Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Doorbell

Options
  • 26-11-2017 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭

First generation Ring doorbell down to £100 argos uk. Same price in Currys UK but I don't think they're as Parcelmotel friendly.

Amazingly it works out the same at €120 in Argos Ireland - thanks Bazual. I tried cancelling my UK order but it was too late. I have a spare Jervis St reservation if anyone wants it - 3 left

Apparently you need a pretty strong WiFi signal at your front door for it to work properly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

digitaldr wrote: »
    First generation Ring doorbell down to £100 argos uk. Same price in Currys UK but I don't think they're as Parcelmotel friendly.

AFAIK they ship from the nearest store - I ordered one last night from Argos so should be delivered to NI Parcelmotel today.

€120 on the Irish Argos site. Reserved one in local Argos so looks to be stock around. Thanks OP

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5584868.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

AFAIK they ship from the nearest store - I ordered one last night from Argos so should be delivered to NI Parcelmotel today.

Is there a subscription with the app?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

mad m wrote: »
    Is there a subscription with the app?

Its free but if you want to store the videos etc you can pay a subscription. 30 dollars a year.
    Its all in the below link.

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001671383-Frequently-Asked-Questions-About-Ring-Protect-Plan-Subscription-Plans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Something else to bear in mind:

The Ring Doorbell isn’t like a normal doorbell–it doesn’t need to be wired to your existing system (though it can be). Instead, it’s a battery-powered device that can operate independently and wirelessly, and you can even get a handful of Wi-Fi-connected chimes (sold separately) to plug in all around your house. If you aren’t wiring it into your existing system, you’ll want to get the doorbell and the $30 Chime to ensure you hear the doorbell when it’s rung.

Historic low alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Historic low alright

Try Amazon warehouse. I got one for 70 Euro last night. They still doing 20 per cent off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Reserved one for a present. Cheers OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,648 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

givecredit wrote: »
    Try Amazon warehouse. I got one for 70 Euro last night. They still doing 20 per cent off

Another gadget I never thought I'd need, but well...sod it :)

How do you secure it to your front door?

It works with Echo right?

mrcheez wrote: »
    Another gadget I never thought I'd need, but well...sod it :)

How do you secure it to your front door?

It works with Echo right?

Same as that.

You can use screws to secure or the supplied sticky back. It can be wired to your existing electric doorbell wires.

Yes Echo works.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Before you buy this put the phone on the wall exactly where you are going to be putting the doorbell. Turn off your phone data connection and then see if wifi works. Do a speed test.

Honestly I have an access point setup like 4 meters from it and its still not great coverage. It looks good in the videos but its not a great piece of kit. I have the latest one and there is a know issue with it and wifi that you need to put it on channel 6 I sh*t u not to workaround it. Channel 6 is probably the worst if you have any BT devices working also.

Would I buy it again. Maybe. Its never fast enough so I can answer the door. The servers take 30 secs to connect when it rings. Get the PoE one if you have an option. The wifi ones are just good so you can see who called. 3$ a month for the sub is a must or otherwise its a pointless device.

• Advertisement

Cheapest on Amazon warehouse now works out at €100 for the brass version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

rom wrote: »
    Before you buy this put the phone on the wall exactly where you are going to be putting the doorbell. Turn off your phone data connection and then see if wifi works. Do a speed test.

Honestly I have an access point setup like 4 meters from it and its still not great coverage. It looks good in the videos but its not a great piece of kit. I have the latest one and there is a know issue with it and wifi that you need to put it on channel 6 I sh*t u not to workaround it. Channel 6 is probably the worst if you have any BT devices working also.

Would I buy it again. Maybe. Its never fast enough so I can answer the door. The servers take 30 secs to connect when it rings. Get the PoE one if you have an option. The wifi ones are just good so you can see who called. 3$ a month for the sub is a must or otherwise its a pointless device.

What's the live stream like? Is it stable?

Same as that.

You can use screws to secure or the supplied sticky back. It can be wired to your existing electric doorbell wires.

Yes Echo works.

How does it work with Echo?

Can you talk through your Echo Dot?

I dont walk around the house with my phone, but I can use Echo throughout. Handy if you are getting changed after a shower or otherwise occupied :)

Cheapest on Amazon warehouse now works out at €100 for the brass version.

