Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Adams finally retires

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

It would be pretty honourable if he turned around now and admitted being in the IRA instead of denying it constantly.
    Imagine the respect he'd garner from the families of IRA who died or the individuals who spent year after year in prison looking at him on the world's stage.
    Still I suppose he can't now or he'd be a liar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Proof is what's required by a court not 'I think or I believe'.

Is it?

thanks Judge .

its a wonder he never sued any of the many many creditable sources who have openly accused him of membership

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

It would be pretty honourable if he turned around now and admitted being in the IRA instead of denying it constantly.
    Imagine the respect he'd garner from the families of IRA who died or the individuals who spent year after year in prison looking at him on the world's stage.
    Still I suppose he can't now or he'd be a liar.

Are you really worried about his standing amoung militant republicans and their families??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

mynamejeff wrote: »
    how about Jean McConville's family or Jerry McCabe's family?

they managed to keep going didnt they ?

Perhaps they did. I don't see the point you're making. If you are attempting to equate apples and oranges then I don't really know how to reply.

But I will try. Adams devoted his life to a cause and position from which he has never veered. Within that personal and political trajectory he has been tortured, imprisoned, shot, threatened, vilified and otherwise lambasted on and of camera. He has endured banning orders, death threats, death ATTEMPTS. The list is quite extensive. His family members have been killed. And this over the course of him being from his teens to his sixties.

I can't recall such an iron spine in anyone. I can't even imagine it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

mynamejeff wrote:
    thanks Judge .
    No not a judge but for courts proof is what's required.
    mynamejeff wrote:
    its a wonder he never sued any of the many many creditable sources who have openly accused him of membership

Why bother, let them tie themselves up in knots and laugh from the sidelines. He seems to be weathly enough.

• Advertisement

Chrongen wrote: »
    Perhaps they did. I don't see the point you're making. If you are attempting to equate apples and oranges then I don't really know how to reply.

But I will try. Adams devoted his life to a cause and position from which he has never veered. Within that personal and political trajectory he has been tortured, imprisoned, shot, threatened, vilified and otherwise lambasted on and of camera. He has endured banning orders, death threats, death ATTEMPTS. The list is quite extensive. His family members have been killed. And this over the course of him being from his teens to his sixties.

I can't recall such an iron spine in anyone. I can't even imagine it.

he is and continues to be a criminal , that is a part of the life he choose for himself and his family . He is very far from a innocent victim

my sympathy is reserved for them.

Understand now ?

he is and continues to be a criminal , that is a part of the life he choose for himself and his family . He is very far from a innocent victim

Understand now ?

Holding political beliefs is not a crime?

He's afaik only been convicted of partaking in an escape,while being interned

Holding political beliefs is not a crime?

I guess it depends on
    the party you are a member of.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,260 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Does this mean Mary Lou will have to grow a beard?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

But he just opened a Snapchat account?! :confused:

• Advertisement

No not a judge but for courts proof is what's required.

Why bother, let them tie themselves up in knots and laugh from the sidelines. He seems to be weathly enough.

Many of his accusers are committed and long term comrades of Gerry Adams. why tie them up in knots ?

Ie Brendan Hughes and Dolours Price

mynamejeff wrote:
    Many of his accusers are committed and long term comrades of Gerry Adams. why tie them up in knots ?

How can you describe someone as a comrade and also an accuser?

I guess it depends on
    the party you are a member of.

depends what jurisdiction you live in

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1939/act/13/section/21/enacted/en/html

Crime in Ireland where Gerry a elected Representative

mynamejeff wrote:
    Crime in Ireland where Gerry a elected Representative

So why isn't he in prison ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Be realistic here, Gerry has been the SF chief since 1983. If the British security services wanted rid of Gerry they could have done it long ago.

He could have been imprisoned, murdered, accidentally shot, car crash etc etc, perhaps a major scandal, an allegation of sexual abuse / child abuse.... These people do have the power to do these things.

They have plenty information on him, Id be pretty sure that if Gerry farts MI5 knows how it smells. They have watched his every move for years.

