Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ikea now delivering nationwide

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Teething problems I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Surely an error! I’d also be very surprised if a big company like Ikea was making deals with a load of random men with vans. I feel a bit sorry for the men with vans! Though the one I’ve used once or twice posted on Facebook this am that they would price match or beat Ikea delivery prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

jlm29 wrote: »
    Surely an error! I’d also be very surprised if a big company like Ikea was making deals with a load of random men with vans. I feel a bit sorry for the men with vans! Though the one I’ve used once or twice posted on Facebook this am that they would price match or beat Ikea delivery prices.

The guy I used for Waterford really "delivered" ;)
    It's 70 euros for delivery and you can fill the van. I got 3 big pieces of furniture + a dozen smaller things delivered AND assembled for 200 euros last time. Think I'll stick with this guy.

Edit : assembly is important for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

there's a guy doing deliveries from ikea to Galway for a while . Check out flat pack hero Galway on Facebook . I had it bookmarked as buying our own next year and he gets good reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I've been offering an IKEA shop and deliver service through www.VanTasks.ie before the Dublin store even opened so this is definitely going to reduce demand for that service unless someone wants something urgent/same day or they don't offer the home delivery for the items wanted.

A UK company called Breezemount managed their UK deliveries and I believe they have been contracted to manage the Irish deliveries since the store opened too.

I know another company based in the West doing the same shop and deliver service for years from Dublin, fully insured and experienced with this, neither of us have been approached about outsourcing. Bear in mind, most "man with a van" types are operating illegitimately without the proper insurance etc so I doubt there's any set up with individuals like this. Breezemount have always delivered nationwide for them.

Their delivery charges for some items seem to be following their regular pick and deliver fee for sure. I'm not sure if their scheduling for deliveries is still the same, but the attached image shows the pricing at least. The picking service is then €15 on top and is obviously necessary in the case of online ordering and not being in store to do the picking yourself.

I'm not sure where the discrepancy between their regular charging and the new €7.50 charge comes into play and what determines an item to qualify for either. I did a sample quote of 7 mattress toppers worth almost €700 to Cork and delivery was still €7.50. Mattress toppers aren't exactly small and compact and they weren't cheap either so I don't think it's a size of price thing.

It may be teething problems. The site only updated with the new system Wednesday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Maybe their schedule of charges is based on weight of items. Annything over 20kgs maybe becomes a two man delivery. Just surmising.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

loyatemu wrote: »
    it's the same as their "pick & delivery" charges which are detailed here:

Pricing

You can have all your products picked and delivered for:

Dublin, Wicklow, Kildare, Meath €44

Louth, Monaghan, Cavan, Longford, Westmeath, Offaly, Laois, Kilkenny, Carlow, Wexford €64

Donegal, Leitrim, Sligo, Mayo, Roscommon, Galway, Clare, Tipperary, Limerick, Kerry, Cork, Waterford €84

it's not cheap but certainly from here (Wicklow) you'd spend €10 on tolls and fuel going to the store, and probably another €30 on crap you don't need in the shop :)

if you're coming up from Wicklow or Wexford might be cheaper to order and collect from the Carrickmines store I think it's 25 euro to collect an item

• Registered Users Posts: 14,753 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

casio4 wrote: »
    if you're coming up from Wicklow or Wexford might be cheaper to order and collect from the Carrickmines store I think it's 25 euro to collect an item

the problem with the Carrickmines store is you have go to the damn store to order, then go back the next day to collect. Maybe they'll add a "deliver to Carrickmines" option to the website, but it's not there yet. I guess it's all a question of how much you value your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,971 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I was doing a new kitchen and other bits to the house recently, I drove up from Cork to Ikea and spent the day in the showroom and getting the final tweeks on our kitchen plan done. I got the whole lot delivered to my door in Cork for €69, it would have equated to 6 pallets of stuff, absolute bargain.