I went for a Like New one for €106, just to be sure the battery is brand new.

Nice deal thanks for the tips all.

With this and the Hue lights, I've now upped the IQ on my house ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭DopeTech

These look nice but without the monthly subscription they are kind of useless. Is there a way to save video locally instead to a NAS or to Google drive or something instead?

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    These look nice but without the monthly subscription they are kind of useless.

I don't think you need the monthly subscription in order to stream video or get notification when someone approaches your door?

The main thing I will use this for is to be notified when someone is passing by the door, or delivering parcels etc and I'm not there.

Far as I know, the subscription is only for recording?

This confirms it: https://www.reddit.com/r/ringdoorbell/comments/5krjdf/ring_doorbell_without_subscription/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭yannakis

How long does the battery last? Is it replaceable or rechargeable?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭dodzy

yannakis wrote: »
    How long does the battery last? Is it replaceable or rechargeable?
    6-12mths. It's rechargeable.

Apart from battery running out, do you lose any functionality by relying on battery alone?

Heard something was disabled but then reenabled in later firmware.

I'm thinking of leaving my existing doorbell alone and then use motion detector on this one as the trigger

• Registered Users Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭SteM

dodzy wrote: »
    6-12mths. It's rechargeable.

The battery on ours lasts nowhere close to 12 months - 3 or 4 months at the tops. Totally depends on how senesitive the motion dection is set to, how often the bell is used etc.
    mrcheez wrote: »
    Apart from battery running out, do you lose any functionality by relying on battery alone?

Heard something was disabled but then reenabled in later firmware.

I'm thinking of leaving my existing doorbell alone and then use motion detector on this one as the trigger

Not aware of any limitations when you use the battery, I've never noticed anything anyway.

The motion detection is pretty poor to be honest. There is a real delay between it detecting motion and notification/recording on our one. We've had many instances of someone being at the door and halfway back down the drive before recording kicks in, just getting the backs of their head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ozmo

rom wrote: »
    ...Its never fast enough so I can answer the door. The servers take 30 secs to connect when it rings....

wow! - does that mean a potential 30 second lag between when they ring and you hear it on the iphone?

“Roll it back”

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

ozmo wrote: »
    wow! - does that mean a potential 30 second lag between when they ring and you hear it on the iphone?

That's not the experience for me. It has had its problems, but overall they are a good piece of kit.

Plenty of info in the home automation forum if you want to read a wider experience. Just make sure of the difference between Pro VS wireless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Shocking reviews on Amazon was looking at it myself on Argos this morning.

Etnies wrote: »
    Shocking reviews on Amazon was looking at it myself on Argos this morning.

I'll already start the chat with support... this wasn't as expected etc... can't post back...full refund ...yadda yadda :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I have the new version of this... Ring Video Doorbell 2.

I have it in place for a few months at this stage and it is very good. You will need a good wifi signal. If not, there is a wifi extender 'chime pro' that will make it easier. It also has the chime built in, which is handy.

Definitely not a 30 second lag to answer. Video quality is good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭bromley52

Nest have a doorbell coming out in January. I'm going to wait and check it out before purchasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ozmo

Or free for those with even an older Raspberry Pi doing nothing...

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Smart-Home-Doorbell-for-Less-Than-40/

possibly no subs to pay this way either :)

FW3G922IYV9JIUT.MEDIUM.jpg

“Roll it back”

Installed my ring this morning :eek: Actually very pleased with it - I'd done my research and it works as expected. Wifi is a bit weak outside my front door so I have a powerline wifi extender in the sitting room with a dedicated network just for the ring as it would be slower than my main network in the house. I don't think I'll bother with the motion detection as will be moving house soon and plan to install a proper CCTV system. Also picked up a chime - set to jingle bells at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CFC007

Did it arrive with everything? First I noticed it was a little bit damaged which was okay they refunded 10%. Was just going to install and the battery is missing. Back it goes

• Advertisement

CFC007 wrote: »
    Did it arrive with everything? First I noticed it was a little bit damaged which was okay they refunded 10%. Was just going to install and the battery is missing. Back it goes
    Luckily mine arrived yesterday in as new condition. Everything still in it's packaging.

Advertisement