But Gerry has been well protected, he is a known quantity for them, they didnt want Martin and him replaced by anybody else.

So why isn't he in prison ?

as i originally said hopefully some day soon he will be :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Our very own northern Mugabe ,
    He's not retiring or anything like it , simply a publicity stunt ,
    He's won't let go till he's put in the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I hope during the first few ardfheiseanna as leader, Mary lou wears a fake beard. Just for the transition period.

mynamejeff wrote:
    as i originally said hopefully some day soon he will be

He's 69, I think much to your dislike that ship has sailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

as i originally said hopefully some day soon he will be :D

Not. Gonna. Happen.

(Far too valuable an agent ;))

*** Im having a laugh with him being an actual paid agent by the way :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Be realistic here, Gerry has been the SF chief since 1983. If the British security services wanted rid of Gerry they could have done it long ago.

He could have been imprisoned, murdered, accidentally shot, car crash etc etc, perhaps a major scandal, an allegation of sexual abuse / child abuse.... These people do have the power to do these things.

They have plenty information on him, Id be pretty sure that if Gerry farts MI5 knows how it smells. They have watched his every move for years.

But Gerry has been well protected, he is a known quantity for them, they didnt want Martin and him replaced by anybody else.

You couldn't possibly be suggesting that Gerry was been protected by British powers both politically and from prosecution , could you ?

Imagine that being in the public domain.

Then again when you think about it , entirely possible.
    I wonder who would've negotiated something like that ? "Steak-knife , Danny Morrison, Gerry Kelly or maybe that poor soul who got his head blown off in Donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Understand now ?

I'm not putting the man on any kind of pedestal. But the closest you can come to is calling him a criminal. That label can be ascribed to pretty much everybody from a 10 year old to a pensioner.

I never, for one moment (to quote you) framed Adams as an "innocent victim", and I'm quite curious as to why you would even say such a thing.

I wrote that Adams, over the course of his life has displayed a fortitude that is probably rare in a generation. Those who cannot bring themselves to acknowledge this will lapse to things like bombings or killings or campaigns or a multitude of other things.

We all know that Gerry Adams brought Westminster to the table, the exact same way that Collins did 100 years ago. And it was all done via the barrel of a gun.

When you start criticising one man's way of fighting over those against whom he is fighting then maybe the discussion is drifting into something beyond logic.

What I will do is come back to the subject at hand. I don't know of a single politician on EARTH, in Westminster, The Kremlin, Congress, or any other house of legislation who has endured what Adams has.

Now I am almost certain that I am wrong because Castro has been looking over his shoulder for 60 years and I don't know if there are politicians who have been tortured by another sovereign government. But with all that in mind, and whatever you think about Irish Republicanism and the methods that have been employed to achieve it, I can't but look at Adams as someone very strong and very profound.

Permabear wrote:
    This post had been deleted.

Considering his length of service in the Dail his pension would be considerably lower than the the average industrial wage. Sometimes a little research is a benefit.

Considering his length of service in the Dail his pension would be considerably lower than the the average industrial wage. Sometimes a little research is a benefit.

Something something northern bank....bah humbug :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Jawgap wrote: »
    Mugabe gone.

Gerry going.

Just yer man in North Korea now.

Did you not hear?

Mugabe is looking for another role.

2382345079_be546e0053_o.jpg?w=166&h=278&crop&ssl=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Are my ears not working correctly or did a woman speaking on the podium of the Sinn Fein gathering say Gerry Adams was the leader of the IRA?
    Anyone confirm?

Jawgap wrote: »
    Mugabe gone.

Gerry going.

Just yer man in North Korea now.

If its the world we’re talking about, don’t forget the current clown at 1600 Pennsylvania Av........

• Registered Users Posts: 29,027 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

another sad day, but it was always going to come at some stage i guess. our boy jerry gave great service to this nation. standing up against sectarianism and empirialism. thank you for your service sir.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Im reminded of one of Gerry's favorite sayings. "I dont like Protestants" Deep

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement