Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the narcissism of RTE employees getting out of hand?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Tubs really embarrased himself by threatening Casey on the show on Friday .... "If I lose my cool - you'll know about it" .... what a virtue signaling skinny twerp.

Let him live next to a halting site, no chance of that with his gated Dalkey mansion ... or wherever posh neighbourhood the f*ck he lives ...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Tubs really embarrased himself by threatening Casey on the show on Friday .... "If I lose my cool - you'll know about it" .... what a virtue signaling skinny twerp.

Let him live next to a halting site, no chance of that with his gated Dalkey mansion ... or wherever posh neighbourhood the f*ck he lives ...

That was comedy gold to be fair. Tubs wouldn't beat his way out of a wet paper bag.

Sounded so ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

elperello wrote: »
    Not quite true.

If you don't have a TV you need never "pay for them".

If you have a TV you need a licence.

If you have a TV and no licence you can be fined.

If you don't pay the fine then you may be sent to jail.

You have to open the door to them first.

Inspectors called all the time to my old apt, but rather uselessly during office hours or Saturdays when I was out anyway.

RTE front line presenters are entitled big fish in a rather small pond. There was a time when we had a subsidised "flag carrier" airline IE Aer Lingus, perhaps it's time we could do without a broadcasting equivalent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Neon Demon

D' Arcy is in the throes of menopause with his perpetual whine. As for Tubridy, beyond cringeworthy trying to compete with his guests when he isn't interrupting them mid-sentence. I remember a Bill Bailey 'interview' several years back, who mopped the floor with Tubs when he acted the upstart. Then there was that shambles a few nights ago in setting Casey up for a public hanging. An incorrigible eejit, who we have to endure because he is related to the right people. Compare that with Gay Byrne, a master of his craft. Why? Because he asked a straightforward question, sat back and listened.

Gay Byrne wasn't much of a master when he tried to ambush Gerry Adams with a panel of Irish Free State goons. Gerry wiped the floor with them. And Gay as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I'm not going to pay a TV licence on principle: I do not watch RTE, or any Irish tv come to think of it. I have to pay to own an electrical device, and that money is used to finance a bloated media organisation that I never engage with? F*ck off. I also never listen to RTE radio, so I am not going to be bullied into paying money for a service I don't use, to keep a bunch a **** in Donnybrook living the high life. RTE have never produced a genuinely world-class entertainment show, their presenters are mediocre and would not be hired outside the RTE bubble/jerk circle. And yet they say they are under-funder and are losing money? Cheeky bastards. Typical Irish cronyism and nepotism; I think we are all getting sick of that ****e in this country. We have had our fill of it.

In a day of subscriptions for tv services, where you can play Netflix/Hulu/Amazon, I think RTE should now be subscription based: if you want it, subscribe to it, £5-£10 per month. See how many people would pay for that cack if they weren't bullied into it. Tubridy would be down from €500k to €50 very quickly and would be very glad to get that. Oh, he might leave us for BBC! Oh Ryan, please don't go; what will we do without your inane questions, your inability to engage with your guests, and your weaselly visage! Not that they would ever hire him, but he would be found out very quickly in the BBC. Much better to be a big fish in a small pond, especially when the pond is next door to where you grew up and went to college. Oh, and your granddaddy founded the organisation you work for. Makes me sick, the blatant nepotism in this country's media. They don't even try to hide it

I get all my tv/radio/podcasts online so I don't have to waste time and energy channel surfing endless dross. I also love my local radio station: I get everything I need from it, including great music, played by people that have a love of music, not just spinning a generic playlist like most major broadcasters. I'm actually going to make a donation to them in the coming weeks, because I appreciate all the effort they put in to making a great radio station and giving up their time and energy for little in return. I would happily give them €160 a year, and it would be well earned. I wouldn't give RTE or Newstalk or any of those ****e commercial radio stations the steam of my piss.

• Advertisement

I believe he didn't say much to John Connors when he was calling Gardai scum. Brave man Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Anyone have a screen grab of this tweet?

I've mentioned it elsewhere but this was a blatant attempt to smear Casey as an idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about. It was an attempt to discredit him. Someone posted a transcript where he speaks of direct provision exposing her subterfuge.

