Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice dolphins, string quartets and a €13k party...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

All they were short were a few strippers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

myshirt wrote: »

Theres lads in Kilkenny who could help with information on that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Its the puffed up vainglory of it that's making me laugh, a Dolphin ice sculpture:D 'because im worth it'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭corner of hells

myshirt wrote: »

And unicorns.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

mariaalice wrote: »
    Its the puffed up vaingloriou of it that's making me laugh, a Dolphin ice sculpture:D 'because im worth it'

How old is this guy? That's like something the spoilt teenage daughter of a Russian oligarch would demand to have at her birthday party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Ireland shan't be free 'til the steets run red with the blood of the cosseted and preening intelligentsia!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

It's not a real party unless there was naked dwarves carrying trays of cocaine on their heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

“Lads do we have enough money for an ice sculpture?”

“Who’s paying?”

“Taxpayer”

“Plenty. Get two”.

Where does this money even come from? Is there a contingency fund in CIT for parties? They hardly went to the Dept. with a request for ice sculptures.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Signed off by Brendan Murphy himself, he of the 30k Austrian Oak desk in his office fame. Whilst the hardworking lecturers of the college sit freezing their tits off in prefabs cabins for offices.

It's not like the college has a School of Music attached to it or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

razorblunt wrote: »
    Signed off by Brendan Murphy himself, he of the 30k Austrian Oak desk in his office fame. Whilst the hardworking lecturers of the college sit freezing their tits off in prefabs cabins for offices.

Because he’s worth it.

Also

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/cork-institute-of-technology-spent-20-000-on-two-portraits-1.3152684?mode=amp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Complete lack of oversight at third level institutions for the last decade.

You have all the universites and bigger institutes claiming the poor mouth and hiking fees and charges every opportunity whilst pumping money into trusts and other setups to hide it from government eyes so the books look like they are barely getting by.

We dont have "fees" yet we still manage to have one of the highest third level fees in europe!.

We would do well to overhaul the entire system and pump alot of those funds into a more structured apprenticeship system and encourage students to consider them as a worthwhile avenue after school.

As a student of CIT i have been to some awards ceremonies out there that have had the string quartets and good grub along with awards commissoned from a particular artist to sculpt. Every 3rd level institution is the same.

Sure UCC down the road is claiming the poor mouth while buying up buildings all over the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

PAC need to get involved and pull these clowns over the coals.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Pay the goddamn money back, you wanna pardee? You pay. Next

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Having portraits, music at awards ceremonies a bit of food is a good idea as long as its not ott, a utilitarian approach to everything is not a good idea. His retirement party should have consisted of a small party of drinks, food, a few speeches paid for by the college the colleges should have guidelines for those sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

That's what the taxpayer funded for the retirement party of CIT head Andrew Murphy.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/dolphin-ice-sculpture-part-of-13-000-spend-on-cork-it-chief-s-departure-1.3294529

Echoes of his UCC namesake Michael saying it was hard to get by on just a €232,000 pa salary at the height of the recession...

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/life-is-a-struggle-on-232000-says-university-president-26895973.html

When did the upper echelons of the education sector become so divorced from reality as to think this drain on the public purse was justified?

They also commissioned a 20k portrait of the lad himself..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Ireland shan't be free 'til the steets run red with the blood of the cosseted and preening intelligentsia!!!!

We could have a full scale revolution and within 12 months the new elite would be exactly the same as the old.
    The problem in this country is that only gombeens rise to positions of power and the rest of us are too weary to do a damn thing about it.

Registration fees of 3k a year have to go somewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

It's not a real party unless there was naked dwarves carrying trays of cocaine on their heads.

Ah God bless Freddie, that man could throw a do!

We could have a full scale revolution and within 12 months the new elite would be exactly the same as the old.
    The problem in this country is that only gombeens rise to positions of power and the rest of us are too weary to do a damn thing about it.

Its not an Irish phenomenon

'All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others'

• Advertisement

mariaalice wrote: »
    Its the puffed up vaingloriou of it that's making me laugh, a Dolphin ice sculpture:D 'because im worth it'

Along with the self portraits, it all sounds very Marie Antoinette...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Yes, I remember that at the time as I was in the college in 2007. Sneaked completely under the radar even then!
    Absolutely ridiculous carry on.

Yes, I remember that at the time as I was in the college in 2007. Sneaked completely under the radar even then!
    Absolutely ridiculous carry on.

absolutely rubbish paintings as well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Theres lads in Kilkenny who could help with information on that

I meant chicken strippers, you bad man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭valoren

In IT academia, they lecture on and on about how project management, process models, requirements, delivery etc all fit neatly into established academic models where everything goes perfectly according to plan where the requirements are perfect, the development is a work of art, the testing is thorough and the end users in the business are happy. In reality, these models become completely irrelevant. Put anyone of these tenured academics into a real world IT project with budgets, deadlines and real people and they'd get a serious reality check.

And when they eventually resign and go back to academia, their leaving do will be a cake in the canteen, maybe an email to thank everyone leaving their email and a few pints later that evening that no one turns up for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Mao said something similar and look what happened in China!

valoren wrote: »
    In IT academia, they lecture on and on about how project management, process models, requirements, delivery etc all fit neatly into established academic models where everything goes perfectly according to plan where the requirements are perfect, the development is a work of art, the testing is thorough and the end users in the business are happy. In reality, these models become completely irrelevant. Put anyone of these tenured academics into a real world IT project with budgets, deadlines and real people and they'd get a serious reality check.

And when they eventually resign and go back to academia, their leaving do will be a cake in the canteen, maybe an email to thank everyone leaving their email and a few pints later that evening that no one turns up for.

what's this got to do with anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

????????

Sure UCC down the road is claiming the poor mouth while buying up buildings all over the city.

I actually couldn't believe it when I saw UCC as a sponsor on the Cork City FC jerseys. WTF like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

My Super Sweet Retirement Party.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Charmeleon

????????

I presume they mean a few music students would be delighted to play instead of hiring a string quartet for €700.

Advertisement