Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gender pay gap- real or just a result of bad negotiations?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Prune Tracy

Ok i may have exaggerated when i said that its always ok, but you cant deny there is a vast different in the perception of a woman who doesnt work and a man who doesnt work.
    I dunno though. Think it depends. I mean certainly single mothers on welfare can be demonised (and I know some of them are taking the piss) and just people (either gender) on welfare in general.
    When i was talking about reliability i was considering the business impact of things like maternity leave.
    If an employer hires a woman there is a risk that they will need to fund their maternity leave (which can mostly be claimed back from the government usually). However there is far more lost when someone takes maternity leave. The business loses the persons experience, and are legally unable to permanently replace them, hiring temporary staff is costly and it is time consuming to train new staff to do the job. There is also a risk that the woman on maternity leave will decide at the end that they dont want to return to work.
    Yeah fair enough. It is a valid concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

blanch152 wrote: »
    My view always has been that if someone needs to work 60 hours a week at their current level to do their job than either

(1) They are not good enough to do their job and certainly couldn't handle the next level
    (2) Cannot delegate to others or work in teams and therefore not suitable for a senior management role
    (3) Haven't the resilience or mettle to request that their workload be made more appropriate and therefore not suitable for a senior management role.

While all that makes sense it's not how things generally work unfortunately. Most companies don't have that kind of vision. Resulting in upper management positions being populated by joyless cretins with no happiness in their lives and a determination to make life **** for their subordinates.

While all that makes sense it's not how things generally work unfortunately. Most companies don't have that kind of vision. Resulting in upper management positions being populated by joyless cretins with no happiness in their lives and a determination to make life **** for their subordinates.

Bizarre. While I have met individual managers or directors who behaved like that, the vast majority of leaders/managers were high energy, good vibes, kind of people. Incredibly competitive, strict with failure but very enthusiastic towards others' successes.

I think it really depends on which countries you work. I found 'doom and gloom 'in Ireland/UK to be more common (although hardly everywhere), but in Australia, Germany, and International companies in Asia to be far more professional. None of this taking their personal lives out on their employees. Although native companies in Asia tended to have much more petty leaders.

My experiences are mostly from a pvt small business and corporate. I think it's probably worth mentioning which part/type of business management you're referring to. I've heard horror stories from friends talking about management in services like Hotels or Call service... But my experiences in finance at corporate levels were highly professional and very interested in keeping efficient employees.

Advertisement