The only reason I can think that she would tweet what she did was because, in the cosseted world of Montrose, Casey is dangerous, a threat. Why? He's a millionaire who is not beholden to anyone and is merely giving his opinion, which while clearly not media savvy and scattershot, still managed to hit the bulls eye on the traveller community . That's the danger.

His opinion was that he doesn't believe the travelling community should have been given ethnic status, that it marginalized them even more if anything and that every citizen ought to be treated equally. That's an opinion. It is not hatred or racism but the media smelt blood.

The result of that was accusations of racism, hate speech up to this tweet claiming he's an idiot. Why the vitriol? Because he's dangerous and with aspirations too. The support he received indicates that his speaking plainly might out another suppressed opinion i.e. that RTE is a complete shambles financially and has to be put right and financially balanced.

There are threads here on boards highlighting the waste there. Recall the secret producer tweets, which were effectively a call for efficiency and remember the vitriol and bile which was forthcoming. There is an attitude of keeping your mouth shut. That tweeter needed to be anonymous as they were beholden to their job and feared the sack for stating the obvious. Casey is not beholden as mentioned.

The leaping to the moralistic defence of the travelling community is merely a front, a smokescreen to provide cover for the underlying reality that the cosseted media clique of RTE themselves, with individuals pocketing more than the Taoiseach's salary for literally hours of work per week, are knowingly a prime target for a disgruntled electorate whose vote for Casey was a protest vote.

The tweet from Zampadoodle was indicative that the person aiming at prime targets needs to be gotten rid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

^^^ in this way, Casey is like Trump
    The media hate him because he dosnt care what they say. All they have is words and if those words are water off a ducks back, that constitutes an existential threat for the media.

valoren wrote: »
    I've mentioned it elsewhere but this was a blatant attempt to smear Casey as an idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about. It was an attempt to discredit him. Someone posted a transcript where he speaks of direct provision exposing her subterfuge.

The only reason I can think that she would tweet what she did was because, in the cosseted world of Montrose, Casey is dangerous, a threat. Why? He's a millionaire who is not beholden to anyone and is merely giving his opinion, which while clearly not media savvy and scattershot, still managed to hit the bulls eye on the traveller community . That's the danger.

His opinion was that he doesn't believe the travelling community should have been given ethnic status, that it marginalized them even more if anything and that every citizen ought to be treated equally. That's an opinion. It is not hatred or racism but the media smelt blood.

The result of that was accusations of racism, hate speech up to this tweet claiming he's an idiot. Why the vitriol? Because he's dangerous and with aspirations too. The support he received indicates that his speaking plainly might out another suppressed opinion i.e. that RTE is a complete shambles financially and has to be put right and financially balanced.

There are threads here on boards highlighting the waste there. Recall the secret producer tweets, which were effectively a call for efficiency and remember the vitriol and bile which was forthcoming. There is an attitude of keeping your mouth shut. That tweeter needed to be anonymous as they were beholden to their job and feared the sack for stating the obvious. Casey is not beholden as mentioned.

The leaping to the moralistic defence of the travelling community is merely a front, a smokescreen to provide cover for the underlying reality that the cosseted media clique of RTE themselves, with individuals pocketing more than the Taoiseach's salary for literally hours of work per week, are knowingly a prime target for a disgruntled electorate whose vote for Casey was a protest vote.

The tweet from Zampadoodle was indicative that the person aiming at prime targets needs to be gotten rid of.

so you think it's all a big conspiracy :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Outside of news and some good documentaries RTE TV needs a serious looking at. RTE Radio 1 isn’t bad to be fair. I don’t listen to 2fm so can’t comment on that station.
    I feel RTE output is very Dublin centered.

1. I would love a travel program on our towns across the country. Where they meet local characters and where the characters talk about and showcase their local town supervised by an experienced broadcaster.
    2. I would love a series dedicated to mental health. A serious top class investigative series into how our brain works, why we feel as we feel and how to manage your thoughts.

• Advertisement

holyhead wrote: »
    Outside of news and some good documentaries RTE TV needs a serious looking at. RTE Radio 1 isn’t bad to be fair. I don’t listen to 2fm so can’t comment on that station.
    I feel RTE output is very Dublin centered.