Had a look at the site there and I picked 1 chair, €7.50 delivery, then I picked 50 and it was still €7.50, very good price.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I added some large items and they are willing to deliver them all over the country, including places like remote parts of Kerry and Tory Island, but not to Galway. I'm hoping that's just some sort of error that they will fix. It seems bizarre to exclude Galway.

Not bizarre at all, you terrible Galwegians aren't allowed to have our lovely Ikea furniture :p
    loyatemu wrote: »
    the problem with the Carrickmines store is you have go to the damn store to order, then go back the next day to collect. Maybe they'll add a "deliver to Carrickmines" option to the website, but it's not there yet. I guess it's all a question of how much you value your time.

That is mad :eek: What a stupid setup.

I love Ikea and they get a lot right, but I have to say their IT side sucks. Website, apps, etc. are all buggy and rubbish. Which might explain the Galway thing too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

bk wrote: »
    I love Ikea and they get a lot right, but I have to say their IT side sucks. Website, apps, etc. are all buggy and rubbish. Which might explain the Galway thing too.

I must agree with that. Which is an extreme pity, as it used to be one of the best out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 13 LaVidaEsAsi

I was so excited to see this but then I logged in to try and order the items I've been saving in my list for my next trip to Dublin and I'm so disappointed.

I had 13 items in my basket and only 5 were eligible for delivery. Then when I put in my eircode, one of those 5 also became ineligible. So only 4 items out of 13 can be delivered to me. That's a bit useless really.

I suppose I'll have to venture up to Dublin after all.

At least the site recognised your Eircode.

I've had my eye on a chair in IKEA for a while now, but I don't drive and hadn't quite gotten around to convincing a relative/friend to venture out to IKEA with me. I was pleased to hear of this new delivery service and went onto the site to check how much delivery would be. The site will just not recognise my Eircode even though I know it is correct, and when I clicked on the link they had provided to go check it again on the Eircode website - the Eircode site confirmed that yes, it is correct. Does this mean that they just don't deliver to my area? I don't know, another section of their site shows that they deliver to Dublin in general, no area excluded. I agree with other posters who've mentioned that their IT side of things isn't the best. Their website seems to leave a lot to be desired. It just puts me off Ikea altogether...

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

At least the site recognised your Eircode.

I've had my eye on a chair in IKEA for a while now, but I don't drive and hadn't quite gotten around to convincing a relative/friend to venture out to IKEA with me. I was pleased to hear of this new delivery service and went onto the site to check how much delivery would be. The site will just not recognise my Eircode even though I know it is correct, and when I clicked on the link they had provided to go check it again on the Eircode website - the Eircode site confirmed that yes, it is correct. Does this mean that they just don't deliver to my area? I don't know, another section of their site shows that they deliver to Dublin in general, no area excluded. I agree with other posters who've mentioned that their IT side of things isn't the best. Their website seems to leave a lot to be desired. It just puts me off Ikea altogether...

They seem to want the space in the eircode. I never even noticed that there was a space in the eircode before because I've never had to use the space on any other website. I think it's after the first three characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 LaVidaEsAsi

They seem to want the space in the eircode. I never even noticed that there was a space in the eircode before because I've never had to use the space on any other website. I think it's after the first three characters.

Thanks for this! Yeh, I've never noticed the space myself either. I've had to enter my Eircode on other sites before, but the space wasn't required.

I just checked and the delivery charge is a third of the price of the chair I was considering (delivery within Dublin). Not sure I'm sold on that personally. It might be worth my while If I was buying more items, as the delivery charge would be the same regardless. That isn't the case though. I had a look at some other items out of interest as well; e.g. a nice sofa, which it turns out is not available for delivery (many of their seemingly better quality ones don't appear to be) so I can see what was said earlier in the thread about items in the basket not being available for delivery. Having looked at the beds, I wouldn't be keen on the delivery charge for them either given that I got a bed frame and very good quality mattress from Bargaintown about 2 years ago that should last me years, with free delivery and optional home assembly for about EUR20 if I remember correctly. It's safe to say my interest has dwindled a fair bit...

