Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nolan Movie Collection & Dark Knight Trilogy - UHD Blu-ray Thread

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Mine set is on its way from deep discount..hoping it arrives before xmas

Won't imports be done for VAT as over €22?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭micks_address

Possibly...don't care

• Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Early first impressions online say there are a lot of improvements in The Nolan Batman UHD set notably coming from the IMAX scenes. I would recommend you to watch the underground fight scene between Bale & Hardy in Rises as I heard that it looks exceptional in UHD enabled with HDR.

I heard some good things about the IMAX scenes from Dunkirk & Interstellar as well.

Early first impressions online say there are a lot of improvements in The Nolan Batman UHD set notably coming from the IMAX scenes. I would recommend you to watch the underground fight scene between Bale & Hardy in Rises as I heard that it looks exceptional in UHD enabled with HDR.

I heard some good things about the IMAX scenes from Dunkirk & Interstellar as well.

My fav scene in tdk is the joker interrogation scene. The lighting is just spectacular..of course the opening tracking shot is class to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Possibly...don't care

will be interested how much you get stung for

• Advertisement

viperlogic wrote: »
    will be interested how much you get stung for

Will keep you posted

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The screenshots look great and they got the colour correction in TDK right this time. I wish they had remastered the Blu-rays as well. :(

The screenshots look great and they got the colour correction in TDK right this time. I wish they had remastered the Blu-rays as well. :(

Just got my set today. Fast postage it was not. No customs as deepdiscount post to Holland first then re post to final destination.. Just stuck on tdk uhd and looks great. I must have watched the blu Ray a hundred times and the uhd is a definite step up..

This scene is just brilliant talking about the 4K. :D

yr4K7.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The Dark Knight is only 4.99 on iTunes at the moment for anyone who wants the new remastered version but doesn't have a 4k/UHD setup. It's SDR'd so the colour won't be quite right in 1080p (a bit yellowish), but it's closer to the intended look of the film than the Blu-ray ever was. Purchase includes the 4k HDR version but afaik it will only play on the latest Apple TV. Oh and it's 2.35:1 throughout, no changing aspect ratios.

Sadly it seems the Batman Begins UHD is from the same transfer used for the Blu-ray so while it's a big improvement it still looks rather poor compared to the sequels. And apparently it has some ghastly waxwork shots that would arrival the DVD randomly spread throughout the movie - seems to have been a mistake in the mastering. Film probably had a poor DCP to being with (from when Nolan was less concerned with digital tinkering) and Warners was too cheap to do a new transfer from the negatives.

• Advertisement

The Dark Knight is only 4.99 on iTunes at the moment for anyone who wants the new remastered version but doesn't have a 4k/UHD setup. It's SDR'd so the colour won't be quite right in 1080p (a bit yellowish), but it's closer to the intended look of the film than the Blu-ray ever was. Purchase includes the 4k HDR version but afaik it will only play on the latest Apple TV. Oh and it's 2.35:1 throughout, no changing aspect ratios.

Sadly it seems the Batman Begins UHD is from the same transfer used for the Blu-ray so while it's a big improvement it still looks rather poor compared to the sequels. And apparently it has some ghastly waxwork shots that would arrival the DVD randomly spread throughout the movie - seems to have been a mistake in the mastering. Film probably had a poor DCP to being with (from when Nolan was less concerned with digital tinkering) and Warners was too cheap to do a new transfer from the negatives.

I wouldn't bother with any version that didn't switch aspect ratio. Batman begins isn't anywhere as strong in image quality but it's better than the blu Ray..

At long last; Blu-ray.com has given a review of Batman Begins on UHD Blu-ray.

The author, Michael Reuben, has given the film a rating of 4.5 out of 5 which is really good.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Batman-Begins-4K-Blu-ray/187229/#Review

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Down to €46 on Zavvi for those that are interested.

https://m.zavvi.com/blu-ray/the-dark-knight-trilogy-4k-ultra-hd/11623331.html

At long last; Blu-ray.com has given a review of Batman Begins on UHD Blu-ray.

The author, Michael Reuben, has given the film a rating of 4.5 out of 5 which is really good.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Batman-Begins-4K-Blu-ray/187229/#Review

The source material just isn't great for batman begins... If. It's 4.5 out of 5 for picture quality then the dark Knight is 8 out of 5

Watched Dunkirk last week.. It's possibly the most amazing thing I've watched in uhd..

Advertisement