Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)

GAA Stadium Standards

245

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭ Bonniedog


    Your last sentence is nonsense. People want facilities and services at games. It certainly would be worth their while having bars/food outlets as permanent features. People inside ground wont/cant be left leave if they want pint/sandwich to come back in.


    You don't know very much about the bar trade if you think that a bar in Conleths or Aughrim "makes sense." :)

    They get big crowds - big as in under 7,000, maybe 4/5 times a year, for two hours. Yeah, they would clean up at half time! Is it a match or a lapsed AA meeting you are talking about?


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭ The Lost Sheep


    Bonniedog wrote: »
    You don't know very much about the bar trade if you think that a bar in Conleths or Aughrim "makes sense." :)

    They get big crowds - big as in under 7,000, maybe 4/5 times a year, for two hours. Yeah, they would clean up at half time!
    Where did i say or imply anything about a bar "cleaning up"?
    Its providing basic services to customers. What is wrong with ticket holders having the opportunity to get a decent bit of grub/a drink during a game inside the ground?


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭ Bonniedog


    Where did i say or imply anything about a bar "cleaning up"?
    Its providing basic services to customers. What is wrong with ticket holders having the opportunity to get a decent bit of grub/a drink during a game inside the ground?


    Bars and food make sense in Croke Park because it gets lots of big crowds, and generally two games and people spend more time there than they do elsewhere.

    Would make zero sense to have a ground holding 6/7000 and probably only a few times a year if that to have the sort of thing you are talking about. Be huge money loser.

    Bars and decent food outlets cost a lot of money.

    And another thing. Have heard some rugby chaps blame GAA for not having provided grounds of a standard to host WC. IRFU has three decent grounds in Belfast, Dublin and Limerick. RDS is rented as far as I know. IRFU makes huge money from international TV rights. GAA has to support a vast organisation. Not our responsibility to be "our brother's keeper."


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭ Stephen15


    How about this for an idea build say a small stadium of about 5-10k in Bray use it for GAA at weekends and have Bray Wanderers play LOI on Friday nights while GAA matches could be played there on Sundays leaving Saturday for changing the markings, goalposts and doing any nessecary pitch repairs. Maximising the usuage of the grounds.

    Im sure a similar practice could be done in Louth with Drogheda/Dundalk games and if we were to get LOI teams up and running in Kildare and Navan. But hey I guess such things would make sense meaning they'll never happen just like anything in this country.


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭ The Lost Sheep


    Bonniedog wrote: »
    Bars and food make sense in Croke Park because it gets lots of big crowds, and generally two games and people spend more time there than they do elsewhere.

    Would make zero sense to have a ground holding 6/7000 and probably only a few times a year if that to have the sort of thing you are talking about. Be huge money loser.

    Bars and decent food outlets cost a lot of money.

    And another thing. Have heard some rugby chaps blame GAA for not having provided grounds of a standard to host WC. IRFU has three decent grounds in Belfast, Dublin and Limerick. RDS is rented as far as I know. IRFU makes huge money from international TV rights. GAA has to support a vast organisation. Not our responsibility to be "our brother's keeper."
    Bars and food make sense in any venue and if you provide better services you entice people to spend time there.
    These facilities dont have costs year round if not open and decent food outlets/bars dont have to cost an arm and a leg.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ ProudDUB


    Bars and food make sense in any venue and if you provide better services you entice people to spend time there.
    These facilities dont have costs year round if not open and decent food outlets/bars dont have to cost an arm and a leg.

    Exactly. If you have a captive audience of 10,000, 20,000, 30,000 odd people, there is serious money to be made in keeping them all fed & watered, if planned & managed properly.

    Over in the RDS, it's not unusual to see spectators (especially families) hanging out 60/90 minutes before the Leinster Rugby games actually start? Why? Because there are places for kids to run around before the game, throw a few balls around, play interactive games, jump on the bouncy castles etc etc while Ma & Da can grab a pint, or a decent bite to eat, or a coffee that doesn't taste like paint stripper. The RDS may be an extreme example, as the rugger buggers can piggyback on facilities that someone else lays on for them, but it bears out the truth of the "if you build it, they will come" mindset. That happens in lots of other sports & other venues too.

