit ridiculous. I don't see any value in RTE, certainly with the way it is being run now. It should be an optional service: if there are people out there who want to pay to support the cronyism, nepositism and over-inflated salaries in RTE, then fire away. But don't force me to do it if I don't want to, and certainly don't threaten me with the law if I refuse to pay for a sub-standard service.

As I said I have no problem paying for a good service. I am contributing to my local radio station, which has more genuine talent on in than RTE, and it's people doing it for free. I'll pay Netflix a few quid a month because it entertains me. RTE should be ashamed of itself, of it's greed and arrogance. It's a Dublin-centered small pond; it's a joke. It copies everything from the UK or better broadcasters, and then says look at us aren't we great, we came up with this **** by ourselves (no you didn't!).

I have no problem with a public tv or radio service, and yes there should be a public service in each country. But do all those countries you listed compel you to pay a television licence??? Show me that stat. That's the one that really counts.

Even in America, yes there may be PBS, but there are also tv networks like NBC, ABC, CBS which have been around a long time, ie competition, which can only be a good thing for viewers. In Ireland it's RTE or sub-ITV TV3. Not much in terms of competition is there, and the high-paying jobs are in RTE, so everybody aspires to go there.

If the government wants to fund a national broadcaster, then do so through taxes, and make RTE accountable for how they spend their money. But don't ask me for €160 to finance those c*nts Tubridy, Joe Duffy, Dee Forbes, and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

The licence-fee is used by the government like a choke-chain on RTE to keep them generally in line.

Anyone remember that politician on RTE Radio a few years back lashing out at one interviewer, stating that he was on the working-committee that decides the licence fee, and the interviewer having to remind him that he was live on air?

Early 2000's I think.

Yep. What would we do without RTÉ today??

Switch over to one of the multitude of other choices available to you.
    Simple.

Simple.

But still have to pay for it under pain of sanctions, fines and possibly jail ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Simple.

I do. Never watch RTÉ. But you are the one who stated it was a public service. What public service does Home and Away,Neighbours or repeats of Eastenders and Fair City provide??

I do. Never watch RTÉ. But you are the one who stated it was a public service. What public service does Home and Away,Neighbours or repeats of Eastenders and Fair City provide??

Cheaper and less addictive that sleeping pills ?

Cheaper and less addictive that sleeping pills ?

But more likely to induce suicide!

• Advertisement

That's right.
    Similar to other public services that you don't use but have to pay for.

It's swings and roundabouts. I bet there are public services that you consume but other people don't but still have to pay for.

That's right.
    Similar to other public services that you don't use but have to pay for.

It's swings and roundabouts. I bet there are public services that you consume but other people don't but still have to pay for.

How is RTE a "public service" akin to hospitals and roads ?

I know your not stupid, so I'll work on the assumption that you are just pretending to be.

RTÉ are a public service broadcaster, but that doesn't mean that all of their content is public service broadcasting.

How is RTE a "public service" akin to hospitals and roads ?

Who said it was akin to hospitals and roads?
    Not me anyway.

Think more in the line of museums and libraries.

Who said it was akin to hospitals and roads?
    Not me anyway.

Think more in the line of museums and libraries.

Fair City ? Da Vinci and Picasso ?

Yeah. The same alright.

Fair City ? Da Vinci and Picasso ?

Yeah. The same alright.
    As I said, if it isn't your cup of tea then switch over to a different channel, or visit one of our museums and check out one of our vast collections of works by DaVinci or Picasso.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Demonique

jetsonx wrote: »
    Montrose should be declared its own little country at this stage. Albeit a small country. (In fact, no, I would say a small cosy little bubble). Inside this little bubble live loads of RTE people who think they are so great and talented that they are now dedicating programs to guess who?...themselves. The undercurrent of all these programs is that “we’re extra-ordinary people doing an extra-ordinary job”. Yes, folks it’s gone that bad. Nearly every Late Late Show is now dedicated to the RTE stars themselves (freshly recruited from the canteen) all telling us (the plebs) how great they are. Like a lot of RTE indigenous programming - its become one big RTE-love-in. No wonder genuinely talented people like Pat Kenny left. Discuss.

That part kept me from liking your post, Pat Kenny was the most mediocre and overpaid of the lot of them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,153 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

lawred2 wrote: »
    you never watch anything on RTE? Ever?

not even the news

or sport?

nothing? ever?

never listen to rte stations on the radio ever?

Sport ?

TG4 now probably offers more sport than RTE.

RTE no longer are covering English Premier League, Heineken ERC Cup, Pro 14.
    I remembered when they had live coverage of such things as Wimbledon, RDS Horse Show, Tour de France.
    Some of those are now done by TG4.

They no longer cover all of Ireland's rugby matches, or Rep of Ireland's soccer matches.
    Hell AFAIK they didn't even have radio coverage of the day that Ireland beat the Kiwis for the first time ever.

They no longer cover all of the GAA championship calendar either, and I am tired of having to go to pub to watch some matches on Sky.
    Something from North Korea, or from

Most civilised societies have some form of public service broadcasting. Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_broadcasting
    Countries with public service broadcasting have less right-wing extremism and more press freedom Source: https://www.coe.int/en/web/commissioner/-/public-service-broadcasting-under-threat-in-europe?desktop=true

A lot of what RTE offers is in no bloody way public service broadcasting.
    Australian and British soaps, repeats of same ad nauseam.
    A home grown soap, a few chat shows that are basically vehicles for over paid supposed talent.
    The amount of fawning they do over their own is vomit inducing.

Sad to think that an old sick octogenarian is still miles head and shoulders above anything that RTE currently have.

Hell I heard Mike Murphy interviewed the other day by another of the current crop of supposed stars i.e. overpaid sanctimonious opionated ar**holes ray d'arcy.

77 year old Mike Murphy has probably forgotten more about broadcasting than that eejit from Kildare will ever know.

And then when they do current affairs the shows are in no way objective, see for prime example how they dealt with Peter Casey, same for way they deal with discussion on immigration.
    FFS you can be sure who the usual chancers characters they have on the shows with the same bleating arguments.
    They now don't even bother offering a different opinion ala someone like Ian O'Doherty.

Prime Time Investigates is about the only thing that has created anything of value in the last 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

I wonder if they'll be as quick to threaten the "New Irish" with this for non payment.

• Advertisement

I wonder how many travellers pay the licence fee, or are fined/imprisoned if they don't. They are really going to police that!

Advertisement