Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Don't Hug Your Children Season! (PC gone mad thread)

Options
  • 23-11-2017 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

http://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/girl-scouts-force-kids-hug-relatives-holiday-season/story?id=51275036
    Girl Scouts of the USA issued a warning to parents this holiday season, asking them to think twice before forcing their daughters to hug relatives at gatherings.

“Think of it this way, telling your child that she owes someone a hug either just because she hasn’t seen this person in a while or because they gave her a gift can set the stage for her questioning whether she ‘owes’ another person any type of physical affection when they have bought her dinner or done something else seemingly nice for her later in life,” reads the post on the Girl Scouts’ website.
    The Girl Scouts' post encourages parents to offer their daughters ways to show gratitude that do not require physical contact, including "a smile, a high-five, or even an air kiss."

Words fail me. The fever pitch of hysteria has surely peaked when children are telling parents not to hug them lest it be interpreted as the wrong kind of hug.

Every child should have an awkward hug - it's preparation for life! :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

we have very different lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Lots of people are uncomfortable with hugs. Forcing your kids to hug someone they don't want to is surely a bit of a strange practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The Girl Scouts' post encourages parents to offer their daughters ways to show gratitude that do not require physical contact, including "a smile, a high-five, or even an air kiss."

The future is getting closer! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭TheDavester

http://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/girl-scouts-force-kids-hug-relatives-holiday-season/story?id=51275036

Words fail me. The fever pitch of hysteria has surely peaked when children are telling parents not to hug them lest it be interpreted as the wrong kind of hug.

Is Una Mullally/LON the head of the the Girl Scouts?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

fatknacker wrote: »
    Lots of people are uncomfortable with hugs. Forcing your kids to hug someone they don't want to is surely a bit of a strange practice?

Think of those dreaded words 'Give your Grandma a hug'.

- Child's thoughts: 'Ah ffs'

- Grandma's thoughts: 'Ah ffs'.

No one's winning here. I think we should ban all hugs. No good ever came of it, I tell you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Is Una Mullally/LON the head of the the Girl Scouts?

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

I was born in the 80’s. It wasn’t until the late 90’s early 00’s that this hugging nonsense started. I don’t hug my parents, aunts etc... never have never will. My friends and wife’s family think I should hug them every time I see them. Load of bollox that needs to be stamped out.

I know it seems a bit too far, but I remember as a child that my gran would tell me to give a particular distant relative a hug and a kiss goodbye, and I hated doing it. There was something about this person that made me very uncomfortable and I didn't like them one bit. Being forced to let them put their hands and lips on me made me feel very powerless, because I couldn't explain how I felt, or why I felt it.

If I have kids, I won't be instructing them to kiss or hug anyone but they can go right ahead of their own volition if they want to.

I think it's okay to mention that kids shouldn't be forced to have physical contact with someone, and that there are alternatives.

Why's there nothing about sons in this.....Cue shrieking of them saying "think of the patriarchy"

Because it's the Girl Guides, not the Boy Scouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I'm definitely not agreeing with the extracts you posted, but what you have then written in response does not seem to be related at all. (I haven't read full article, so possibly there is more in there)

The article doesn't say that the hug would be misinterpreted, or that parents shouldn't hug their kids. It seems like the focus is entirely on not forcing kids to hug people.

The implication is that hugs, are the 'gateway physical interaction' to abuse; which does seem a bit mad. Surely that could be applied to any contact or gesture of gratitude?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Hope this applies to hugging drunk people over Xmas too

Nothing more annoying than people pulling and tearing out of you on nights out because they haven't seen ya in years

• Registered Users Posts: 16 BaaRamEwe

There's nothing in this about the 'wrong kind of hug'. The hugs are normal hugs but the message is don't force your kids into giving these if they don't want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Candie wrote: »
    Because it's the Girl Guides, not the Boy Scouts.

I doubt the Boy Scouts would be allowed to issue such a high handed preachy message, and if they did they'd get mocked such are the double standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

I doubt the Boy Scouts would be allowed to issue such a high handed preachy message, and if they did they'd get mocked such are the double standards.

As opposed to the girls scouts who are certainly not being mocked at all! :rolleyes:

How is that children telling parents not to hug them. Surely, from what you've quoted in your post, that's children telling parents not to force them to hug more distant relatives.

I don't really see a problem with that. I've been at gatherings where children have been passed around to everyone there to give them a kiss goodbye before leaving. I find it weird tbh. I would have hated that as a child.

What's so wrong with a child (male or female) deciding themselves how they want to say hello or goodbye or thanks or anything else. Even a toddler can make that choice. When my partner's little nephew sees me sometimes he gives me a hug, sometimes a shy wave, sometimes he screams my name in delight. No one has to force him to do anything, he chooses his own greeting based on his own mood, just like the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

These two things are not the same.

Forcing your child into physical contact with an adult they plainly don't want to touch is awful, but there's a big gap between not forcing your kids to hug distant relatives and deliberately withholding physical affection as a parent in case it might make a child uncomfortable. Conflating the two isn't helpful at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Ah, the good old days, when a whiskery old aunt half cut on sherry would slip the wee grand-nephew the tongue*... innocent times.

* true story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Malayalam wrote: »
    Ah, the good old days, when a whiskery old aunt half cut on sherry would slip the wee grand-nephew the tongue*... innocent times.

* true story

Whatever gets us in the will man!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

encourages parents to offer their daughters ways to show gratitude that do not require physical contact e.g. a high five

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I never encouraged my kids to hug someone if they didn't want to.
    I realise some elderly people and even younger love hugging kids but teaching kids that they're allowed personal space and control over who enters it is am important lesson imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Not forcing your child to hug people they don't want to is PC gone mad?

Further proof that people have no idea what "PC gone mad" means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

valoren wrote: »
    encourages parents to offer their daughters ways to show gratitude that do not require physical contact e.g. a high five

:rolleyes:

How about the Self High Five as pioneered by Diamond Dallas Page?

:D

ddp_display_image.jpg?1291790346

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Do you not remember Bill's granny when they went to hell in Bill and Ted OP? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

This isn't PC gone mad, they aren't saying you can't hug your child are they? it's about not forcing kids to give physical affection against their will. This has been the advice of the nspcc for example for a long time..
    No means no and you always have the right to say 'no' – even to a family member or someone you love. You're in control of your body and the most important thing is how YOU feel.

Why do you have a problem with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

What I remember is older females saying they were going to take me home with them and then laughing. Seemed to make everyone laugh but I'd not have a clue what they were on about. "You wouldn't mind coming to live with me, would ya?" Then I'd be close to tears so would be told "Don't mind her, she's only messing with you". Weirdos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

Hope this applies to hugging drunk people over Xmas too

Nothing more annoying than people pulling and tearing out of you on nights out because they haven't seen ya in years

AH JAYSIS TOM!

*HUGS AND SLAPS THE SHIT OUT OF YER BACK

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Did you even read the article you posted?

I think there'd be far less outrage in the world if people worked on their reading comprehension.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

#meeeeeetoo

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

What's with this Holiday Season nonsense?

It's called Christmas. You got a problem with Pagans and Christians then don't celebrate it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Prune Tracy

Some of the language is a bit weird - this talk of owing physical favours feels like hugging is being equated with sexual intimacy.

But aside from that, I see the point. Children often really hate having to kiss/hug adults yet the adults think it's a lovely, cute, adorable bit of entertainment. But some children like being physically affectionate so I'd hope there wouldn't be a message to them that it's not ok.

Advertisement