    GAA people don't tend to want to spend any more time than is strictly necessary in GAA grounds & I don't blame them, given the state of most of them. It's a shame, as there is serious coin to be made from them if they did.
    Stoner wrote: »
    Ahh they are not that bad. Pointing the car in the right direction home is half the battle

    Ok so, when Dublin play Galway in next years league, g'wan away off so & point your car towards Dublin, when you are parking up in Salthill. And then let us know how long it takes you to get back to your hotel, never mind Dublin.

    If we haven't heard back from ya by Easter, we'll send a search party ! :D


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭ nice_guy80


    Navan in fairness needs a revamp tho or perhaps they should have pooled in with Louth or Kildare and built a decent sized ground.

    I'd imagine that facilities in Dublin club football is so good they probably don't need a centre of excellence.
    some of the best club facilities I've ever seen are in Wexford
    eg Glynn Barntown, Blunclody or Castletown


  • Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭ DEFTLEFTHAND


    I knew the RWC bid would be in trouble when they saw the stadiums.

    They're not going to go from state of the art modernity in Japan back to three sided concrete jungles with a rickety stand.


  • Registered Users Posts: 24,243 ✭✭✭✭ tipp_Gunner


    That's such a backward view. You might not give a toss about comfort when watching a game but most people do, especially if they are bringing kids. One of the best things about going to Croke Park in my opinion is the fact that you can actually watch a game in comfort in a nice modern stadium with good views and facilities.

    Someone mentioned Castlebar as being a good example of what a county like Meath should aim for. I'm from Mayo and think MacHale Park is a terrible example of a stadium any county should base as a template imo. You have uncovered concrete benches on 3 sides that look awful and not in any ways comfortable as well as a recently build stand that for some reason has beams blocking peoples views. Don't even get me started on why the seats are blue!

    Kilkenny have gone about things the right way - a nice compact stadium where all four sides are covered.

    I think each of the three provinces outside Leinster should have one modern 30-40k 'mini Croke Park' with modern facilities and importantly have all four sides covered. We live in Ireland for Gods sake, we need stadiums that are covered. The idea that every county should have their own white elephant is ridiculous and is the reason why the GAA is in the situation now where in Munster there are multiple stadiums over 40k but none that would actually impress in any sort of modern context.

    I remember the first time being to Thurles and being excited about it after all I heard about it being the GAA's second stadium and to be honest I was completely underwhelmed. Why should the GAA not strive for the best? Quality over stadium size should be encouraged.


    The Sars no longer use the outside field belonging to the County board i believe so Thurles could really develop a state of the art 40-45000 seater over the next few years with increased parking facilities. I must admit i was underwhelmed with the so called upgrade myself. There is still bloody poles obstructing the view which this day and age considering the old stand was roofed in 2003 is pretty lame.

    The problem with Thurles though is the fact the town has no circular roads. People sing Lowry's praises up there but they have two TD's in the town now in both himself and Jackie Cahill who should be really pushing harder for a ring road. Traffic in the town is absolute chaos during rush hours and there is no choice but to use the town if you are nenagh or templemore bound coming from Slievenamon road for example and vice versa.


  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭ The Premier Man


    The Sars no longer use the outside field belonging to the County board i believe so Thurles could really develop a state of the art 40-45000 seater over the next few years with increased parking facilities. I must admit i was underwhelmed with the so called upgrade myself. There is still bloody poles obstructing the view which this day and age considering the old stand was roofed in 2003 is pretty lame.


    The outside pitch is still the only pitch sars have, they have bought land out near the racecourse but it will be a few years before that's ready to go


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭ marvin80


    Lack of conjoined thinking in most parts too. Surely for example it would make sense for Waterford and Waterford IT to pool their resources and build a top class greenfield facility when they had the chance?

    Apparently Waterford GAA were offered this opportunity by WIT but turned it down.
    WIT have a deadly setup in Carriganore.


