Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oh nos... Humans fixing god's mistakes... Where will it end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,243 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

We;re all going to live to be 200 years old. There's plenty of resources and the next generation will be overjoyed at funding our pensions.

Be grand.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I'll have eyes that that don't deteriorate, increased physical strength & stamina and a battered sausage please.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Be fantastic if it works and can be used reliably.

Be a while before it progresses past treatment for very serious diseases due to the risk involved, the effects of editing the wrong piece of DNA could be very dangerous. But if you already have a lethal disease, I imagine that's a risk people will be willing to take.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

C'mon Radioactive Spider genes.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I'll have eyes that that don't deteriorate, increased physical strength & stamina and a battered sausage please.

Battered sausage. Painful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

It would be better if the current crops of humans stayed alive instead of bringing in a new batch that have to learn and make all the same mistakes as the ones before them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,861 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

There is no “god”.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Be fantastic if it works and can be used reliably.

Be a while before it progresses past treatment for very serious diseases due to the risk involved, the effects of editing the wrong piece of DNA could be very dangerous. But if you already have a lethal disease, I imagine that's a risk people will be willing to take.

Yes, this was actually mentioned in the article. Some previous attempts randomly inserted the new gene, leading to unforeseen side effects. This particular method allows a precise cut and paste.

This could be amazing.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭brevity

Is this like Crispr?

brevity wrote: »
    Is this like Crispr?

From the article:
    The gene-editing tool Crispr-Cas9 has had a lot of recent attention, but this study used a different tool called zinc finger nucleases. They work like molecular scissors that seek and cut a specific piece of DNA.

The therapy has three parts: the new gene and two zinc finger proteins. DNA instructions for each part are placed in a virus that has been altered to not cause infection but instead to ferry them into cells. Billions of copies of these are given to the patient intravenously.

They travel to the liver, where cells use the instructions to make the zinc fingers and prepare the corrective gene. The fingers cut the DNA, allowing the new gene to slip in. The new gene then directs the cell to make the enzyme the patient lacked.

Assumed it would be CRISPR when I opened it up myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

It's fine because even though God doesn't exist, He is all powerful and is making this happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Zebra3 wrote:
    There is no “godâ€.

Beat me to it

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭GritBiscuit

They work like molecular scissors that seek and cut a specific piece of DNA

So, cutting out a defective gene sequence and inserting a healthy one - replicated in every cell. That sounds like a mammoth ask but would be a fantastic leap forward in treatment of genetic conditions.
    RayM wrote: »
    It's fine because even though God doesn't exist, He is all powerful and is making this happen.

He made free will which created atheists and he made these scientists so is making all this happen regardless. Anyway, he doesn't make mistakes - it's all a punishment for touching yourself...or something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Zebra3 wrote: »
    There is no “god”.

"Edgy" :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Its a great idea to help eliminate diseases or painful human genetic traits.

Just need to make sure we dont go down the path of Eugenics and end up create a style of 'superhuman' that looks down on other humans, like Star Treks Augments.

Just need to make sure we dont go down the path of Eugenics and end up create a style of 'superhuman' that looks down on other humans, like Star Treks Augments.

Yeah.....cos they don't exist already

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

"Edgy" :cool:

Super cool these guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Yeah the concern with this type of thing is that it'll for a long time only be available to the 1% and will create more of a division. Without augmentation or becoming superhuman, just the ability to remain as a young adult for years and years will make them superhuman enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

People need to not overhype what this is. Better eyes, stronger limbs, smarter brains, are not achievable with this kind of technology.

It "fixes" DNA in the hope that as your body regenerates itself, the new cells will contains the fixed DNA and the symptoms of the broken DNA will go away over time.

In this case, the guy's body doesn't produce enough of a specific enzyme because his cells lack the DNA to express it. This has a cumulative effect that results in abnormal growth and a requirement to take supplements of the enzyme to stay alive.

By getting this therapy the hope is that his cells will now be able to express this enzyme, and therefore as more and more of the target cells are regenerated with the "right" DNA, his body will express more and more of this enzyme until he no longer needs supplements.

