Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mel Gibson "article" in the indo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Once again, I've amended the post, completely new member. And amended it long before you posted your reply.

I still consider him a scumbag. You're right, we can all form our own opinion on him.

Oh and Wahlberg was treated as an adult with regards to his crimes. Guess the US doesn't have an "advanced democratic legal system" then?

You're both right - the USA does treat under 17 as juveniles UNTIL the crime so bad they are treated as an adult.

Wahlberg's was and so he was tried as an adult AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Plague Maiden

Yes, I am completely new. You busted me! I'm from the Marky Mark Defence League. I signed up to a random Irish discussion forum in anticipation of Marky's name being tarnished. And wouldn't you know it, that's exactly what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Jayop wrote: »
    Blue died doing what he loved. You're my boy blue!

Little Boy Blue.

He needed the money

Awwoooo!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Yes, I am completely new. You busted me! I'm from the Marky Mark Defence League. I signed up to a random Irish discussion forum in anticipation of Marky's name being tarnished. And wouldn't you know it, that's exactly what happened.

:D:D:D

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

If they had to permanently excommunicate everyone with a criminal conviction from the film industry, we would have fcuk all left.

She's a journalist. By her logic if she was to be convicted of say, dangerous driving and caused injuries to her passenger as a result, lost her job and served out a sentence, she should never be allowed write a single article again. Or a book or blog or anything that she can make money from.
    People often lose their job or career as a by-product of their crime but it's up to the industry and/ or employers.

I'm not a defender of MG by any means. And I don't believe that he's reformed either. But expecting he'll not be allowed to work again because he committed an offence unrelated to his work is a bit daft.

• Advertisement

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Once again, I've amended the post, completely new member. And amended it long before you posted your reply.

I still consider him a scumbag. You're right, we can all form our own opinion on him.

Oh and Wahlberg was treated as an adult with regards to his crimes. Guess the US doesn't have an "advanced democratic legal system" then?

The US has over 2000 minors serving life without parole. It has executed over 20 prisoners in 2017 and over 1700 since 1976. I'll leave it up to you to decide how advanced certain state systems are in the United States.

As for a minor being tried as an adult, I'd personally consider that as an example of an advanced system because it's adjudged on an individual basis. Historic legal systems alternated between imposing no criminal liability on children and minors and treating them as adults outright, both of which, I believe, are inherently unjust.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ceegee

Old enough to know right from wrong, but still young enough to have his crimes considered, by virtually every advanced democratic legal system in the world, to be qualitatively different from those of an adult.

He also broke someones jaw in an unprovoked attack when he was 21, but got off any criminal charges because he paid off the victim. He was already a successful musician at that time so can't really blame his surroundings

His being a scumbag wasn't an isolated incident or just down to him being a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

That ain’t a knife, THIS is a knife!

Classic Mel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Mel Gibson could probably punch my mother in the face and id still thing he was a fairly cool guy. :pac:

ceegee wrote: »
    He also broke someones jaw in an unprovoked attack when he was 21, but got off any criminal charges because he paid off the victim. He was already a successful musician at that time so can't really blame his surroundings

His being a scumbag wasn't an isolated incident or just down to him being a kid.

That's fair enough.

I don't know how I ended up in a position where I seem to be defending Marky Mark's track-record. I'm not. I couldn't care less about him as an individual. I may as well re-state my reasons for entering this discussion, even if only to clarify to myself why I'm still here, both chasing and throwing red herrings.

brainfreeze objected to the author of the article focusing on Gibson instead of Wahlberg, who he/she felt was guilty of even worse offences. However the 'theme' of the article, if that's not giving it too much credit, was that of the public too quickly forgetting about the immoral and/or criminal behaviour of stars, precisely because they're stars.

In that context focusing on Wahlberg struck me as odd because his offences were committed when he was a teenager, long before he became the person most people know him as today. He doesn't 'fit' into the general thrust of the article. If the article was saying 'look at these famous faces that think they're great, well they're not and here's why' well then fair enough. It would make for an ugly article but at least it would have some rationale or consistency. But brainfreeze wanted the article to be about Wahlberg because, well... just because. Just dig up some old news and absolutely excoriate someone with it for no reason other than 'just because'.