  • Registered Users Posts: 34,056 ✭✭✭✭ PTH2009


    marvin80 wrote: »
    Apparently Waterford GAA were offered this opportunity by WIT but turned it down.
    WIT have a deadly setup in Carriganore.

    Walsh Park will be redeveloped in time for the 2019 championship (plans TBA) but it will host Waterfords 2 Munster championship home games next year against Tipp and Cork

    how on earth are they going to control the crowds both Tipp and Cork fans travel in big numbers and Waterford fans will show up no doubt.


  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Stoner


    ProudDUB wrote:
    Ok so, when Dublin play Galway in next years league, g'wan away off so & point your car towards Dublin, when you are parking up in Salthill. And then let us know how long it takes you to get back to your hotel, never mind Dublin.

    I get back no problem, I never leave early, big swing anyway, it's a bit of craic in the car with the gang, stop for grub let things die down.

    I always go home on the same day anyway I don't drink and I do most of the driving,
    It's fair enough if you do drink and want to get stuck in early, but all of my friends have young families and we get back that night so things are sorted for the next day, they have a few pints with their food.
    I understand it's different for other people, plus where I live in Dublin is an easy spot to drive back to.
    I wouldn't like a drive back to roundwood or similar.

    But I've no issue going to any of the game, make the most of it.

    I think there was one bad spin last year, can't remember, was in Monaghan?


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ ProudDUB


    Cavan. League game this past Spring. Traffic was murder getting through Virginia, for those eegits, poor misguided fools, twits, brave souls that went up that way. I've never been so glad to cross the border into Mordor before in me life. :D


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,661 ✭✭✭✭ OldMrBrennan83


    This post has been deleted.


  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Stoner


    Patww79 wrote:
    This post has been deleted.
    They'd one spot caused huge problems.

    Turned out there was great detour, all.tje cavan lads driving back to Dublin knew it. Sould have been sign posted on the way back. I imagine the town was massively inconvenienced that day too


  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ Second Yellow


    Bonniedog wrote: »
    Rugby and wendyball come begging to us for places to play when it suits them!

    That's a bit rich considering we get so much public funding and generally don't allow the facilities to be used by other codes.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,508 ✭✭✭✭ Fr Tod Umptious


    That's a bit rich considering we get so much public funding and generally don't allow the facilities to be used by other codes.

    Other sports are entitled to, and get, public funding also.

    And a lot of GAA infrastructure is built thanks in part from fundraising from fans, club members, etc etc.

    Why should the results of their efforts be shared with competing sports.

    This is why not getting the Rugby World Cup was a godsend.

    The IRFU would have taken all the plaudits without risking a penny and the GAA would be left with stadiums to maintain that barely got used.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭ nice_guy80


    That's a bit rich considering we get so much public funding and generally don't allow the facilities to be used by other codes.

    what other sports use club rugby grounds?
    what other sports use club soccer pitches?
    just wondering


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭ Bonniedog


    It was the IRFU's decision to make the bid. It was long shot bet to nothing on their part. They were totally dependent on GAA to provide the stadiums. GAA was kind enough to allow that and have no problem with it, but it would have been utterly naïve and suicidal for GAA to have upgraded facilities on a promise.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,407 ✭✭✭✭ namloc1980


    Why does it have to be a choice between the current dumps or massive white elephants? Decent small stadiums can be built. Look at this in Sweden. Nice small stadium with 7,000 capacity. Decent seats, comfortable and covered all around with no poles or pylons in the way.

    stadion-bravida-arena-bk-hc3a4cken.jpg


  • Registered Users Posts: 24,243 ✭✭✭✭ tipp_Gunner


    namloc1980 wrote: »
    Why does it have to be a choice between the current dumps or massive white elephants? Decent small stadiums can be built. Look at this in Sweden. Nice small stadium with 7,000 capacity. Decent seats, comfortable and covered all around with no poles or pylons in the way.