But that's it. The cumulative damage will remain; he won't suddenly grow to six feet tall, become an olympic sprinter or a swimwear model. And he probably won't see any increase in life expectancy. And any children he may have in future probably won't inherit the "fix".

That's all we can really do with this. Once someone has reached adulthood, a lot of the cells in the body replace themselves very slowly, if at all. So any kind of DNA splicing or gene therapy will be of little benefit.

It may be incredibly useful on children though, since they grow so quickly and continuously, the earlier you engage this kind of therapy the greater chance you have of permanently eradicate the disease.

Epidermolysis bullosa ("Butterfly children") would be a prime candidate for this kind of therapy when we've gathered enough data from adults to make it work more reliably. At the rate children regenerate skin, one of these kids could have the disease completely eradicated; permanently; inside of six months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

MrPudding wrote: »
    This could be a massively important step in the treatment of all kinds of diseases. Of course, it could all go a bit 28 Days Later...

Thoughts?

MrP

Odd thread title since God doesn't exist( in your book).

Its Interesting how you can blame a work of fiction!
    I blame evolution ( if evolution can be held responsible)

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Epidermolysis bullosa ("Butterfly children") would be a prime candidate for this kind of therapy when we've gathered enough data from adults to make it work more reliably. At the rate children regenerate skin, one of these kids could have the disease completely eradicated; permanently; inside of six months.

Have you seen this?

https://www.nature.com/articles/nature24487

The gene editing was done in vitro and then transplanted. But still incredible stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Great news, hopefully neck-beardism can be cured and properly treated within our lifetimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

If they're called the umbrella corporation, I'm getting a gun

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Have you seen this?

https://www.nature.com/articles/nature24487

The gene editing was done in vitro and then transplanted. But still incredible stuff.
    Wonderful. I understand they'd similarly grown small gene-altered skin grafts and attached them to severe cases. The grafts take and remain stable, but don't really "spread" to the rest of the cells.

The above seems to be stem cell modification which is far more effective, and brilliant.

There is good reason to tread very carefully though. A couple of very early trials resulted in (not unexpected) autoimmune disorders where the body's defences went haywire and aggressively attacked itself in an unstoppable chain reaction. Pretty nasty way to die.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Bitches Be Trypsin

It has been trialed before and was successful in pigs with CF. Gene therapy is an interest of mine and I'd say it's where treatment for many diseases will be in the next 100 years. However it poses many risks, is not entirely understood, and has ethical questions too.

seamus wrote: »
    Wonderful. I understand they'd similarly grown small gene-altered skin grafts and attached them to severe cases. The grafts take and remain stable, but don't really "spread" to the rest of the cells.

The above seems to be stem cell modification which is far more effective, and brilliant.

There is good reason to tread very carefully though. A couple of very early trials resulted in (not unexpected) autoimmune disorders where the body's defences went haywire and aggressively attacked itself in an unstoppable chain reaction. Pretty nasty way to die.

The hope is because the stem cells were generated from the patients own skin, auto-immune problems can be avoided. Can only wait and see how this one goes I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Zebra3 wrote: »
    There is no “god”.

You've gone a little weird of late.

I saw you weren't in the church last Sunday morning either. It was noted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Odd thread title since God doesn't exist( in your book).

Its Interesting how you can blame a work of fiction!
    I blame evolution ( if evolution can be held responsible)

Jeeze get over it. I don't believe in the existence of gods, I do believe in the existence of sarcasm.

Not sure if it is evolution to blame or simply mutation. I suppose evolution have "allowed" the mutation to survive, so maybe it is to blame...

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

It is very hard to argue against some one wanting to keep their mother,father , sibling or child alive and healthy for as long as possible.
    I know I would give anything for my grand mother to be alive for another year

But look at the bigger picture.
    The earth is already hugely over populated and getting more so .
    The last thing we need is to keep people alive longer.
    All the while Wars Or famines etc happen to keep the numbers down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

It is very hard to argue against some one wanting to keep their mother,father , sibling or child alive and healthy for as long as possible.
    I know I would give anything for my grand mother to be alive for another year

But look at the bigger picture.
    The earth is already hugely over populated and getting more so .
    The last thing we need is to keep people alive longer.
    All the while Wars Or famines etc happen to keep the numbers down

Advertisement