Other sub-issues tickled my nose such as the idea of someone being perpetually labelled a scum-bag because of a crime committed long ago, especially a crime committed at such a young age. I believe in the power of forgiveness and the possibility of redeeming yourself through good works and a better life. You have to allow people to move on with their lives and dig themselves out of a hole.

Anyway, that's how I ended up here in my first ever Boards.ie discussion. I hope they're not all this bizarre.

• Advertisement

The biggest crime here (which hasn't been long discussed and punished in some form) is that Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg have made a sequel to fúcking Daddy's Home, and not The Other Guys.

The Indo piece is a distraction to take our attention away from this. Wake up sheeple.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Braveheart is an utterly atrocious film and he's a proven racist, anti Semite and wife beater...spot on

Weepsie wrote: »
    Braveheart is an utterly atrocious film

He's an excellent director of action scenes. Some of the chase sequences in Apocolypto are masterfully put together.

Braveheart is egregiously inaccurate, sentimental and hasn't aged awfully well, but it's not a poorly directed film.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,656 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Great actor though - just saying!

The year of living dangerously + tequila sunrise are 2 of my favourite films.

Tequila Sunrise is very underrated and Mel is hot as f&ck in it

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

MysticMonk wrote: »
    Fcuck the Indo..a load of marxist claptrap.

I never thought I'd live to see the day when the Indo is referred to as "Marxist". Claptrap it is, a hotbed of leftist ideals it ain't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Great guy, great guy... What was that thing he said to his ex again? Something about her being embarrassing or something?

"You're an embarrassment to me. You look like a f**king bitch in heat, and if you get raped by a pack of n***ers, it will be your fault."

Ah yes, that was it. Anyway, top bloke. What a lad... always joking around. Glad to see he has his defenders on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

RayM wrote: »
    Great guy, great guy... What was that thing he said to his ex again? Something about her being embarrassing or something?

"You're an embarrassment to me. You look like a f**king bitch in heat, and if you get raped by a pack of n***ers, it will be your fault."

Ah yes, that was it. Anyway, top bloke. What a lad... always joking around. Glad to see he has his defenders on here.

I don't think anyone said he was a "top bloke". As said previously, what he did on more than one occasion was disgusting, an abusive alcoholic let run riot. Gibson though at least paid for his sins unlike some certain others and, as far as we know, kept his nose clean for a long time. So while I don't like the bloke, I don't begrudge him putting the pieces of his career back together.

Not like anyone on here though to come barging In, skim through the thread to find one or two things to suit their outrage, and duly get on one's high horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I don't think anyone said he was a "top bloke". As said previously, what he did on more than one occasion was disgusting, an abusive alcoholic let run riot. Gibson though at least paid for his sins unlike some certain others and, as far as we know, kept his nose clean for a long time. So while I don't like the bloke, I don't begrudge him putting the pieces of his career back together.

Not like anyone on here though to come barging In, skim through the thread to find one or two things to suit their outrage, and duly get on one's high horse.

Hey, you know when a poster who keys cars thinks you're a bad dude, that means ... you're a bad dude!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

jonon9 wrote: »
    this is AFTER HOURS, your gonna get your mickey pulled.

We'll, here's hoping...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

MG is just one of those movie stars.
    Between Lethal Weapon and Mad Max alone he has a **** tonne of fans who just love him.
    Human nature is such that people don’t give a damn really if he ate his own granny, they just love MG.
    I see this morning Sylvester Stallone is being added to the list of the shameful.
    SS is similar to MG.
    A proper movie star and a hero to many.
    No one liked Kevin Spacey anyway.
    Oh he’s a great actor, but not held in anything like the admiration that the likes of these other 2 are.
    It’s long past the time that people in power are being brought to heel for abusing that power, but it’s stupid to think that human nature can be changed when it comes to who we love.
    Where is the hatred for Jimmy Page and the rest of LED Zeppelin etc.?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I never thought I'd live to see the day when the Indo is referred to as "Marxist". Claptrap it is, a hotbed of leftist ideals it ain't.

Every media outlet in Ireland is a hotbed of marxism according to some posters on here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

RayM wrote: »

If everyone of us was filmed or had a recording mic on them none of us would come out of it squeeky clean. Some people just like to think they are angels, it's not how the world works.