1. I would love a travel program on our towns across the country. Where they meet local characters and where the characters talk about and showcase their local town supervised by an experienced broadcaster.
    2. I would love a series dedicated to mental health. A serious top class investigative series into how our brain works, why we feel as we feel and how to manage your thoughts.

Is point 1 not nationwide?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Drunk with power.

Mostly drunk with alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,652 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

WE only have two domestic TV channels, RTE and Virgin Media (TV3), RTE has nearly 2,000 staff, receives all the revenue from the TV licence, receives advertising revenue, has over 60 years experience.

TV3 has 200 employees, has to survive on budgets much lower than RTE, and yet, despite this, TV3 are rarely in any kind of controversy.

RTE on the other hand, are rarely out of trouble, they go from one scandal to the next, they have journalists that are constantly involved in Tribunals, Scandals and poor behaviour.

Things are very bad when TV3 (now Virgin Media) are the standard bearers in Irish Television.
    Yeah, but you forgot to mention that just about everything on VM is crap - pretty much everything. All tabloid, all lowest common denominator soap/reality/chat crap. It really is all crap.

Is there any show on VM that actually engages the brain?
    lawred2 wrote: »
    That was comedy gold to be fair. Tubs wouldn't beat his way out of a wet paper bag.

Sounded so ridiculous

Kinda like this?

^^^ in this way, Casey is like Trump
    The media hate him because he dosnt care what they say. All they have is words and if those words are water off a ducks back, that constitutes an existential threat for the media.
    If the media hate him so much, why have they given him wall-to-wall coverage for the last month or so, when it is clear he has nothing to day beyond having a go at vulnerable groups?
    valoren wrote: »
    The result of that was accusations of racism, hate speech up to this tweet claiming he's an idiot. Why the vitriol?
    Because he is an idiot, perhaps?

He's decided that he's going to be leader of Fianna Fail, despite the fact that he shares no policies with them, and they've told him to go away. He appointed himself as spokesperson for the Stardust families, and they told him to stuff his anti-traveler narrative.

On the broader issue, there is certainly an issue with lots of cosseted, overpaid 'talent' at RTE, but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. We need decent public service broadcasting, if we're going avoid making dumb decisions like Trump and Brexit, steered by foreign powers.

RTE does some decent public service broadcasting, particularly Prime Time Investigates. We wouldn't have the whole HIQA structure regulating nursing homes and disability services if it wasn't for Prime Time Investigates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

so you think it's all a big conspiracy :rolleyes:

I keep thinking of that part from The Two Towers where the Uruk Hai are attacking helms deep. It's a good analogy. Clearly there's a wall of defence that they need to breach. The ladders and the sheer numbers are having little to no effect. (by analogy, we can keep moaning about the license fee and cosseted stars but it will have no effect). Aragorn et al have the high ground. But Aragorn isn't stupid. He knows there is a chink. He, like Saruman, knows about the small culvert 'little more than a drain' at the base of the wall. It's that innocuous drain (in RTE's case the draining finances, the mounting losses) which will ultimately bring down the wall (which will be rebuilt sans culvert in future i.e. a financially stable public broadcaster).

So when Aragorn, through the melee, see's a few sparks from an Uruk (Peter Casey) sprinting directly towards that very culvert with a lighting flare he completely freaks out. He recognises the danger and the damage one Uruk can cause in spite of the clamouring thousands of Uruk's surrounding him.

He screams at Legolas to take him down. One arrow (a deeply unprofessional interview by Tubs) hits the runner yet he keeps on going. Another (a blatantly lying tweet from Jennifer) is fired off. Again it hits but the Uruk's momentum keeps him going now and before he succumbs to the wounds he manages to dive into the culvert and the gun powder placed there ignites and destroys the wall.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

I'm not going to pay a TV licence on principle: I do not watch RTE, or any Irish tv come to think of it. I have to pay to own an electrical device, and that money is used to finance a bloated media organisation that I never engage with? F*ck off. I also never listen to RTE radio, so I am not going to be bullied into paying money for a service I don't use, to keep a bunch a **** in Donnybrook living the high life. RTE have never produced a genuinely world-class entertainment show, their presenters are mediocre and would not be hired outside the RTE bubble/jerk circle. And yet they say they are under-funder and are losing money? Cheeky bastards. Typical Irish cronyism and nepotism; I think we are all getting sick of that ****e in this country. We have had our fill of it.

