Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Adams to announce retirement from President of Sinn Fein

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I would too.

But Im not presenting myself as the champion of the working man / hero of the ordinary people and sticking it to the "elites". ;)

Fair point, Still if you had the chance to go business you would. Working man or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Fair point, Still if you had the chance to go business you would. Working man or not.

Not an option for most people and definitely not for someone on the average industrial wage - isn't that what GA is supposed to be on as an SF rep?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

So when is the leadership election? Will there only be a single candidate?

And then when does Mary Lou take over :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Doubt it. Your health is No.1. I'd find it hard to believe if anyone was sick no matter who are you wouldn't care, You'd be off in a shot

I don’t though. So I have no issue appearing two faced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

snowflaker wrote:
    Interesting himself and mugabe both announce their intentions to stand down on the same day. 34 years... wow sounds democratic

Mugabe I doubt came to the decision on his own.
    As for Gerry maybe the Army council had a word but doubtful.

• Advertisement

Jawgap wrote: »
    Not an option for most people and definitely not for someone on the average industrial wage - isn't that what GA is supposed to be on as an SF rep?

They have representatives who fly coach to america all the time, The miles build up. it costs nothing sure.

Everyone in sinn fein gets the same wage every week sure he's posted his bank statements online

• Registered Users Posts: 27,238 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

FCIM wrote: »
    Arguably Ireland's greatest ever politician and statesman.

Huh? Him and Jackie Healy-Rae are about equal in their positive contribution to Irish political life.

However, he does beat the bould Jackie in terms of having a bigger negative contribution.

I cannot think of a single achievement of Gerry Adams in government, oops, he was never in government, just like Jackie Healy-Rae.

Let me see, he did look after his friends and relatives (remember he found that job for Liam in Louth when nobody in the North would hire him) just like the Healy-Raes look after each other.

He made some colourful fanciful speeches, just like like the bould Jackie and climate change.

Yes, our Gerry is right up there with the greats of Killorglin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

They have representatives who fly coach to america all the time, The miles build up. it costs nothing sure.

Everyone in sinn fein gets the same wage every week sure he's posted his bank statements online

Surely they’d print them off???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Haha, best of luck with that.

Not a political person myself. Passing interest at best. But hes been around so long that the thread title caught my attention.

I can't stomach FG and Leo at all, too Nanny state for me. Not gone on FF either.

So out of the rest it's always been a toss-up for me. Main thing stopping me from voting SF would have been Mr. Adams.
    So its good news imo. Probably will help the party swing a good few undecided voters like myself.

An intelligent man for sure but way too heavily linked to the Ra and good riddance imho, the party will be better for it.

As for Irelands greatest ever statesman yer having a laugh right?

snowflaker wrote: »
    I don’t though. So I have no issue appearing two faced

If your sick and you need to go US. The only flight left is business class. You'll get it whether your broke or not. I'm not saying his was life threatening I couldn't care but if your's was you'd find a way.

Stop taking dirt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Really? I thought Billy Flynn paid for the surgery and Friends of SF paid for the business class ticket?

Nice to have friends like that.

snowflaker wrote: »
    Surely they’d print them off???

I'm sure just like me and you they do??

Jawgap wrote: »
    Really? I thought Billy Flynn paid for the surgery and Friends of SF paid for the business class ticket?

Nice to have friends like that.

I'm sure it is, Would you not let me pay for your surgery if you were dying. Again not that I know that he was dying but you would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

So he has hinted that he is planning on "retiring" for the nth time. Don't know why but I get the feeling that this has been released to counter the 2%-3% gain the Leo will have taken from that Sun article today. I think we all know that Adams will stop pulling the strings in SF when he dies. Can't afford to retire, health care in the USA is very expensive as are Aer Lingus business class flights to the USA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Berserker wrote: »
    So he has hinted that he is planning on "retiring" for the nth time. Don't know why but I get the feeling that this has been released to counter the 2%-3% gain the Leo will have taken from that Sun article today. I think we all know that Adams will stop pulling the strings in SF when he dies. Can't afford to retire, health care in the USA is very expensive as are Aer Lingus business class flights to the USA.
    He has said he's not running for reelection and is his last Ard deis as president

Are yous just outraged without watching it :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 67,051 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

. I think we all know that Adams will stop pulling the strings in SF when he dies.

