Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Migrants being sold at auction in Libya

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Humans selling other humans in africa? Better blame america.

Can africans be afforded one ****ing iota of autonomy and personal responsibility please?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,960 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

No, I am not. But I was when he got elected. And I would vote Democrat if I were in the States.

I am more disappointed in his legacy and what he managed to achieve as President. Also, i don't like the fact that he seems immune from legitimate criticism.

Particularly from the media.

Ok, style over substance.

Can we move on now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Can africans be afforded one ****ing iota of autonomy and personal responsibility please?
    Or the Brits. They probably just don't know what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Appalling stuff. Libya is a grand bloody mess. A perfect example of intervention failing badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,069 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Absolute mess up by the Obama administration.

Amazing how people think otherwise.

Obama is a saint though to so many

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

hhhmmmm slave trade going on in libya, our country over run with immigrants, we owe a fortune to the banks, i see a chance for a bit of wheelin and dealin here lads.....

relax, am kidding before ya go nuts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,788 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Amazing how people think otherwise.

Obama is a saint though to so many

First Black President.. Democrat.. not Trump or Bush

To me he always seemed more about spin and media soundbites than actual results. Bit like our own Leo in that way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭Joe Musashi

No, it is always the white man's fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I knew someone who got a Brazilian in Gort.

They said it was cheap but hurt like hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,226 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

What about poor Britney. Nobody give a shite about her. 'Tis feckin' terrible

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

The liberal left is not up in arms over this as the perpetrators aren't white men.

Carry on, it's OK when brown people are the sellers of slaves apparently ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Prune Tracy

We don't know if we're being told the truth yet or not.

Have we definitive proof there's slave's sold in Libya.

I remember working in Edinburgh year's ago and some guy got done for exploiting eastern Europeans.

He'd be making a percentage off their wages and they weren't registered etc

Look at recruitment companies, making a big profit from selling worker's on to companies.

The wage's are so ****e there's not enough for the workers to enjoy their time off.

If there wasn't recruitment agencies people would be earning a lot better money.

The marginal difference between an agency worker and actual worker in a factory could be 30%
    Not knowing whether we're getting the truth or not could be said about any news story - we can only go with what we have. Maybe it's not correct, but if it is: a job that a person elects to take, with poor money but non abusive and the workers' rights being met in terms of hours... is just simply not slavery, and it kinda distorts what slaves can actually be put through: being sold, endless toil, no time off, hardly any food, horrific abuse, squalid living conditions. There is just no comparison between that and someone temping via a recruitment company. It's irritating when people say "We're all slaves in some form, man" in light of what slavery actually involves.

The Edinburgh case wasn't quite slavery as they were getting a bit of money - slavery means zilch pay - but it was on the verge, as they were getting very little and they were being exploited.

And don't get me wrong - that situation in Gort was crap and exploitative, but not slavery. Slavery in the rich Middle Eastern countries, and in Britain (travellers) is just horrific beyond belief.

Advertisement