In a day of subscriptions for tv services, where you can play Netflix/Hulu/Amazon, I think RTE should now be subscription based: if you want it, subscribe to it, £5-£10 per month. See how many people would pay for that cack if they weren't bullied into it. Tubridy would be down from €500k to €50 very quickly and would be very glad to get that. Oh, he might leave us for BBC! Oh Ryan, please don't go; what will we do without your inane questions, your inability to engage with your guests, and your weaselly visage! Not that they would ever hire him, but he would be found out very quickly in the BBC. Much better to be a big fish in a small pond, especially when the pond is next door to where you grew up and went to college. Oh, and your granddaddy founded the organisation you work for. Makes me sick, the blatant nepotism in this country's media. They don't even try to hide it

I get all my tv/radio/podcasts online so I don't have to waste time and energy channel surfing endless dross. I also love my local radio station: I get everything I need from it, including great music, played by people that have a love of music, not just spinning a generic playlist like most major broadcasters. I'm actually going to make a donation to them in the coming weeks, because I appreciate all the effort they put in to making a great radio station and giving up their time and energy for little in return. I would happily give them €160 a year, and it would be well earned. I wouldn't give RTE or Newstalk or any of those ****e commercial radio stations the steam of my piss.

Brilliant post.

We have no choice but to pay a tv license as it’s against the law.

Even though we don’t want to watch RTE.

Sounds like something from North Korea.

Brilliant post.

We have no choice but to pay a tv license as it’s againat the law.

you never watch anything on RTE? Ever?

not even the news

or sport?

nothing? ever?

never listen to rte stations on the radio ever?

Fair enough if you don't. But even for me who doesn't watch much TV - I can't say I've never consumed any RTE content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

you never watch anything on RTE? Ever?

I watched the late late and some debates.

Might as well seems I’m paying for it through threats of jail if I don’t.

If I was given the choice of not having to pay and miss the late late show I’d take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I'm confused.
    How is it that many of the people who think RTÉ content is rubbish seem to have intimate knowledge of many of the RTÉ 'stars'?

There's loads of alternatives out there - why not just turn your dial to something better?
    You don't have to suffer.

Phoebas wrote: »
    I'm confused.
    How is it that many of the people who think RTÉ content is rubbish seem to have intimate knowledge of many of the RTÉ 'stars'?

There's loads of alternatives out there - why not just turn your dial to something better?
    You don't have to suffer.

I never watch ANYTHING on RTE but by law I'm supposed to pay for it. Why should I have to pay for a service that I do not use? That law needs to change, then we'll see big changes in RTE.

I never watch ANYTHING on RTE but by law I'm supposed to pay for it. Why should I have to pay for a service that I do not use? That law needs to change, then we'll see big changes in RTE.

I hear ye.
    I pay a small fortune in taxes every month for public services that I rarely consume.

• Advertisement

We have no choice but to pay a tv license as it’s against the law.

Something from North Korea, or from
    2.1.1 Argentina
    2.1.2 Brazil
    2.1.3 Canada
    2.1.4 Chile
    2.1.5 Ecuador
    2.1.6 United States
    2.1.7 Venezuela
    2.2 Asia
    2.2.1 Afghanistan
    2.2.2 Bangladesh
    2.2.3 Hong Kong
    2.2.4 India
    2.2.5 Israel
    2.2.6 Japan
    2.2.7 Macau
    2.2.8 Malaysia
    2.2.9 Nepal
    2.2.10 Pakistan
    2.2.11 Philippines
    2.2.12 South Korea
    2.2.13 Taiwan
    2.3.1 Albania
    2.3.2 Austria
    2.3.3 Belgium
    2.3.4 Bulgaria
    2.3.5 Croatia
    2.3.6 Czech Republic
    2.3.7 Denmark
    2.3.8 Faroe Islands
    2.3.9 Estonia
    2.3.10 Finland
    2.3.11 France
    2.3.12 Germany
    2.3.13 Greece
    2.3.14 Iceland
    2.3.15 Ireland
    2.3.16 Hungary
    2.3.17 Italy
    2.3.18 Lithuania
    2.3.19 Malta
    2.3.20 Moldova
    2.3.21 Montenegro
    2.3.22 Netherlands
    2.3.23 Poland
    2.3.24 Portugal
    2.3.25 Romania
    2.3.26 Nordic countries
    2.3.27 Serbia
    2.3.28 Slovakia
    2.3.29 Spain
    2.3.30 Sweden
    2.3.31 United Kingdom
    2.4.1 Australia
    2.4.2 New Zealand