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Yeah it does seem very cheap alright..
    Text from Ikea this morning

" We are unfortunately unable to despatch your parcel delivery as scheduled, we will update you further by text. Apologies for any inconvenience."

Hmmm

I was looking at a chair too, and as of today delivery still comes up as 7.50 for Waterford.

Has anyone received any of the 7.50 deliveries yet ?
    Not sure if it's worth my while chancing it, the alternative is driving up there this week-end so it'd be good to know if these deliveries were in fact honored or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

In case anyone else is wondering, they fixed the Galway issue. I knew it had to be a mistake.

It's not much good to me anyway, though, since most of my basket can't be delivered anywhere.

I wonder if eventually more of their stock will be eligible for delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭123654789

I saw on the news they will open a Cork store. Carrigtohill. Probably take years though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

123654789 wrote: »
    I saw on the news they will open a Cork store. Carrigtohill. Probably take years though.

Somebody from the other end of Ireland will lodge an objection and hold the whole thing up for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

123654789 wrote: »

No doubt someone from Connemara will object to its development!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

Ordered a whole set of wardrobes for a renovation project, 64 euro to deliver to Wexford. Totally worth it. Got a text today saying they will be delivered on the 29th and they will text again to give time slot of delivery. I'm very impressed so far, so handy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Keep us updated, I'd love to get some things delivered to Waterford but would love to know of your experience first!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Keep us updated, I'd love to get some things delivered to Waterford but would love to know of your experience first!

There’s a man in dungarvan with a van, who would deliver either. I’m not sure I can mention names on here, but pm if you want details. I’ve used him before, he delivered to my door, and I would highly recommend!

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭CSSE09

I was looking at a chair too, and as of today delivery still comes up as 7.50 for Waterford.

Has anyone received any of the 7.50 deliveries yet ?
    Not sure if it's worth my while chancing it, the alternative is driving up there this week-end so it'd be good to know if these deliveries were in fact honored or not.

The €7.50 deliveries are with an post, they probably have a contract for X weight and X dimensions. I tried 2 different tabletops, one was ~20cm larger and it changed from €7.50 to €44. Looks like they just have two flat delivery charges, I'd expect it to be honored.

CSSE09 wrote: »
    The €7.50 deliveries are with an post, they probably have a contract for X weight and X dimensions. I tried 2 different tabletops, one was ~20cm larger and it changed from €7.50 to €44. Looks like they just have two flat delivery charges, I'd expect it to be honored.

Well the chair was got this week-end after a trip up and down the country (impatience !), but we had seen the box and it was quite big, so 7.50 is great value ! It's the roundy swivel chair that comes in a multicolour design. Maybe it's the weight of items ? I think it wasn't too heavy.

Found the details :

Swivel chair SKRUVSTA

Article no: 502.800.41
    Package : 1
    Length: 73 cm
    Width: 67 cm
    Height: 43 cm
    Weight: 9.15 kg
    Weight: 7.18 kg
    Volume per package: 206.3 l

Anyway it's great value and good to know for further purchases !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭nothing

Ordered a bunch of stuff about ten days ago, delivered this morning. Two lads were lovely (especially after I'd typed in the wrong eircode!) and brought everything up to my apartment and into the hall. Unfortunately they missed a box (I'd ordered a load and ticked them off myself but mistook one) but they called to say they'll drop it on their way back. Couldn't fault the delivery itself, will be a few days before I've opened and built everything though.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

No doubt someone from Connemara will object to its development!

Some blow in living in Connemara more likely!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Some blow in living in Connemara more likely!

yes - originally from Cork, living in Connemara but still has visions of returning to the sacred sod of the "real" capital.

boi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Not too convinced by the service. Ordered on November 30th and was given a delivery date of December 19. On the 17th my account info showed that the order was being processed, so I thought all was well.
    Yesterday came and went, checked online and found that they didn't pick and send the order until yesterday.
    Postman has just been and delivered a giant package, unfortunately it's only half the order. No packing slip included, no explanation. Won't be in a hurry to order from them again :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement