Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guess what Mad_Lad got this time?

Comments

They're not that thin. :D

t7t21eO.jpg?1

unkel wrote: »
    Narrow tyres are for economy at the expense of grip (and indeed handling)

Ioniq suffers quite badly from lack of grip because of this and there is loss of power / wheel spin as the traction control is trying to fight this (only in sport mode when you drive it real hard off the line - which is what I do most of the time)

I'm considering getting wider tyres when it comes to replacing them, but I haven't done any research on what my options are and what others have done.

To be honest the Leaf suffered the same but RWD makes a big difference which I'm sure you're aware. Unless you had tyres twice the width I don't think it would matter a lot on FWD.

I3 limits power on take off like the leaf which always helps of course but there's still a lot more grip with the RWD despite the skinny tyres. And sure it will slide a bit if you give it too much throttle on some wet roads on certain bends or roundabouts but that's kind of fun isn't it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

There used to be a lot more available from standstill in the i3. Such a pity they limited it later on with updates. Still quite fun though

Pity the ECU or motor controller cant be hacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

My kids toy has bigger wheels :p:p

tractoras-electric-copii-JD-Gator-HPX-Peg-Perego_main_499c30a3-365b-4cfb-8cb1-14d2ac1d1159_grande.jpg?v=1504003676

The Leaf used to bug me at roundabouts and at junctions where you really needed to put the foot down to get out.

The i3 has much more grip but it can miss behave too given the right conditions of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,217 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Is that a tyre from a bike?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,717 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Jesus that looks very thin alright. I could swear the tyres on Ioniq are not as thin as that, but I have no idea what size they are. I might look at it tomorrow if I remember :p

t7t21eO.jpg?1

Looks like a 2CV tyre or a Renault 4

• Advertisement

2CV tyre

xm%20s89_1.jpg

similar enough :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

I used to have something similar when i was a kid racing down the hill behind my house.

wheels1c.jpg

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Thats shockingly like a 1900's veteran car. A horseless carriage.

Haha,

I don't know why people would be turned off the wheels being so thin, it really has tonnes of grip, way more than a Leaf and probably most other FWD electrics. RWD helps too of course. Leaf only has 109 HP also so the wider tyres don't make much of a difference if any except increase resistance.

I checked battery temp when I plugged in last night, the car hadn't been driven much the last few days, 5 deg C and 10 this morning so this proves again to me that it only heats to 10 deg C.

By the time I got to work it was 19 Deg C after a good blast up the M9 at 140 km/h. Then 120/130 most of the M7 Naas bypass until the roadworks, traffic was really good this morning.

Pity I couldn't do a fast charge test at this battery temp. But it was pretty much optimal, as I said the trip to Galway showed max charge power so no reason to say it wouldn't charge at full power today if I tried.

Just a shame there's no way to warm it up if you are at say 30-50% and haven't driven it for a while and suddenly decide to go on a fast charge binge, though that would take up to 4 hrs anyway then it heats only to 10 Deg C so you'd have to drive it a while anyway.

I presume BMW engineers reckoned that heating it to 10 Deg C was enough because by the time someone needed a fast charge the battery will have warmed up sufficiently to allow maximum charging power or as close as possible.

I presume also they didn't want to have to risk the battery getting too hot which would require cooling.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Thats shockingly like a 1900's veteran car. A horseless carriage.
    Look at the resemblancelobby-car-01.jpg

• Advertisement

I'd love to electrify that !

10 meter 3 phase AC on the way, 11 Kw AC , sweet. Less worrying about waiting at fast chargers.

I'd love to electrify that !

Porsche had an electric 4WD car (a motor in each wheel) with a petrol REX

In 1898

This is not a typo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭zoom_cool

10 meter 3 phase AC on the way, 11 Kw AC , sweet. Less worrying about waiting at fast chargers.
    How much did it cost it is definitely a good thing to have the 3 phase cable

• Advertisement

One of our new buildings on Campus has a 22 Kw AC point so charging at 11 Kw will be handy when I'm hopping between buildings and don't have time to keep it hooked up all day to the 7 Kw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

At 10m's thats going to be a heavy cable.

I've a 5m version from them and its bulky and heavy because its a coiled one. So, 5m's isn't really 5m in reality. That 10m one will be heavy/awkward.

Yes I'm expecting it to be but it will be handy to get where I wan't need to park and if an on street AC point is ICEd it will allow me greater chance to get to charge.

I can keep using the supplied single phase cable and bring the 3 phase when I need to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Yep, I have a similar 8m one and it's cumbersome to say the least. It's coiled but once strecthed out it doesn't recoil back easily. 3 phase should be heavier also. Why didn't you go for a 3 phase coiling BMW one. By far the best cables I've had or used are the OEM BMW ones. Nissan, Renault and these after market ones feel cheap by comparison.

I was going to but never hard back from Frank Keane despite a few emails. I'm not bothered really as it's something I won't be using daily.

But I'll keep the single phase in the car most of the time and may even leave the 3 phase connected to the EVSE at home for handiness or visa versa.

I have the 5 metre BMW cable very good quality. The 3 phase cables are very heavy alright I paid £200 for mine with the car got it at cost.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

We've a 10m coiled cable now, it's extra weight but I find the coil stops it getting tangled up. We can charge both cars without rearranging them which really helps.

The coil means the cable is at waist height leaving the charging so in theory is more visible than the black one that came with our car.

Nice purchase Mad Lad!