Most civilised societies have some form of public service broadcasting. Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_broadcasting
    Countries with public service broadcasting have less right-wing extremism and more press freedom Source: https://www.coe.int/en/web/commissioner/-/public-service-broadcasting-under-threat-in-europe?desktop=true

Keep a close eye on those who want to attack public service broadcasting.

Yeah, I don't use primary schools, so why should I pay for a service that I do not use? I don't use maternity hospitals, so why should I pay etc etc.

That's not really how public services work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Yeah, I don't use primary schools, so why should I pay for a service that I do not use? I don't use maternity hospitals, so why should I pay etc etc.

That's not really how public services work.[/QUOTE]

Yes but society needs all these services and everyone is willing to pay.
    Nobody but nobody needs RTÉ and I mean nobody

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Comparing RTE to important public services is a bit disingenuous.

Edit: I've no problem with public broadcasting, I've a problem with RTE.

Liamario wrote: »

But lots of people think that public sector broadcasting is an important public service.
    Certainly not the most crucial public service we have, but certainly one that is universally available and widely used.

BENDYBINN wrote: »

That's not really how public services work.

Nobody but nobody needs RTÉ and I mean nobody[/QUOTE]
    Liamario wrote: »

I disagree. Look at the issues that Prime Time Investigates have thrown up in recent years - abuse in nursing homes, abuse of family members by HSE staff, Councillors on the take, ETB board on the take and more.

There is a value here that individuals may never choose to pay for.

There is also value in arts and culture - dramas like Taken Down, Love/Hate even back to Strumpet City

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Never mind Lottie Ryan, I could never work out how Gerry Ryan got to work at RTÉ.

Until I read this:

The one that got away was Charlie Haughey. "I think he has some things to say to the Irish people and I think he might say them to me," says Ryan, before explaining how he grew up with the young Haugheys and how Charlie was unlike all the others dads because he would talk to the young fellas about stuff, "like women and drinking and art". Ryan has found the demonisation of Haughey very painful personally. "It's like finding out that Bob Dylan has no dick".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Nobody but nobody needs RTÉ and I mean nobody

I disagree. Look at the issues that Prime Time Investigates have thrown up in recent years - abuse in nursing homes, abuse of family members by HSE staff, Councillors on the take, ETB board on the take and more.

There is a value here that individuals may never choose to pay for.

There is also value in arts and culture - dramas like Taken Down, Love/Hate even back to Strumpet City

Love/Hate was utter garbage and Taken Down hasn't grabbed me thus far.

I've been watching Blood on TV3 (as was) and that's far superior in my opinion. Probably cost a tenth of L/H.

And don't even get me started on Finding Joy - attention seeking crap from Huberman, all the talent of Gordon the Gopher without Schofield's hand.

Never mind Lottie Ryan, I could never work out how Gerry Ryan got to work at RTÉ.

Until I read this:

The one that got away was Charlie Haughey. "I think he has some things to say to the Irish people and I think he might say them to me," says Ryan, before explaining how he grew up with the young Haugheys and how Charlie was unlike all the others dads because he would talk to the young fellas about stuff, "like women and drinking and art". Ryan has found the demonisation of Haughey very painful personally. "It's like finding out that Bob Dylan has no dick".

Ahhhhh the mists clear and we are informed!!!!

Still beats me how his bloody kids get to sup at the licence fee teat tho - not one have a scintilla of talent.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Anyone have a screen grab of this tweet?

Is it not this one?
    https://twitter.com/JenniferMaguire/status/1058510841430138880

• Advertisement

Tabnabs wrote: »

Yeah Bridget dear, that did not happen.

Lying mare.

Advertisement