Weepsie wrote: »

Braveheart is an utterly atrocious film and he's a proven racist, anti Semite and wife beater...spot on
    What a load of absolute nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Prune Tracy

If everyone of us was filmed or had a recording mic on them none of us would come out of it squeeky clean. Some people just like to think they are angels, it's not how the world works.
    Yeah everyone is really a domestic abuser.

Nobody whatsoever said everyone is squeaky clean or that they're angels - but there are varying degrees of wrongdoing. A huge spectrum actually.

Yeah everyone is really a domestic abuser.

Nobody whatsoever said everyone is squeaky clean or that they're angels - but there are varying degrees of wrongdoing. A huge spectrum actually.
    I wasn't talking about the domestic abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Him and Antonio Banderas were about the only decent thing about Expendables 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Mel produces a lot of cognitive dissonance in me.

On one hand: He's clearly a lunatic.

On the other hand: He's made or starred in a lot of classic movies and he's a first-rate director of action and blood and guts spilling carnage - seriously the man has got skills, formidable skills in this department; the action sequences in Braveheart, Apocalyptco and Hacksaw Ridge are amazing, far far better than just something just churned out by a famous actor lucky enough to get behind the camera. The politics in those movies might be profoundly dodgy, but I have to admire his craft. And he has so much charisma - Jesus Christ! In his current iteration as the ghost of Mel Gibson past, turning up in dreck such as Daddy's Home 2 or enjoyably trashy b-movies like Blood Father, he's just so watchable - he's clearly a 100% bona-fide movie star slumming it in thrash.

But he's a lunatic.

So Mel is a crazy guy who has done some awful, awful things - I don't think I like him very much. But I also kind of love him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭storker

Arghus wrote: »
    Mel produces a lot of cognitive dissonance in me.

On one hand: He's clearly a lunatic.[...] But I also kind of love him.

I've resolved that with regard to him and others like him whose work I enjoy. I also think he's a good director and not a bad actor either. Yes, off-camera he gives every appearance of a complete jerk, to put it kindly. But here's the thing: I will never have to direct him, star with him, work with him, work for him, date him, live with him or marry him, drive him, serve him food or drink or bear him children.

So I don't care. Note: that's not "I don't care I still think hes brilliant" it's "I don't care that he's obviously a jerk" because it doesn't affect me. If others decline to cast him on movies because of his behaviour, I don't care about that either, I'd still enjoy his existing work. Except Lethal Weapon. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Mel Gibson could probably punch my mother in the face and id still thing he was a fairly cool guy. :pac:

If that mother was Katie Hopkins I personally think it'd make up for a lot of his past indiscretions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

I always wonder with these type of articles, how to the writers pick their targets? There is nothing wrong with a moral outrage hit piece every now again, however the article starts with:

Mark Wahlberg has done far worse things than Mel Gibson. What makes Mel Gibson special and Mark Wahlberg normal? Why did she choose one over the other?

Mel Gibson has said racist things, Mark Wahlberg has committed racial violence, even blinding a man for simply being Vietnamese.

Why is Mark, the far more violent man, more forgivable than Mel?

Answer: The Journalist doesn't know enough about either subject. Her gaps on Gibson are even acknowledged in the article - she probably has no idea about Wahlberg. This is not journalism, this is a badly researched rant created to capitalize on your emotions. This is the standard of a blog post.

Wahlberg made significant efforts in recent years to atone for it. He went out of his way to apologise to the Vietnamese man. The man had lost his eye in the Vietnam war, Wahlberg was under the impression that he blinded him. He was 16 years of age and has shown clear remorse for his behaviour. He had a highly trouble background however I am under the impression that he genuinely feels terrible about his behaviour in the past.

Meanwhile Polanski, Gibson et al were fully grown adults they perpetrated terrible acts and pretty much got away scott free. Polanski a rapist of numerous women by the looks of things. Gibson engaging in domestic abuse and he's not the only one, you've got Depp as well. Although Gibson did get somewhat of a blacklisting and perhaps he has reformed but I have very little time for him. Being a drunk isn't an excuse to abuse.

Advertisement