I tested the off peak timer last night, set it from 5:30 am to 7 am. Came out car 100% charge.

The i3 is only interested in 1 thing and that's to charge to 100%, because my end timer was set to 7 am for pre heating the car thought I want 100% charge but no, I don't, I want to use as little of my own electricity as possible so after a very hard blast home I need maybe 1-2 hrs charge to be safe. Of course I can make it up and back comfortable on 1 charge driving normally but I drive much harder/faster than I drove the Leaf and if it costs me between 20 and 40 cent for the privilege I'll pay it, other than that I wouldn't need to charge at home and just use the work charger.

Just a picture of my BMW i3 just to add to the group here.

https://imgur.com/lrRn3vV
    lrRn3vV

Nice !

I like the wheels, nicer than mine, I might get those and keep the ones I have for winter tyres.

Looks good in Blue and black.

• Advertisement

zoom_cool wrote: »
    Just a picture of my BMW i3 just to add to the group here.

lrRn3vV.jpg

Make sure and take it for a good spin on some back roads, great fun , really fantastic car to drive !

Hey, it's a BMW. Fraude am Fahren and all that ;)

If only BMW came out with a 3-series EV for similar money as Tesla Model 3. It wouldn't be hard to convince me to buy one.

Isn't the 3 series EV due 2019 ? imagine the cost of that !!!

Another thing I like about the i3 is that I discovered the charge point I usually connect to in work was broken, again , tonight and the car tells me after a few seconds where the Leaf didn't give a hoot, the Leaf just says, yeah I'm connected you can head inside now where the i3 says yeah I'm connected but this piece of sh1t charge point won't give me any juice, very convenient. With the Leaf I never knew the car wasn't charging unless I physically checked the app. so yeah, this is a brilliant feature on the i3 !

Turns out another charge point is dead but luckily one of the other two was working so I'm plugged into that, gone are the days I had to then go to the dreaded charger in Naas on the way home when the only work charge point was dead.

By the way these chargers are from this company http://www.eccharging.ie/about-ec-charging/

I do not recommend them, they are plagued with issues !

Isn't the 3 series EV due 2019 ? imagine the cost of that !!!

Dunno. Should be similar to Model 3 I'd imagine.

Remember that a 330e auto costs the same as a 318d auto. And hopefully there will still be a €10k subsidy on a 3-series EV (there was only €7.5k on the 330e)

Should be an early 40s car before options

It will be very basic knowing BMW and decent spec will hit 50+ K, then again look at the i3 so could even be more expensive.

BMW specs haven't been basic since BMW bought out Frank Keane as distributor in the early 00s. Since then we have the same spec as UK cars and no more Paddy spec windy windows and steely wheelies :D

• Advertisement

Ah the i3 is pretty basic in basic trim no ?

Yeah the i3 is (from what I have heard), but don't forget it's an extremely expensive car to manufacture. I'd say BMW have never made any money on them?

unkel wrote: »
    I'd say BMW have never made any money on them?

No Idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

cros13 said they made money on them from day 1!

I suppose the selling price is pretty high too and the options have huge margins.

Still the cheapest carbon fiber car by a long shot :D

By the way these chargers are from this company http://www.eccharging.ie/about-ec-charging/

I do not recommend them, they are plagued with issues !
    They are linked to carcharger.ie

Who ran off with customers (incl large I/C customers) money with no install done.

Definitely one to AVOID for sure.

• Advertisement

lrRn3vV.jpg

Thanks Mad_Lad i wasn't convinced by the Blue and Black but it is growing on me.

I have taken it on back roads it is very good fun to drive alright the only negative I have with it is on a windy day on the motorway it moves around alot more that my Golf GTD.

I suppose this is down to it being light on the front. I love getting into drive it every time its a nicer drive than the Golf GTD so much more smoother.

I checked the Max Battery Capacity last night and it is showing 29.9Kw usable I am able to get up to work and back 170km without using the REX on battery alone doing 100Km motorway driving very happy and the temps. outside are low so should improve alot once we get some decent weather.

:D

No definitely the Blue looks great.

I just checked this morning and I have 29.7 Kwh or so it tells me, up from about 28.5 ish I think if I remember correctly when I got it.

The problem with the i3 is that it absolutely begs you to hammer the throttle, you can sense it angry with you if you drive it gently, it's just so bloody tempting to drive it hard. I find it quiet a bit more refined than the Leaf particularly at speed and much less road and wind noise though the 19 inch wheels can throw up some road noise on rough surfaces.

Yes the wind can blow it around a bit but in general it's quiet a bit more stable than the Leaf on the motorway particularly at speed and the handling is of course a lot better the steering has good feel and is direct.

Getting 170 Kms should be handy enough and when I turned eco pro on for the laugh after getting into the car today the GOM said 250 kms but this is probably taking into account there'd be no heat and limit of 90 Km/h. Perhaps in milder weather you could do it with no heat or AC and under 100 Km/h or less.

3 phase cable arrived, can't wait to try it out.

22 Kwh in 2 hrs or close enough !

That's the entire available Kwh in a 24 Kwh Leaf charged to 100% ! :D

Where would you use it?

Any 22 Kw AC point.

I use AC more than DC anyway because I'm not that keen on hanging around waiting at DC points and when I get somewhere with an AC point 11 Kw will give me a substantial charge after 2 hrs.

On a long motorway run I might just use the Rex and then AC in town. Or top up for 10 mins , Rex gives me much greater choice and freedom.

• Advertisement
Advertisement