Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Migrants being sold at auction in Libya

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

Big deal,i can remember people lining up in the mornings here in good old Ireland.

Brazilian' s lining up in Gort for cheap labour,same thing really.

One man's slavery is another man's freedom

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/932383261203898368
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/libya-says-probe-slave-auction-footage-112949827.html
    [font=Georgia, "Times New Roman", serif] [/font]

Country is a mess since the US decided to remove Gaddafi.

Shocking stuff but let's not forget France's and the UK's role in the current situation in Libya ,it was more or less their campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 16,166 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Big deal,i can remember people lining up in the mornings here in good old Ireland.

what da fuk are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Absolute mess up by the Obama administration.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Imagine buying a human
    Sometimes I can't believe this world is real

• Advertisement

Grayson wrote: »
    what da fuk are you talking about?

Metaphorically, slavery is happening all around us it's just we're too effing blind to see it.

Have you lived in Gort during the boom or after.

You could pick out a worker for a day from a literal líne up, i think it's sickening to see these guys being used.

I'd break my own balls before I'd break anybody else's.

Now Grayson do you know what the fck I'm on about huh huh big man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

sure we're all debt slaves here. Half the country is mortgaged up to their bolleaux.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Absolute mess up by the Obama administration.

Now, now...The Angel Barack and his Administration are sacrosanct and must never be criticised.

Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

refugeE-bay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Metaphorically, slavery is happening all around us it's just we're too effing blind to see it.

You could pick out a worker for a day from a literal líne up, i think it's sickening to see these guys being used.

I'd break my own balls before I'd break anybody else's.

Now Grayson do you know what the fck I'm on about huh huh big man

Ya im sure you could buy a Brazilian for 400 quid in gort and get to keep him after he finshed paving your drive.

They arent being bought to do a few jobs around the house and maybe a cup of tea and a biscuit. They are being bought to be abused and worked to death. Not the edgy, you are a slave to your work and wage.

Dont know what you dont get about that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I suspect your definition of 'slave' is slightly broader than the rest of the world.

Ya im sure you could buy a Brazilian for 400 quid in gort and get to keep him after he finshed paving your drive.

They arent being bought to do a few jobs around the house and maybe a cup of tea and a biscuit. They are being bought to be abused and worked to death. Not the edgy, you are a slave to your work and wage.

Dont know what you dont get about that

I know what you mean,but couldn't you be sitting in a Bazzar in Iran reading about the slavery in Ireland and be none the wiser.

We just don't know the rubbish that's being fed to us from the media....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Thankfully I haven't, hard to tell apart from post Ghadaffi Libya was it?:rolleyes:

But still it's not right to be picking Brazilians from a line up for 40 euro's a day.

400 euro's for 10 days work

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

But still it's not right to be picking Brazilians from a line up

Sounds like tinder to me:D

Thankfully I haven't, hard to tell apart from post Ghadaffi Libya was it?:rolleyes:

Well you can blame obumba for that and western intervention.

Back to the debate,my bad...

Ok I probably went off topic,rant over ;)

Lol well actually I had a few date's with Brazilian s who I swiped on Tinder....

Here I am going off topic again,I'll get infractions and I don't need any more slap's on the wrist on board's...

Nice ladies......the Brazilians

• Registered Users Posts: 15,960 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Now, now...The Angel Barack and his Administration are sacrosanct and must never be criticised.

Ever.

I think you'll find Western meddling in the M.E. (and other places the West aren't wanted) pre-dates Obama and even Bushes Jnr and Snr....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

But still it's not right to be picking Brazilians from a line up for 40 euro's a day.

Ya. They might be dead after 10 days sure.

These lads in arent getting paid the 400. The smugglers and kidnappers are

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

And tell us ... what would then happen to Brazilians who didn't fancy doing that? They'd be free to go on their way, right? Or do we have an exclusive story emerging here.

Slavery does not offer any choice see - that's the critical difference.

Low pay below legal minimum is a labour law issue.

Slavery is a different thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

I know what you mean,but couldn't you be sitting in a Bazzar in Iran reading about the slavery in Ireland and be none the wiser.

We just don't know the rubbish that's being fed to us from the media....

Probably not far off the absolute rubbish you've been spouting in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Libya is going to need proper full military intervention from either Nato or the UN to get some semblance of order sorted ,too many tribal alliances backed by different groups ,
    Egypt are backing one alliance ,the UK France and Germany backing another , russia supplying and supporting another ,
    With no real consensus on what and who's in actual control of the country ,
    It's the same with the people smuggling we got a military taxi service rather than a full naval blockade to prevent boats and ships leaving the Libyan coast

I think you'll find Western meddling in the M.E. (and other places the West aren't wanted) pre-dates Obama and even Bushes Jnr and Snr....

And they have all been excoriated for their meddling.

Whereas The Angel Barack....

weeds.gif

Probably not far off the absolute rubbish you've been spouting in this thread.

No need now to get personal here.

Although I do remember the pheasant run' s during the 90's local slave's beating the grass sending burds into the air for the local and across the pond gentry...
    30 pounds a day but that wasn't slavery,it was just the local peasants doing well for themselves off the back of defenceless bird's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Prune Tracy

sure we're all debt slaves here. Half the country is mortgaged up to their bolleaux.
    Definition of slavery: forcing people to work/selling people to become the property of another - often in an abusive environment - for nothing.

Literal - not metaphorical.

Things don't have to get dismissed with "Big deal" if something that isn't the same (or even *is* the same) is happening in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Prune Tracy

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/932383261203898368
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/libya-says-probe-slave-auction-footage-112949827.html
    [font=Georgia, "Times New Roman", serif] [/font]

Country is a mess since the US decided to remove Gaddafi.
    Is this concern for migrants in a Muslim country or just a cue to have a go at Obama/H. Clinton?

Do you really have a problem with removal of a man who aided the provisional IRA?

Not saying this in a "we can't talk" way (of course we can talk) but there is also slavery in Western Europe unfortunately - not just imported from the Middle East and Africa but also from Eastern Europe and Ireland (travellers). It's a global problem.

Ever.
    I see them criticised constantly. :)

Definition of slavery: forcing people to work/selling people to become the property of another - often in an abusive environment - for nothing.

Literal - not metaphorical.

Things don't have to get dismissed with "Big deal" if something that isn't the same (or even *is* the same) is happening in Ireland.

We don't know if we're being told the truth yet or not.

Have we definitive proof there's slave's sold in Libya.

I remember working in Edinburgh year's ago and some guy got done for exploiting eastern Europeans.

He'd be making a percentage off their wages and they weren't registered etc

Look at recruitment companies, making a big profit from selling worker's on to companies.

The wage's are so ****e there's not enough for the workers to enjoy their time off.

If there wasn't recruitment agencies people would be earning a lot better money.

The marginal difference between an agency worker and actual worker in a factory could be 30%

• Registered Users Posts: 15,960 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

And they have all been excoriated for their meddling.

Whereas The Angel Barack....

weeds.gif

:rolleyes:
    Ok we get it. You're not an Obama fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

I reckon if you set up a site called POV, Plenty Of Visas you'd have the Brazillians all over it, they could swipe away and not take over the likes of Dicey's every evening.
    Sell the site for a fortune!

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:
    Ok we get it. You're not an Obama fan.

No, I am not. But I was when he got elected. And I would vote Democrat if I were in the States.

I am more disappointed in his legacy and what he managed to achieve as President. Also, i don't like the fact that he seems immune from legitimate criticism.

Particularly from the media.

Advertisement