Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irishman jailed 18 months for smuggling rhino horns

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Should have got much longer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

These are precious endangered species id like to see him locked up for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Synthol wrote: »
    Intentionally? No. If some piece of string is has a piece of wool then yes but that is not direct support of slaughter. When you eat meat you know that you are directly supporting the suffering and death of animals because animals need to be slaughtered to obtain meat, veganism is doing reasonable and easy to follow steps not some ridiculous impossible to follow principle.

Congrats on the vegan highjack of the thread. I've no problem with anyone who choses not to eat meat but I can't stand the overwhelming stench of sanctimony from the preaching ...

Animals have been eating other animals since the first unicellular organism flagilated itself across its pond of primordial ooze to predate on whatever was looking tasty. Humans are animals as well and no matter what rubbish we may believe we are not separate from nature. Wild animals experience and partake in what you refer to as "suffering" and death of animals because other animals also kill each other to obtain nutrients and energy.

Animals eat other animals as part of nature's inherent entropy where nutrients are recycled by one species eating another. We may have invented the atom bomb and the combustion engine we remain biologically the same as other animal species.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Considering the ridiculously over the top jail sentences some people receive in America for what many would consider "lesser" crimes, 18 months seems unduly lenient. One of the articles in the OP states that this is the second time in 6 years he was on trial for the same thing. 18 years would have been a more fitting sentence and a proper deterrent to others who might have been thinking of getting involved in such an appalling trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    You use nothing derived from animals I take it?

He definitely seems to use a lot of bovine byproduct, such as bullsh1t..

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

This would fit in well in the great/dumb facebook posts thread.

https://www.facebook.com/joe.moore.940/posts/1708249682527022

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭Synthol

Plastic bags, perfume cologne, tooth paste, confectionery, shampoo conditioner. Lot of stuff to give up if you wish avoid animal products . Probably even animal by products in the device you are using to post your comments with. Ah vegans if ever a group of people could do with a Big Mac and fries it's them.

I don't use the things you mention. I do everything that is reasonable and possible to avoid using any products with any relation to animals.

gozunda wrote: »
    Congrats on the vegan highjack of the thread. I've no problem with anyone who choses not to eat meat but I can't stand the overwhelming stench of sanctimony from the preaching ...

Animals have been eating other animals since the first unicellular organism flagilated itself across its pond of primordial ooze to predate on whatever was looking tasty. Humans are animals as well and no matter what rubbish we may believe we are not separate from nature. Wild animals experience and partake in what you refer to as "suffering" and death of animals because other animals also kill each other to obtain nutrients and energy.

Animals eat other animals as part of nature's inherent entropy where nutrients are recycled by one species eating another. We may have invented the atom bomb and the combustion engine we remain biologically the same as other animal species.

Yeah but human overpopulation is not natural. I agree that humans are animals but they have no right to overpopulate the world and destroy everything in nature.

He definitely seems to use a lot of bovine byproduct, such as bullsh1t..

When you realise that you have lost an argument, you resort to insults.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

CAB should be hitting these ****ers big time.

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    Considering the ridiculously over the top jail sentences some people receive in America for what many would consider "lesser" crimes, 18 months seems unduly lenient. One of the articles in the OP states that this is the second time in 6 years he was on trial for the same thing. 18 years would have been a more fitting sentence and a proper deterrent to others who might have been thinking of getting involved in such an appalling trade.

18 years?

Ah seriously...come off it.

Yeah but human overpopulation is not natural. I agree that humans are animals but they have no right to overpopulate the world and destroy everything in nature.

Yeah well tell prople to stop breeding then. We remain the dominant species. Dinosaurs were before they were wiped out. We are already past the point of return as to excessive population. Whether we live in tents and chew twigs it's not going to make any significant difference at this stage. When we go the same way - the earth will happily carry on. In the meantime I'm happy for scrotes to be prosecuted for being scrotes and to try and protect species in danger of extinction. Their descendants might do a better job than we have. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

This would fit in well in the great/dumb facebook posts thread.

https://www.facebook.com/joe.moore.940/posts/1708249682527022

Lol, comparing Rathkeale travellers to the Black Panthers.

18 years?

Ah seriously...come off it.

Well what do you think is an appropriate sentence for someone involved in endangering the survival of an entire species?

Zaph wrote: »
    Well what do you think is an appropriate sentence for someone involved in endangering the survival of an entire species?

I think prison sentence is a good idea for eating any kind of meat, off to the jail Mr. Zaph.

I think prison sentence is a good idea for eating any kind of meat, off to the jail Mr. Zaph.

Well you better start locking up all meat eating predators including wolves, foxes, cayotes, lions, killer whales etc etc - you're going to require a pretty big enclosure ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

This is why nobody takes vegans seriously. I'm all for protecting animals and preventing cruelty but the way you go about it is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Just another example of their wonderful culture being spread around the world.

Surely up there with Joyce, Beckett and Yeats at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,106 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Eating meat - it's our culture.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Synthol wrote:

'Sometimes it is better to have people think you a fool, than open ones mouth and remove all doubt'.

Don't know whom to attribute that to but it seems quite an apt response.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Just another example of their wonderful culture being spread around the world.

They're well got in Australia, regularly hear of them being singled out for attention.. I mean praise.

'Sometimes it is better to have people think you a fool, than open ones mouth and remove all doubt'.

Don't know whom to attribute that to but it seems quite an apt response.

Exactly Hitman3000

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

This thread reminds me of the old joke

How can you tell if someone is vegan?
    They'll tell you. At every opportunity they'll tell you.

They're well got in Australia, regularly hear of them being singled out for attention.. I mean praise.

What? Vegans- yeah they go down real well in Australia ....:pac:

You see there's your first mistake right there. Thinking.

Advertisement