Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Research proposal

  • #1
    Registered Users Posts: 1,735 dar100


    Hi guys

    I've just seen a advertisement for a PhD fellowship. They have clear criteria for what they want, methodology, population and research question.

    I'm interested in doing this as the area is something I would enjoy, However, closing date is less than two weeks and a research proposal is required 1500 words.

    What is my best way to complete this, considering the area is new and I've no lit review


«1

Comments



  • dar100 wrote: »
    Hi guys

    I've just seen a advertisement for a PhD fellowship. They have clear criteria for what they want, methodology, population and research question.

    I'm interested in doing this as the area is something I would enjoy, However, closing date is less than two weeks and a research proposal is required 1500 words.

    What is my best way to complete this, considering the area is new and I've no lit review

    What is the topic?




  • dar100 wrote: »

    They have clear criteria for what they want, methodology, population and research question.
    Details? Research question?




  • I don't think this is something you can "throw together" in two weeks, unless you are very familiar with the area, the literature and, most importantly, the gaps in the research that you hope to fill.




  • The criteria for the research is all ready set out, they have their research question (to an extent) and the methodology they want used. There is only one previous report on the specific area, some international research.

    I've put something together today, so we see what happens, I've still to do methodology , I'm very week on statistical analysis so need to look into it




  • So is it a job application that you're looking to write?


  • Advertisement


  • sullivlo wrote: »
    So is it a job application that you're looking to write?

    Does it sound like one




  • Are you not doing a dip?




  • dar100 wrote: »
    Does it sound like one

    I don’t know what it sounds like, tbh. You’re a bit vague with the information so it’s hard to judge.




  • sullivlo wrote: »
    I don’t know what it sounds like, tbh. You’re a bit vague with the information so it’s hard to judge.

    My first post is quite clear. A PhD funded, the parameters of the research is all ready set out, they have their methodology and research question chosen. The population is static and access to them assured . One previous report done on the subject in question.

    I've written something up now anyway, nothing ventured and all that. Just to sort methodology.

    My main issue, is they want a characteristic assessed/measured. But no context given in so far as is it to be measured in relation to a wider research question etc. For example, we want the eye color of people assessed (not the case).

    The research proposal is 1500 words, 700 lit review, 500 methods.

    I am doing the dip,




  • dar100 wrote: »
    My first post is quite clear. A PhD funded, the parameters of the research is all ready set out, they have their methodology and research question chosen. The population is static and access to them assured . One previous report done on the subject in question.

    I've written something up now anyway, nothing ventured and all that. Just to sort methodology.

    My main issue, is they want a characteristic assessed/measured. But no context given in so far as is it to be measured in relation to a wider research question etc. For example, we want the eye color of people assessed (not the case).

    The research proposal is 1500 words, 700 lit review, 500 methods.

    I am doing the dip,

    Maybe I am missing something?! Because I can’t make sense of what you’re asking for advice on.

    They have advertised a position. They have their research question. They have their methodology.

    Do they want you to write a proposal of how you would perform the research? As in what methods you would use and how you would analyse the results?


  • Advertisement


  • sullivlo wrote: »
    Maybe I am missing something?! Because I can’t make sense of what you’re asking for advice on.

    They have advertised a position. They have their research question. They have their methodology.

    Do they want you to write a proposal of how you would perform the research? As in what methods you would use and how you would analyse the results?

    Basically, yes. My trouble last night when I initially made the post was having no literature. I've found some and written up a basic literature review, so I suppose my panic is over lol.

    I'm probably best finding someone I can physically sit down with to trash things out, to much gets lost over Internet, and I'm not helping the situation by not giving all the info.




  • dar100 wrote: »
    Basically, yes. My trouble last night when I initially made the post was having no literature. I've found some and written up a basic literature review, so I suppose my panic is over lol.

    I'm probably best finding someone I can physically sit down with to trash things out, to much gets lost over Internet, and I'm not helping the situation by not giving all the info.

