Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irishman jailed 18 months for smuggling rhino horns

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

After the campaign to gain his freedom, will he be on the late late.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 148 ✭✭PantsBliz

After the campaign to gain his freedom, will he be on the late late.
    Rathkeale Rovers v RTE FC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

I should have got 18 years for trying to smuggle my massive horn into any country

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Anyone that aides and abetted the slaughtering of an endangered species deserves to get the book thrown at them.

No sympathy for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

He wasn’t smuggling rhino horns.

He was on his holidays, about to go to the cinema when he caught caught up in a peaceful protest by the rhinos. Those horns were just resting in his suitcase.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

I hope he is introduced to a horn from a different species during his incarceration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Don't think he's Islamic enough for his crimes to be overlooked in this country tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Toss him in the swamps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭circadian

I should have got 18 years for trying to smuggle my massive horn into any country

Can't think of any countries that won't let you bring a trombone.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

'Man with Limerick links' as described by the Limerick Leader (he'd be described as a stalwart Limerick native if he'd actually WON something)
    Seems it was a small cup made from Rhino Horn.

'I mean, 'tis only an aul Holy Grail... I found it under a holy stump back in the auld country boss!'

Jeez, even an Egyptian Court would believe that yarn!

When does the hunger strike start?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    He wasn’t smuggling rhino horns.

He was on his holidays, about to go to the cinema when he caught caught up in a peaceful protest by the rhinos. Those horns were just resting in his suitcase.

Rhino ate his passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

The rhino is an endangered species which needs all the protection it can get good to see the law being enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

throw away the key

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Generators are a gateway to rhino horns, ban all sales of generators

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Don't people grind rhino horn and sort to... Ironically get the horn?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Mutant z wrote: »
    The rhino is an endangered species which needs all the protection it can get good to see the law being enforced.
    Yes, The Rhino family are in genuine trouble.

The Western Black Rhino has already been lost, declared extinct in 2011, poached out of existence .

While the Eastern Black is on the crtically endangered list and expected to go in the next decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

PantsBliz wrote: »
    Of the famous Rathkeale Rovers, Michael Hegarty has been wanted by the FBI for years.
    He's been sentenced to 18 months in a Florida prison for trafficking a rhino horn.

Tom Humphries must be thanking his lucky stars he wasn't tried in Florida....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Why, are you a paedo or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Gary Glitter wasn't so lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Ah the old Rathkeale Roovers at it again ...

https://amp.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/rathkeale-rovers-gang-members-jailed-over-multimillion-euro-rhino-horn-spree-34597780.html[/url]

"The conspiracy spanned England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Irish Republic, references were made to France - the Cherbourg visit, Hong Kong and also the United States and Germany, also featured in the evidence the court heard over the three trials."

Quite a bit of travelling there tbh ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Has Martin Collins issued a statement yet.?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭Synthol

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    Anyone that aides and abetted the slaughtering of an endangered species deserves to get the book thrown at them.

No sympathy for him.

And no sympathy for you for eating meat, but I guess it's ok to directly support the suffering and death of animals as long as they are not endangered.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Synthol wrote: »
    And no sympathy for you for eating meat, but I guess it's ok to directly support the suffering and death of animals as long as they are not endangered.

That escalated quickly.

Synthol wrote:

You use nothing derived from animals I take it?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,879 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

He was caught red handed with a raging horn.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,176 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Good. They should have shoved one of them all the way up his arse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭Synthol

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    You use nothing derived from animals I take it?

Intentionally? No. If some piece of string is has a piece of wool then yes but that is not direct support of slaughter. When you eat meat you know that you are directly supporting the suffering and death of animals because animals need to be slaughtered to obtain meat, veganism is doing reasonable and easy to follow steps not some ridiculous impossible to follow principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Intentionally? No. If some piece of string is has a piece of wool then yes but that is not direct support of slaughter. When you eat meat you know that you are directly supporting the suffering and death of animals because animals need to be slaughtered to obtain meat, veganism is doing reasonable and easy to follow steps not some ridiculous impossible to follow principle.

I think you're flogging a dead horse with that one. :D

Synthol wrote:

Plastic bags, perfume cologne, tooth paste, confectionery, shampoo conditioner. Lot of stuff to give up if you wish avoid animal products . Probably even animal by products in the device you are using to post your comments with. Ah vegans if ever a group of people could do with a Big Mac and fries it's them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

You don't have to kill sheep to get wool off them??

But you are correct to point to the cruelty and wrongness of what happens at slaughtering plants :)

Advertisement