    Beautiful, reasonable to build and pragmatic......we just dont do it here though :pac:

    Thats a cracking little ground though. Personally I think more counties should pool their resources together. Shane Curran gave a valid idea a few years ago with Roscommon and Westmeath if they developed a ground in Athlone for example a border town


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,661 ✭✭✭✭ OldMrBrennan83


    This post has been deleted.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭ Stephen15


    namloc1980 wrote: »
    Why does it have to be a choice between the current dumps or massive white elephants? Decent small stadiums can be built. Look at this in Sweden. Nice small stadium with 7,000 capacity. Decent seats, comfortable and covered all around with no poles or pylons in the way.

    stadion-bravida-arena-bk-hc3a4cken.jpg

    Good for LOI club aswell. I think the plan is something similar for the new Dalymount Park as in coversed all the whole way around with no gaps between stands.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭ Bonniedog


    Stephen15 wrote: »
    Good for LOI club aswell. I think the plan is something similar for the new Dalymount Park as in coversed all the whole way around with no gaps between stands.

    No LOI team gets more than 4,000 at any game - that's Cork City, and average is something under 1,000. Should maybe buy them out as Cork County Board did with Turners Cross/PUíR. Be doing everyone a favour :)


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭ Stephen15


    Bonniedog wrote: »
    No LOI team gets more than 4,000 at any game - that's Cork City, and average is something under 1,000. Should maybe buy them out as Cork County Board did with Turners Cross/PUíR. Be doing everyone a favour :)

    But yet the new Dalymount is meant to be 10,000 and Tallaght holds 6,000


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭ Bonniedog


    Stephen15 wrote: »
    But yet the new Dalymount is meant to be 10,000 and Tallaght holds 6,000


    Two freebies that never have more than 2,000 people in them and 500 cops outside when they play one another. Who's paying for Bohs and scum to get another hand out? they could play in the Phoenix park the amount of people who watch them :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ lim4ev


    What about the Gaelic grounds in Limerick the Mackey stand is a disaster since day one and now has the smelliest toilets in the universe they then go ahead and revamp all sides bar the Mackey stand side and make a marvellous job of the far side with an open stand that for me is the best stand in the country to watch a hurling match from. Now that was the good news part of my story for ye that wouldn't frequent it for club matches etc they won't let anyone across to the far side I've remonstrated many times with the stewards to let me across especially on a fine day rather than having to watch from the Mackey stand but to no avail and what's the reason???? There's no services there which means there's no electricity or water for the toilets can you believe that it just beggars belief and gets me angry. I'm a season ticket holder and recently got a letter looking for support for the senior team I won't be giving them a cent until this crazy situation is sorted


  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭ Mehapoy


    lim4ev wrote: »
    What about the Gaelic grounds in Limerick the Mackey stand is a disaster since day one and now has the smelliest toilets in the universe they then go ahead and revamp all sides bar the Mackey stand side and make a marvellous job of the far side with an open stand that for me is the best stand in the country to watch a hurling match from. Now that was the good news part of my story for ye that wouldn't frequent it for club matches etc they won't let anyone across to the far side I've remonstrated many times with the stewards to let me across especially on a fine day rather than having to watch from the Mackey stand but to no avail and what's the reason???? There's no services there which means there's no electricity or water for the toilets can you believe that it just beggars belief and gets me angry. I'm a season ticket holder and recently got a letter looking for support for the senior team I won't be giving them a cent until this crazy situation is sorted
    They'd be better off selling the Gaelic grounds for housing and build a compact 20k all seater off the ring road, maybe near the race course, much handier for match day traffic and suits the county supporters more than having it practically in Clare...


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭ nice_guy80


    namloc1980 wrote: »
    Why does it have to be a choice between the current dumps or massive white elephants? Decent small stadiums can be built. Look at this in Sweden. Nice small stadium with 7,000 capacity. Decent seats, comfortable and covered all around with no poles or pylons in the way.

    stadion-bravida-arena-bk-hc3a4cken.jpg

    no disrespect, but a GAA pitch is so much bigger than a soccer pitch


Advertisement