    This :pac:

    People here have a vast wealth of experience. I’m sure if you want to post some details people can give you some pointers.

    A PhD is a very big commitment and something that shouldn’t be undertaken without serious thought. You would find it incredibly difficult to juggle a PhD and a dip. Having been through a PhD, there’s no way I could have done anything else simultaneously. And being in the throws of a dip, there simply would not be time to do a PhD on top of assignments and teaching.

    What draws you to the PhD? You need to get that point across in your application. Your passion for the topic has to show, and it has to set you apart from the other applicants. Everyone can write a lit review, so you need to make sure that your application stands out for the right reasons.




  • sullivlo wrote: »
    This :pac:

    People here have a vast wealth of experience. I’m sure if you want to post some details people can give you some pointers.

    A PhD is a very big commitment and something that shouldn’t be undertaken without serious thought. You would find it incredibly difficult to juggle a PhD and a dip. Having been through a PhD, there’s no way I could have done anything else simultaneously. And being in the throws of a dip, there simply would not be time to do a PhD on top of assignments and teaching.

    What draws you to the PhD? You need to get that point across in your application. Your passion for the topic has to show, and it has to set you apart from the other applicants. Everyone can write a lit review, so you need to make sure that your application stands out for the right reasons.

    Thanks for this. It's part time PhD and I don't plan on doing both at same time. Thanks for the tip on getting my passion for it across, I will work out how to get it into the proposal.




  • To be honest, attempting to reply to an RFP in only 2-weeks is extraordinarily ambitious. Back on task. These are only generic recommendations and fail to address your specific content needs.

    Survey research often suggests quantitative methods, although there are qualitative approaches, as well as multi-method with triangulation analysis.

    Typical survey research design outline (terribly brief and needs citations to justify each method used; plus I've probably forgotten a few things, but I'm very tired after a long day):
    • Statement of the problem
    • Background of the problem
    • Importance of problem (why is this problem important, and what policy and practice solutions may be obtained?)
    • Conceptual framework to guide research (developed from theory and literature review)
    • Research hypothesis (or hypotheses if more than one) from conceptual framework.
    • Type of research: Survey research; deductive from theory to hypotheses to empirical data collection and analysis.
    • Assumptions: About survey research, and conducting a parametric analysis of scaled survey data, etc.
    • Unit of analysis: Group (each location strata/sample)
    • Operationalisation of variables (Concepts from conceptual framework are measured by independent and dependent variables, the data being collected by survey items for each variable). Many variables and survey questionnaire items can be borrowed from other published research studies or survey handbooks, with citations.
    • Sampling: Random selection of a probability sample from each location. The sample size can be determined from a table with citation, rather than to compute each stat (I have such a table if interested).
    • Informed consent from both university IRB, authorities, and individual subjects
    • Pilot study (10 or more subjects used to test and revise the questionnaire; 30 subjects would be useful for parametric analysis)
    • Main study survey administered to each location strata/sample
    • Follow-up of additional copies of the survey to those subjects who fail to respond to first survey administration
    • 2nd follow-up with additional copies to those subjects not responding
    • 50% or more response rate to survey has been considered adequate for analysis purposes (i.e., 50% from each location strata/sample)
    • Sample validation techniques can be employed for responses falling below 50% by including 2-3 survey questionnaire items accordingly, but this must be done before data collection.
    • Data analysis first describing the measures of central tendency and dispersion for variables, demographics, etc., using tables and graphs.
    • Tests of significant differences between each location sample strata by demographics, and independent and dependent variables, etc. (e.g., t-tests and/or ANOVA).
    • Correlations between independent and dependent variables (e.g., Pearson r).
    • Regression analysis between independent and dependent variables (e.g., Simple linear regression; or multiple regression to assess variable interaction).
    • Conclusions, limitations, and suggestions for future research (outlined in proposal simply to say what happens after data collection and analysis)

    The above outline is oversimplified and needs specifics to address your particular research problem given in your RFP link. I will not address specifics here, but if you want to chat about this by PM, feel free to contact me.

