Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oh nos... Humans fixing god's mistakes... Where will it end?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,741 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I listened to a TED speech a few years ago. The belief is we aren’t far off from living as old as Methuselah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

RobertKK wrote: »
    I listened to a TED speech a few years ago. The belief is we aren’t far off from living as old as Methuselah.

Think I saw that, talk given by a Jesus looking lad?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,741 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

s15r330 wrote: »
    Think I saw that, talk given by a Jesus looking lad?

Well I heard it on the radio, so God knows whether he looked likes his son.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

MrPudding wrote: »
    This could be a massively important step in the treatment of all kinds of diseases. Of course, it could all go a bit 28 Days Later...

Thoughts?

MrP

1) How do epigenetics and gene interaction networks factor into gene editing tech?
    2) Editing an already developed phenotype sounds problematic. As I understand it, alleles express themselves in a context i.e. organismal development. Surely the tech will have to be very targeted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Very tricky situation. Everyone living forever and continuing to reproduce will not work..and that will be obvious very quickly..
    But theres also no argument to force people to let themselves die if theres technology to allow you to live on

• Advertisement

wakka12 wrote: »
    Very tricky situation. Everyone living forever and continuing to reproduce will not work..and that will be obvious very quickly..
    But theres also no argument to force people to let themselves die if theres technology to allow you to live on

if-you-jump-the-gun-and-it-jumps-you-back-8499437.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Self referential much? Or have you a point to make any time soon?

Sure. That slipping in accusations that a poster suffers from autism or schizophrenia is pretty low.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭valoren

The best thing about extending life expectancy will be for interstellar travel.
    Where generations will have lived and died without stepping on land.

c_man wrote: »
    Sure. That slipping in accusations that a poster suffers from autism or schizophrenia is pretty low.

Where did he do that? And if he did maybe the suffering poster would thank him, identifying a debilitating condition, he never considered before.

I accuse you... ...of having a cold.

valoren wrote: »
    The best thing about extending life expectancy will be for interstellar travel.
    Where generations will have been born and died without stepping on land.

Wtff? How are people getting from gene editing to radical life extension? Calm down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

c_man wrote: »

I am not sure the word accusation applies. Rather a valid point for genuine consideration. So it seems the source of the problem in my post actually lies with YOUR reading of it. Which is somewhat what I expected from your first non-reply to it.

Bees do get in bonnets.

Advertisement