He hasn't died yet so I would say that's a guess. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Very arguable or as many would say, one of the greatest organisers of violence against innocent people.!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Mugabe I doubt came to the decision on his own.
    As for Gerry maybe the Army council had a word but doubtful.

army council? the fairyland talk around here is just hilarious. It'll be interesting to see what happens when the special ard fheis is announced and the new president is elected. SF might get even more popular, and there'll be many a poster on this thread that'll feel sick about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

He hasn't died yet so I would say that's a guess. :rolleyes:

I'd say he's aware that he hasn't passed on yet. And it's called an assumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭FCIM

blanch152 wrote: »
    Huh? Him and Jackie Healy-Rae are about equal in their positive contribution to Irish political life.

However, he does beat the bould Jackie in terms of having a bigger negative contribution.

I cannot think of a single achievement of Gerry Adams in government, oops, he was never in government, just like Jackie Healy-Rae.

Let me see, he did look after his friends and relatives (remember he found that job for Liam in Louth when nobody in the North would hire him) just like the Healy-Raes look after each other.

He made some colourful fanciful speeches, just like like the bould Jackie and climate change.

Yes, our Gerry is right up there with the greats of Killorglin.

Yeah... Jackie Healy-Rae was absolutely fundamental in bringing about the peace process :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement

maccored wrote: »
    army council? the fairyland talk around here is just hilarious. It'll be interesting to see what happens when the special ard fheis is announced and the new president is elected. SF might get even more popular, and there'll be many a poster on this thread that'll feel sick about it.

Hope they pick someone youngish for 10 -15 years leadership

>>maybe needs new thread

Very arguable or as many would say, one of the greatest organisers of violence against innocent people.!

aye, sure rewrite history while yer at it.

He has said he's not running for reelection and is his last Ard deis as president

Are yous just outraged without watching it :D:D:D

Believe it when I see it. Would you be surprised if he did a 'u' turn?

Hope they pick someone youngish for 10 -15 years leadership

>>maybe needs new thread

it's a year away anyway I'd say

blanch152 wrote:

I have no truck with SF but seriously cop on, Adams had a pivotal rule in the peace process as much as that may irk you it's a fact. He's no angel but he had a hand in ending the slaughter in the north.

Believe it when I see it. Would you be surprised if he did a 'u' turn?

considering he's jsut told a packed crowd he wasnt, I'd be very surprised. How many U turns have you seen adams doing? zero as far as I can see

Yeah... Jackie Healy-Rae was absolutely fundamental in bringing about the peace process :rolleyes:.

Unfair. Healy-Rae got countless roads, schools etc built for the people of Kerry.

Haters gonna hate

There all only sickened after generations of mud slinging at adams etc

Hes retiring on own terms,and still held internationally respected as a statesman....how many other irish/european politians took part in a gaurd of honour for Mandela

maccored wrote:

I have no loyalty to any party. Whether you believe that or not is irrelevant. I have family living in the north and a lot of experience of life up there. Gerry denied membership of the RA and that's fine the Queens intelligence services couldn't find proof to the contrary but there is no way the hard men of the RA listened to a lad outside of the organisation. I do however recognise his contribution to the peace process and hope he enjoys his retirement but he is along with several of friends responsible for others never getting to see a retirement.

• Advertisement

maccored wrote: »
    considering he's jsut told a packed crowd he wasnt, I'd be very surprised. How many U turns have you seen adams doing? zero as far as I can see

I'll start with a very simple one. One of many. I'll leave you be to think of the rest. One of SF personal favourites, water charges.

Advertisement