Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zimbabwe Coup

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

I like how people in this country can be so strongly opinionated and passionate about things going on in completely different worlds because of what they read.

"Good for you", as the good doctor would say.

Why do you"like" it, why are you presuming to know anything about anyone who posts on the internet.

He's "resigned", well to be honest it needed a really big push to get him to do that, did he actually write the letter or did be just sign it.
    I wonder if he thinks that he is still in power?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I like how people in this country can be so strongly opinionated and passionate about things going on in completely different worlds because of what they read.

Let me guess. You really get it and everyone else doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

Old Bob was promised the freedom of Dublin if he went quietly.

8q6lDi2.jpg

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105334684&postcount=5319
    May be a joke, but it's probably a lot closer to the truth than many can imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

Mugabe did great work. I have a lot of respect for him.

Mugabe did great work. I have a lot of respect for him.
    ???

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

Any room left on City Hall for the Zimbabwe Flag?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 470 ✭✭Joe Musashi

Thought they were all millionaires in Zimbabwe.

Thought they were all millionaires in Zimbabwe.
    They used to be multi billionaires for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Prune Tracy

imme wrote: »
    "Good for you", as the good doctor would say.

Why do you"like" it, why are you presuming to know anything about anyone who posts on the internet.
    It could be said about millions and millions of discussions online, but just this one gets selected for the craic.

They used to be multi billionaires for a while.

They had money to burn.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

???

He burned out descendants of colonial Dutch and British families from farms that were stolen generations ago. You might say the present people shouldn't suffer for the misdeeds of their ancestors, but they shouldn't benefit either.

It's time the descendants colonial families were eradicated from Africa and give Zimbabwe back to the Shona and other native people.

He burned out descendants of colonial Dutch and British families from farms that were stolen generations ago. You might say the present people shouldn't suffer for the misdeeds of their ancestors, but they shouldn't benefit either.

It's time the descendants colonial families were eradicated from Africa and give Zimbabwe back to the Shona and other native people.

I thoroughly agree, give control of Zimbabwe to Mugabe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Prune Tracy

What about the brutality he approved though? Against black people as well as white people. I have read some horrific testimonies... one involving a child. :(

What about the brutality he approved though? Against black people as well as white people. I have read some horrific testimonies... one involving a child. :(

Probably Whitey's fault. Who knows, maybe even Trumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Should this apply to all conquering/conquered nations? It might take a while to sort out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭Odhinn

that's not what he did though. He grabbed farms and forked them over to his cronies.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

He burned out descendants of colonial Dutch and British families from farms that were stolen generations ago.

And gave them to his cronies absolutely obliterating Zimbabwe’s agricultural economy.

You think that’s good for the people of Zimbabwe because........:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

And the country has gone from strength to strength from that point. Thrived actually. And wasn't at all a desperate attempt to hold onto power by stoking colonial hostility. He was ok with it until his power was threatened.

When you mean giving it back to the people, you mean awarding it to his most loyal henchmen to wreck...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Ipso wrote: »
    They had money to burn.

Zimbabwe_%24100_trillion_2009_Obverse.jpg

Drevil_million_dollars.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Chrongen wrote: »
    But why now? Why Zimbabwe and why is it on the news?

If there was such a change in say, Mali or Costa Rica or Mongolia or Papua (and there may well HAVE been) why was it not front page news?

How many changes have there been in Tanzania or Botswana or Mozambique and not a word?

Why Zimbabwe and why now?

Chxrst in a bucket. I know your fairly new to Boards - but the general idea is that you at least try to put forward some of your own ideas. Nobody expects the inquisition you know.
    Try it - you might get a better general response tbh ...

Its looks like Mugabe has left Zimbabwe and his former "comrade" Emmerson Mnangagwa has returned to replace him. This could be interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

Odhinn wrote: »
    that's not what he did though. He grabbed farms and forked them over to his cronies.

Note that the farm workers didn't gain anything from the change of ownership. They were kicked out as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,702 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Delighted for the Zimbabweans tat they got rid of there evil dictator. I wish them all the best for their future and hope that there new president does the good things he has promised and does not get greedy and evil. I think they are where we were 100 years ago. There country has huge resources and potential so could be great.

selous wrote: »

This article highlights just one of the issues with some African countries.

If you watched daytime tv (and I don't as a rule) you will be bombarded with begging adverts looking for people to cough significant amounts of cash (in the form of only €x each week) to provide basics for indigenous Africans. Ok nothing wrong with that. But. The images shown would lead you to believe:

The everyone on the African continent is piss poor

That the entire continent is only inhabited by women and children

That unless you cough up a considerable donation that the people shown will die / starve and it will be your fault and / or be on your conscience for ever.

Now I have travelled to a number of African countries and what struck me is that alongside the poverty - there is considerable ad serious wealth. And whilst I have not seen any gold plated Mercedes etc - I have encountered many many well off wealthy middle class families whose standard of living is on par with anything you would see here.

Now don't get me wrong and fair play to them - but bugger me if the charities don't half egg the notion that the entire continent doesn't have a bean between them.

In real life the continent of Africa has vast amounts of natural wealth in mining and natural resources. Yes much of this appears to vanish when required to meet the needs of natural disaster in terms of famine or drought. The above article highlights where at at least some of this vast wealth goes on Rolex watches, high end cars and tasteless bling and tat.

And yet time and time again the rest of the word is left to pick up the pieces. Why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Finally gone but received immunity from any future prosecution and security protection for what's left of his life

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Gatling wrote: »
    Finally gone but received immunity from any future prosecution and security protection for what's left of his life

The Pinochet, as one might call it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement