Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Doorbell

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

masterK wrote: »
    What's the live stream like? Is it stable?

Yeah its stable alright. You can zoom in also which is nice.

ozmo wrote: »
    wow! - does that mean a potential 30 second lag between when they ring and you hear it on the iphone?

You hear it on the phone straight away but before the video connects its very slow.

I have virgin BB with 24Mbit upload and access point like 10 feet from it line of sight as its a bay window. It still says wifi is poor at times.

Its only handy to see that someone called. Its like 20 secs lag to see that someone is there for me. I am using the android app on 4G or wifi at work. The OS X desktop app has the same issue so its simply there server is pants.

I see others have less of a lag. My house is quite new and probably has some foil wrap. It does cause issues with some phone networks like 3 so it could be down to me but defo check with your phone outside with the front door closed and all other doors closed to give the worst scenario for wifi.

Here is that issue. It looks like they have fixed it. crazy it ever existed https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004734423-My-Ring-Device-is-Having-Trouble-With-My-Wi-Fi-Signal-EU-UK-or-AUS-NZ

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

My access point will be 1ft away from my doorbell.

If it complains about bad wifi there it's going back!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

I had this before upgrading to the pro one. As mentioned this one is poor enough, how I would summarise is it was their first product and they they were under pressure to bring a product to market and probably rushed it, they learnt loads from feedback and applied their learnings, so this is almost a beta product.

I would like to say, those of you who have bought and didn’t read the advice will probably be disappointed as expectations would have been high, however don’t let it put you off this brand, the pro is really a great product.

Just curious, would An Post leave a parcel at my front door if I spoke to them over the video, or do they always have to deliver to a person?

Similarly with my actual doorbell delivery, I won't be here when it's delivered ironically, so can I leave a note on my door asking them to leave it on the doorstep?

Safe cul de sac so boxes on porch won't be visible.

mrcheez wrote: »
    Just curious, would An Post leave a parcel at my front door if I spoke to them over the video, or do they always have to deliver to a person?

Similarly with my actual doorbell delivery, I won't be here when it's delivered ironically, so can I leave a note on my door asking them to leave it on the doorstep?

Safe cul de sac so boxes on porch won't be visible.

Nah you will have to sign for it.

• Advertisement

rom wrote: »

Hmm haven't had to sign for the other 9 Amazon deliveries I've had the past two weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭11214

rom wrote: »

I never have to sign for mine, the postie just leaves them in a safe spot.

Arrived earlier than scheduled so received it today.

Packaging on my Like New one seems a little damaged. Hopefully everything is working, but I reckon I'll get onto them regarding the like new description.

Holy crap, this thing is huge!

I thought from the pics that it was just slightly larger than your average doorbell.

Bit scuffed too... time to get onto Amazon about a partial refund...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Holy crap, this thing is huge!

I thought from the pics that it was just slightly larger than your average doorbell.

Bit scuffed too... time to get onto Amazon about a partial refund...

Sounds like you have had buyers remorse from the day you ordered and you are going to try and pull a fast one on amazon and have them partially refund you (all your posts to date have the tone of I’m going to find something wrong and get a partial refund)?

Please don’t abuse their goodwill or genuine people with genuine product issues will lose out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Oh behave yourself! His money his purchase, if he deems 1 or all his purchases unacceptable in terms of the amazon description then he is entitled to complain. I recently bought 2 items as new and bother clearly werent in an as new state.

Sounds like you have had buyers remorse from the day you ordered and you are going to try and pull a fast one on amazon and have them partially refund you (all your posts to date have the tone of I’m going to find something wrong and get a partial refund)?

Please don’t abuse their goodwill or genuine people with genuine product issues will lose out.

Description was "Like New" and I purposely avoided buying one of the cheaper ones that said they were scuffed, so it's not sold as described.

Amazon Support.

A great bunch of lads. £19 back by asking nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭one4one

Picked one up from Argos last week 1st gen Ring. Did anyone get one from Argos and notice something strange on the box?