    Cheers,
    Black Swan




  • A big thank you to Black Swan for the support and guidance with responding to the research proposal .

    I've completed it and ready to send it off




  • Best of luck dar100.




  • Once again, gratitude to Black Swan for the support. I have been short listed for interview:)




  • Congrats...hope it goes well.

    I suppose that this is justification for the "cramming" method...doing the most of work possible in the minimal amount of time possible gives the best outcome for time spent.... ;-)




  • dar100 wrote: »
    Once again, gratitude to Black Swan for the support. I have been short listed for interview:)
    Short listed is grand! Best of luck during your interview dar100.




  • Black Swan wrote: »
    Short listed is grand! Best of luck during your interview dar100.

    dar100: You got pretty far to be short-listed for your proposal and interviewed. Outcome?


  • Advertisement


  • Black Swan wrote: »
    dar100: You got pretty far to be short-listed for your proposal and interviewed. Outcome?

    Hey happy New Year, hope you had a good Christmas. I haven't heard from them. I'm assuming I didn't get it; an acknowledgement even to say unlucky would have been nice. I did go to some effort...

    Looks like il have to pay for one at some point:)




  • dar100 wrote: »
    Hey happy New Year, hope you had a good Christmas. I haven't heard from them. I'm assuming I didn't get it; an acknowledgement even to say unlucky would have been nice. I did go to some effort...

    Looks like il have to pay for one at some point:)
    Be patient dar100. I would think they will reply to your proposal. The Xmas thru NYD holidays bring most universities to a stand still. We are just beginning to show signs of life mid-week at ours.




  • Black Swan wrote: »
    Be patient dar100. I would think they will reply to your proposal. The Xmas thru NYD holidays bring most universities to a stand still. We are just beginning to show signs of life mid-week at ours.

    Schools and colleges etc aren't back till the 8th over here, so we'll see...




  • Well done dar. Even if you're not successful in this case, the work you've put in to the proposal can be put to other uses. You can develop it further to apply for the PhD scholarship funding from the likes of the Irish Research Council, Science Foundation Ireland, the Health Research Board or smaller discipline-specific funders.




  • Kurtosis wrote: »
    Well done dar. Even if you're not successful in this case, the work you've put in to the proposal can be put to other uses. You can develop it further to apply for the PhD scholarship funding from the likes of the Irish Research Council, Science Foundation Ireland, the Health Research Board or smaller discipline-specific funders.

    Are those funded PhD's not all full time? I'd be looking for one part time so I can also work.

    Thanks




  • dar100 wrote: »
    Are those funded PhD's not all full time? I'd be looking for one part time so I can also work.

    Thanks

    The majority of funding streams would be for full time, although there are some exceptions. I believe the IRC have an employment-based stream for example. On mobile at the moment but will try post details of it tomorrow.




  • This is the Employment-Based Programme from the IRC I referred to which may be of interest. Applications for it open soon and close in March. It's worth looking up other research funders to identify funding streams that might be suitable for your situation, and to weigh up alternative options to a funded part-time PhD (which are not all that common) e.g. whether you would self-fund a part-time PhD while working or to do a full-time PhD which more funding may be available for.




  • dar100 wrote: »
    Are those funded PhD's not all full time? I'd be looking for one part time so I can also work.

    Thanks

    What is your field of study? And would it compliment your work?




  • Kurtosis wrote: »
    This is the Employment-Based Programme from the IRC I referred to which may be of interest. Applications for it open soon and close in March. It's worth looking up other research funders to identify funding streams that might be suitable for your situation, and to weigh up alternative options to a funded part-time PhD (which are not all that common) e.g. whether you would self-fund a part-time PhD while working or to do a full-time PhD which more funding may be available for.

    cheers, I've came across this before. Does the partner agency have to be a higher education institute?


  • Advertisement


  • sullivlo wrote: »
    What is your field of study? And would it compliment your work?

    Non-profit sector, broadly. Social care type work. Yes it would compliment work


Advertisement