Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The emergence of MTK / formerly MGM.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,619 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I take the point about his chin. Bernard’s limitations were well known and exposed. And the point about the paucity of the opposition is irrefutable too, as was pointed out many times during his career. Still, I’m not convinced he could have beaten Córdoba without the back up team he had, that took real shape after he got done by Martinez. I’m confident he’d acknowledge that much himself.

Well, he was pretty much gone in the Cordoba fight. Said it himself, and alluded to Cordoba gassing being the big difference...

Cordoba was nothing special anyway.

Plenty of other referees may have stopped that fight earlier on in Cordoba's favor.

Bernard showed a lot of character and all that, but he is a trained pro boxer. That is what they are supposed to show.

Back to coaches and teams....yes, very important overall. Not just head coach. But strength and conditioning coaches can really tweak things here and there. In the Cordoba fight the strength and conditioning coach looks to have played his part.

Sports people (and more so elite) today and recently are machines, hot property and treated like machines...nothing left to chance.

Money and science and technology playing the vital role....

Not just physical sports.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

walshb wrote: »
    Well, he was pretty much gone in the Cordoba fight. Said it himself, and alluded to Cordoba gassing being the big difference...

Cordoba was nothing special anyway.

Plenty of other referees may have stopped that fight earlier on in Cordoba's favor.

Bernard showed a lot of character and all that, but he is a trained pro boxer. That is what they are supposed to show.

Back to coaches and teams....yes, very important overall. Not just head coach. But strength and conditioning coaches can really tweak things here and there. In the Cordoba fight the strength and conditioning coach looks to have played his part.

Sports people (and more so elite) today and recently are machines, hot property and treated like machines...nothing left to chance.

Money and science and technology playing the vital role....

Not just physical sports.....

One last thing on Dunne, he had mike mcgurn, a Gaa/rugby guy as his S&C coach. McGurn wouldn’t be everybody’s cup of tea but Dunne swore by him and all I’m saying is this was just one critical part of a larger jigsaw.

I don’t believe boxing is fundamentally different from any other sport in that raw talent will only get you so far. In all sports the top athletes pay big money for coaches and all sorts of technology gizmos and even pseudo science in some cases. It all goes back to the inches as that famous Al Pacino character was wont to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

walshb wrote: »
    A lot of trainers-coaches are as much mentally important/inspiring as physically important. Just knowing the coach-trainer is with you and part of you can give you that extra edge. Look at Rooney and Tyson for that.

There is that connection, rapport, admiration, confidence, respect and mutual understanding....

That's what coaching is supposed to be. Where once their was a fear of anything scientific, in some ways it seems to have swung completely in the other direction now with people reducing the coaching role to drills and spreadsheets. Human beings aren't computers. You can't just programme them to perform a different task.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Just branched into ufc and signed Darren Till, Liverpool lad, was stabbed in Liverpool and moved to Brazil went 10-0 down their, interesting move

• Registered Users Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

https://twibbon.com/support/mtk-fairnews-2/twitter

MTK have started a campaign to boycott Irish media!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

If they had any sense they would have bought the rights to manage all those fighters from MTK and shut the company. How they could expect to carry on that name and just shrugh their shoulders saying "he's gone folks!" is laughable. I cant imagine the name brings much with it, the fighters are the commodity.

Also worth nothing that the event wasnt cancelled due to stories about MTK,it was cancelled ultimately due to Gardai having information / a belief that a hit was planned at the venue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

The CEO is Sandra Vaughan, wife of Danny Vaughan who himself is a convicted fraudster and who has been part of MGM Marbella from the beginning. Daniel Kinahan is still manager of a lot of their better boxers I believe. I don't believe they have made a clean break from the Kinahan cartel and I find it hard to support Irish boxing because of them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

In their statement today, MTK Global CEO Sandra Vaughan says: "Despite announcing MTK Global cutting all ties with Daniel Kinahan in February 2017, and announcing a full management buy-in by myself in October 2017, the Irish media have continued to vilify MTK Global in all and any mention of Irish boxing and MTK Global signed boxers."

The statement goes on to say that a "witch hunt" by Irish media has left them with no choice but for "MTK Global to pull out of the Republic of Ireland for the immediate future. We will not host fight nights in Dublin nor will any MTK Global athletes fight on a Dublin card. "

Did this witch hunt or vilification actually happen?

I know Paddy Barnes got some stick when he signed with them but that was a full year before Daniel Kinahan "cut ties" with MGM.

I hadn't noticed the media being too hard, or hard at all, on MGM/MTK fighters tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

I don’t support MTK fighters

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Embarrassingly clueless statement. Claim that they're the only people in the world supporting Irish boxers and then in the same breath say that they're willing to sacrifice those boxers because the papers are reporting stuff they'd rather they didn't.

MTK admit that they're throwing their boxers future under the bus and all because the Sunday World slag them off. - "Their earning capabilities are very much dependent on the number of fights they have and the number of tickets they sell for those fights. If they are not fighting on home turf then they will be unable to sell the same volume of tickets, thus drastically impacting their earning potential. This will no doubt mean driving them from the sport as many athletes will be forced to seek alternative employment to earn a living and to feed their families."

Wonder how much of this is a smokescreen to the fact that they can't put a show on in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Yeah nothing new at all there, well behind the tabloids in this. Macklin was never a world champion either Ewan. Still good to see MTK highlighted though.

Advertisement