Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)

GAA Stadium Standards

1235»

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭ gobo99


    pajoguy wrote: »
    The cost over runs are incredible on this project but I think Mckenna has compared PUC to alot of soccer and rugby stadia that are smaller in length by as much as 20m. The size of a Gaa pitch dictates that the stadium would be much bigger that a soccer or rugby stadium. It doesnt excuse the overspend.

    Just on this I agree with your point in general but surely if the perimeter of the pitch is longer then you shouldn't need to go two tiers up and should save money that way. Gaa pitches should be one tier covered all around, seated each side and covered terrace each end.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭ padd b1975


    gobo99 wrote: »
    Just on this I agree with your point in general but surely if the perimeter of the pitch is longer then you shouldn't need to go two tiers up and should save money that way. Gaa pitches should be one tier covered all around, seated each side and covered terrace each end.

    I recently found myself with an evening to kill in Doncaster so I decided to take in a league match.

    Their stadium is absolutely perfect for the size of the support. 15,000 all seated and covered and only cost a fraction of PUC.

    It's the sort of template the majority of counties should be imitating.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭ nice_guy80


    Money almost always disappears down a gully when the GAA undertake big infrastructure projects

    Semple
    McHale Park
    Salthill
    PUC
    Tullamore


  • Registered Users Posts: 15,331 ✭✭✭✭ BPKS


    gobo99 wrote: »
    Just on this I agree with your point in general but surely if the perimeter of the pitch is longer then you shouldn't need to go two tiers up and should save money that way. Gaa pitches should be one tier covered all around, seated each side and covered terrace each end.

    Then you couldnt make money on premium ticket sales and you also probably wouldnt have a suitable conference space.

    PUC could become the main conference centre in Cork. Plenty of parking, relatively easy to get to from the South Ring on an average work day. They could also lease some office space there to companies. 3 concerts a year.

    The revenue generating capabilities are there - they just need the right people to run it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,446 ✭✭✭✭ blanch152


    BPKS wrote: »
    Then you couldnt make money on premium ticket sales and you also probably wouldnt have a suitable conference space.

    PUC could become the main conference centre in Cork. Plenty of parking, relatively easy to get to from the South Ring on an average work day. They could also lease some office space there to companies. 3 concerts a year.

    The revenue generating capabilities are there - they just need the right people to run it.


    Huh?


    https://www.balls.ie/gaa/traffic-problems-affect-pairc-ui-chaoimh-attendance-368080


    "Car parking is rare around the stadium, and ahead of the weekend's games, the Gardai warned fans about parking illegally close to the stadium."

    "Despite the state-of-the-art facilities in the new Páirc, it still has the same traffic issues that fell upon the old stadium."


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭ big_drive


    blanch152 wrote: »
    Huh?


    https://www.balls.ie/gaa/traffic-problems-affect-pairc-ui-chaoimh-attendance-368080


    "Car parking is rare around the stadium, and ahead of the weekend's games, the Gardai warned fans about parking illegally close to the stadium."

    "Despite the state-of-the-art facilities in the new Pc, it still has the same traffic issues that fell upon the old stadium."
    For conferences etc its ok, i've be there at a couple of things.
    On a match day obviously its a whole other story


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ roadmaster


    A good few smaller stadiums over the next few years will need upgrade work. Before this happens the gaa need to lay down a minimum capacity such as 10/12 or 15k and a general standard for grounds such as dressing room's, toilets and refreshments options for supporters. By doing this there wont be any more newbridge type problems


Advertisement