Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mel Gibson "article" in the indo

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Gibson was only blacklisted when he made anti- Semitic comments, as Hollywood is built upon Jewish money. It all comes back to being about money whatever way you look at it. Money is numero uno. Morals have feck all to do with anything in Hollyweird.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Aethan Dor

The thing that also bothered me in the Indo article and evidence of further poor research in lieu of the writers agenda is their use of comparison between Chris Brown and Winona Ryder.

In that it mentions Chris Brown going on to have a (never heard of ) Docu show on Netflix as a sign of his bad behaviour not affecting his career but believing Winona Ryder to be blacklisted since her shoplifting incident yet totally ignoring her recent starring role in one of Netflixs biggest recent successes on Stranger Things 1 + 2 :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Is he on the Late Late tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 13,131 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Is he on the Late Late tonight

Yes prerecorded.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Aethan Dor wrote: »
    The thing that also bothered me in the Indo article and evidence of further poor research in lieu of the writers agenda is their use of comparison between Chris Brown and Winona Ryder.

In that it mentions Chris Brown going on to have a (never heard of ) Docu show on Netflix as a sign of his bad behaviour not affecting his career but believing Winona Ryder to be blacklisted since her shoplifting incident yet totally ignoring her recent starring role in one of Netflixs biggest recent successes on Stranger Things 1 + 2 :confused:

She had pretty much disappeared before stranger things. It was very odd for someone who was such a huge star in the 80s and early 90s

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

What I like about Mel is that he doesn't act like he's some kind of precious artist say like pretentious Hollywood blowhards like Johnny Depp, who's also a violent misogynist as well as being a dog smuggler:rolleyes:.
    In many ways Mel probably nearer to a real artist than most in Hollywood as there isn't too many who would take the risk of making the likes of the passion of the Christ and apocalyto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Mel-Gibson-in-Braveheart-904657.jpg

What Mel Gibson really said in that famous Braveheart speech, but got edited.

"They may take OUR wives! No, seriously... they can take our wives."

True story!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

That picture reminds me of this great criticism of the film.
    "a wild and hairy highlander painted with woad (1,000 years too late) running amok in a tartan kilt (500 years too early)."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Prune Tracy

What I like about Mel is that he doesn't act like he's some kind of precious artist say like pretentious Hollywood blowhards like Johnny Depp, who's also a violent misogynist as well as being a dog smuggler:rolleyes:.
    In many ways Mel probably nearer to a real artist than most in Hollywood as there isn't too many who would take the risk of making the likes of the passion of the Christ and apocalyto.
    While I can totally separate the art from the person, the downplaying and glossing over is a bit much here tbh. It's not ideal when those you admire turn out to be awful, but that's no grounds for acting as though they've done nothing wrong either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

If everyone of us was filmed or had a recording mic on them none of us would come out of it squeeky clean. Some people just like to think they are angels, it's not how the world works.

Exactly. Who among us can, hand on heart, say we've never told someone that we hope they get "raped by a pack of n**gers"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Indeed, sure it's all the rage these days.

1417503f33d6195635063015a28e6572--get-account-online-bank-account.jpg

Typical, innit? These black rap artists can use the 'N' word whenever they like, whatever the context, and nobody complains, but poor old Mel uses it once while expressing his embarrassment with his ex (who looks like a bitch in heat and therefore deserves to get raped) and he's suddenly public enemy number one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Gibson is no doubt a nasty piece of work imo but damn can the man act and direct in some great movies, personally i think with the exception of a few unforgivable crimes most people once they do the time should be allowed to resume their work, i have never looked to celebrities for moral guidance i look to them for entertainment which Gibson has provided many times. As for Mark Wahlberg he commited a serious crime decades ago, isn't it possible the man could actually be a reformed character? How long do you judge somebody by a previous crime by. What he did was very wrong but there's many of cases of people who have done even worse and are now very decent members of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Careful coming in here with all those rational, non-hysterical thoughts and common sense... it doesn't go down well with the loo-las...

Question for, well, everybody...
    Have you ever said "I'll feckin kill ya!" to your brother/sister/husband/wife/bf/gf/child/mate?
    ..... did you mean it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

RayM wrote: »
    Typical, innit? These black rap artists can use the 'N' word whenever they like, whatever the context, and nobody complains.....

She didn't use the 'N word' in that tweet. Well, at least not the really bad 'N word'.

I was simply referencing the fact that she had also wished rape on someone, just like Mel had.

And why did you bring Azealia's skin colour into it? That's not very progressive of you, Raymond.

She didn't use the 'N word' in that tweet. Well, at least not the really bad 'N word'.

I was simply referencing the fact that she had also wished rape on someone, just like Mel had.

And why did you bring Azealia's skin colour into it? That's not very progressive of you, Raymond.

I'm just glad that we have men like you on Boards, who, whenever a man is criticised for doing something awful, will not only step up and defend him, but will also go out of his way to find an example of a woman doing something similar (albeit not accompanied by domestic violence).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭storker

RayM wrote: »
    Typical, innit? These black rap artists can use the 'N' word whenever they like, whatever the context, and nobody complains, but poor old Mel uses it once while expressing his embarrassment with his ex (who looks like a bitch in heat and therefore deserves to get raped) and he's suddenly public enemy number one.

:D

From a "Letter" to Viz:

"How come rap artist Dr Dre can use then N word whenever he likes but when I use it at my son's football match I am asked to leave the park. Once again it's one law for the rich and another for everyone else."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Prune Tracy

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Careful coming in here with all those rational, non-hysterical thoughts and common sense... it doesn't go down well with the loo-las...

Question for, well, everybody...
    Have you ever said "I'll feckin kill ya!" to your brother/sister/husband/wife/bf/gf/child/mate?
    ..... did you mean it?
    Yeah that is so comparable to what Mel did.

Could you point out the loo-las? Just to let you know first, a person who doesn't agree with you is not a loo-la. Could you advise too how criticism of domestic abuse is loo-la?

Being a fan of Mel Gibson and wanting to see his career resurrect is not an issue imo - but defending him and downplaying domestic abuse is... well pretty loo-la.

Advertisement