Under specifications, mine says its a 1080p camera!!

Of course, it's not its 720p. Bit weird.

one4one wrote: »
    Picked one up from Argos last week 1st gen Ring. Did anyone get one from Argos and notice something strange on the box?

Under specifications, mine says its a 1080p camera!!

Of course, it's not its 720p. Bit weird.

Mine says 720p. Weird.

Mine says 720p. Weird.

I asked to see the ring doorbell first before I bought it. When I saw it was 1080p I taught it wasn't a bad buy for that spec.

But I course when I download any vids there all 720. Contacted ring because I was completely confused. They told me some third party retailers change the packaging which I taught was weird too as I explained to them this is printed on the box.

They offered me a free month of cloud storage.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I asked to see the ring doorbell first before I bought it. When I saw it was 1080p I taught it wasn't a bad buy for that spec.

But I course when I download any vids there all 720. Contacted ring because I was completely confused. They told me some third party retailers change the packaging which I taught was weird too as I explained to them this is printed on the box.

They offered me a free month of cloud storage.

That is like €3, not very generous!

You know that this is a clear case of false advertising and you would be entitled to a full refund, if you want.

bk wrote: »
    That is like €3, not very generous!

You know that this is a clear case of false advertising and you would be entitled to a full refund, if you want.

I feel a bit cheated as I was sold the 1080p camera. I'm not happy with Ring who tried to push the blame on the retailer. Maybe I should put a bit more pressure on them.

I know Argos will probably give me a credit note but I still need to fork out more for the ring 2 or Pro to get a 1080p camera which I taught I had paid for in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭bromley52

I feel a bit cheated as I was sold the 1080p camera. I'm not happy with Ring who tried to push the blame on the retailer. Maybe I should put a bit more pressure on them.

I know Argos will probably give me a credit note but I still need to fork out more for the ring 2 or Pro to get a 1080p camera which I taught I had paid for in the first place.

Put it back in the box and return it to Argos. They will give money back no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Apparently the 1080p makes very little difference according to reviews I read plus the ring 1 actually has a wider field of view compared to the ring 2.

• Advertisement

This is a rather snazzy device I gotta say. Love the huge FOV.

Battery life is pretty atrocious though. I'd say I'll be lucky to get a week out of it.

Perhaps I should stop playing with Live View so much.

sale and supply of goods act 1989. Goods are not of merchantable quality aka not as described. You are entitled to a full refund and not a cover note. Just quote the act to the manager if they try any BS.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

This is a rather snazzy device I gotta say. Love the huge FOV.

Battery life is pretty atrocious though. I'd say I'll be lucky to get a week out of it.

Perhaps I should stop playing with Live View so much.

Ive mine working since August and Ive only fully charged it once since then, Ive motion and rings recorded along with Live view. It was 80% charged when i got it and it went down fairly quick but once the novelty wared off, I charged it to 100% and its curently at 45% Im very happy with mine.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Ive mine working since August and Ive only fully charged it once since then, Ive motion and rings recorded along with Live view. It was 80% charged when i got it and it went down fairly quick but once the novelty wared off, I charged it to 100% and its curently at 45% Im very happy with mine.

You mean when you stopped playing with it, it lasted longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

rom wrote:

Not here - postman signs it and puts the package in the shed......or outside if the weather is dry. The joys of living in the middle of nowhere :)

Hmm battery life at midnight was 63% now 60% 9 hours later... That the normal rate of dissipation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

FanadMan wrote: »
    Not here - postman signs it and puts the package in the shed......or outside if the weather is dry. The joys of living in the middle of nowhere :)

where do you live ;)?

Any idea how to get the free trial month?

BTW should we move this thread to Home Automation (or is there an existing Ring thread)?

I got chatting to support and received one month free trial, nice!

What's interesting, though, is that I can see all the videos recorded of me setting up the device before I had the trial.

So it seems that videos are recorded even if you don't have an account, so in theory you could use the system fine without a subscription, but then if you really needed to see an old video, just subscribe for $3 for the month you need it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement