Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Adams finally retires

Options
  • 18-11-2017 10:34pm

As expected the 69-year-old TD from Louth has announced his retirement as President of Sinn Féin, having been in the position since 1983. He will also not be running in the next election.

As somebody who vividly remembers the attacks on Adams and Hume and the Peace Process from Independent Newspapers, Kevin Myers, John Bruton and Michael McDowell in the early 1990s. I'm absolutely delighted that he outlasted all the Sticky and Sunday Independent crowd, and even lived to see "Sir" Anthony O'Reilly's bankruptcy. Moreover, I'm proud that with the help of Fianna Fáil, John Hume, Irish-America and Bill Clinton he was allowed to help end conflict in Ireland and thus consign all those opponents to the wrong side of history.

Lovely to see the underdog win, and I look forward to Pearse Doherty, or whoever will annoy the poppy-wearing Empire-glorifying Irish haters most, leading the party towards the reunification of Ireland.

Gerry Adams announces his retirement

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

I wish him all the best. Wonderful man and has moved mountains to remedy the situation on this island.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

This should be good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

*settles down with a big bowl of popcorn*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Pity Martin mcguiness wasn't there to be with him and ferris and hope he also avoids an indignity of a long goodbye

Wish him the best in retirement,
    Unlikely to see another politoan as influencel as him from ireland in our lifetimes..do hope he keeps tweeting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    *settles down with a big bowl of popcorn*

No he doesn’t like popcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I just wanna get a few cans and rollies together , could be a long night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Thanks be to Allah! At last !

He's my local TD. The sooner he's gone the better, as he was useless for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Mugabe gone.

Gerry going.

Just yer man in North Korea now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    I wish him all the best. Wonderful man and has moved mountains to remedy the situation on this island.

Indeed he moved mountains.......mostly so people could be buried in them ;)

No he doesn’t like popcorn

That's ok, I don't like to share.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Gustavo Uneven Splint, ya in a comfy chair ,pal ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

He's come a long way since the '80s, when he wasn't allowed appear on British television without first inhaling helium.

So just like any of the other TD really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭bilbot79

No Gerry Adams no Ian Paisley

What has happened to my life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Like it or not, our Northern brethren had their backs to the wall around 68-71, Lynch wasn't going to come up and save them, what were they meant to do, quietly and passively be slaughtered by Loyalist thugs like the Jews were in Germany?

Whatever you think about them Adams and McGuinness are the products of their environments and conditions, the days of the B Specials and Orange Hegemony are in the dustbin of history where they belong, 32 county republic or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Good luck Gerry. Hope you have a longer retirement than Martin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭bilbot79

dd972 wrote: »
    Like it or not, our Northern brethren had their backs to the wall around 68-71, Lynch wasn't going to come up and save them, what were they meant to do, quietly and passively be slaughtered by Loyalist thugs like the Jews were in Germany?

Whatever you think about them Adams and McGuinness are the products of their environments and conditions, the days of the B Specials and Orange Hegemony are in the dustbin of history where they belong, 32 county republic or not.

This is not lost on me, though it might be for a few people

What were you looking for? Clientilist politics to get your driveway done up with tarmac or what? I wish him well on his retirement. Played an integral role in the peace process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Be weird not seeing him around the political spectrum. He certainly earned his retirement.
    Be interesting if P.O'Neill also retires...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What were you looking for? Clientilist politics to get your driveway done up with tarmac or what? I him well on his retirement. Played an integral role in the peace process.

Not at all. I'm against parish pump politics but I expect a TD for a constituency to be available to his constituents, and to have some influence and impact on issues affecting the constituency as a whole. Even a slight interest in constituency concerns and the occasional appearance in the area would have been an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

I don't think I know of too many people who could be tortured and shot and have siblings killed and continue.

The common cliche is that every man has his price. I don't think a mountain of diamonds could buy Gerry Adams.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Jayop wrote: »
    Good luck Gerry. Hope you have a longer retirement than Martin.

I hope he is punished for all the crimes he committed and was complicit in committing

Chrongen wrote: »
    I don't think I know of too many people who could be tortured and shot and have siblings killed and continue.

how about Jean McConville's family or Jerry McCabe's family?

they managed to keep going didnt they ?

mynamejeff wrote:
    I hope he is punished for all the crimes he committed and was complicit in committing

If you have evidence of any crimes he committed the PSNI would love to hear from you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Fair play to him taking the spotlight off poor Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Army_of_One

I think he done great things for the peace process ,largely over shadowed my Martin McGuinness. Fair play to him.

Having said that I don'l like Sinn Fein the party , their policies or the people who support them . A bit simple with populist ideas.

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    If you have evidence of any crimes he committed the PSNI would love to hear from you.

in the post, but a copy to the Gardai would also be relevant unless you bevel that old republican fairy tail that he wasn't in the IRA

Not at all. I'm against parish pump politics but I expect a TD for a constituency to be available to his constituents, and to have some influence and impact on issues affecting the constituency as a whole. Even a slight interest in constituency concerns and the occasional appearance in the area would have been an improvement.

He’s topped the poll in the last 2 elections. As well as that SF got a 2nd seat in Louth the last time out. Must be doing something right......

• Advertisement

mynamejeff wrote:
    in the post, but a copy to the Gardai would also be relevant unless you bevel that old republican fairy tail that he wasn't in the IRA

Proof is what's required by a court not 'I think or I believe'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement