Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord of the Rings - [Amazon] *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

milehip wrote: »
    Chill Jeff Karmas' not real anyways. Go shine your space helmet again.
    (Not a euphemism)

Why are you telling me to chill and not the guy (who actually brought karma into the conversation) who wants people to come to harm?

I’m not the one who needs to chill.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭milehip

I’m not the one who needs to chill.

If you say so.

milehip wrote: »
    If you say so.

I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

:rolleyes:

Anyway, have they announced a composer for this yet? Shore's scores for the LOTR trilogy were a major part of why I enjoyed them.

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Anyway, have they announced a composer for this yet? Shore's scores for the LOTR trilogy were a major part of why I enjoyed them.

Same here.

Is the show still expected to be ready for release this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

The money involved is simply mindboggling. And, while it's likely to be popular, it's not a guaranteed hit.

It won't grab the mainstream audience that the original trilogy did as so many people were exasperated by the overblown hobbit trilogy. People swarmed to see TLoTR trilogy in the cinema because it was a breath of fresh air.

Game of Thrones came out and the mainstream audience flocked to it because, to many, it was also something different and new (Although, in fairness, for regular fantasy series readers, every trope was there in effect: Lowly bastard/stableboy/orphan who is the rightful heir; beautiful elf queen/dragon lady who looks to be about the same age as said heir; Wise and/or drunken mentor/dwarf; Bad-ass ninja; Bad ass girl,; Ice/Fire warriors; Klingons :) All they were missing was a wizard and it was a tad more violent than most)

But they have to be careful with the tone: They cannot go down the Thrones tone of sex and violence and attempting to appeal to a more "Mature" audience. But they also cannot go too wishy washy to appeal to more strictive audience regions/demographics. I believe they got the tone perfect in the original movie trilogy.

And you know that so many other projects depend on this success. I know Wheel of Time is in production at the moment but it seems that every fantasy series was bought up in a feeding frenzy a couple of years ago: The Magician series (Again, even lighter in tone than Rings), Was Stormlight Archives snapped up too?

As for release date: Unless they are totally finished with filming, I cannot imagine it will be out this year. Think of the post-production work that would need to go into that. We are in July now. I could imagine this in September 2022. Would give them enough time to finish everything, be well into season 2 and then start the proper "Right-Summer's-over-back-to-decent-tele" timetable.

I'm going to stick my finger in the air and saaaaaay.... Friday September 23 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

But they have to be careful with the tone: They cannot go down the Thrones tone of sex and violence and attempting to appeal to a more "Mature" audience. But they also cannot go too wishy washy to appeal to more strictive audience regions/demographics. I believe they got the tone perfect in the original movie trilogy.

I always felt the omission of the Tom Bombadil orgy with the Hobbits and the forest animals was a misstep made purely to maintain the PG-13 rating.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think it'll be a huge initial hit; the question will be whether the popularity will crater if, for whatever reason, it can't sustain the initial surge of excitement. Lord of the Rings still carries a lot of goodwill IMO from its original trilogy (to the extent that the Hobbit tried to slavishly recreate that within a structure almost the polar opposite of the larger novel), and its relative scarcity in the zeitgeist IMO will keep appetites hungry. But if audiences are expecting LOTR in form all over again, they may quickly switch off it the series doesn't match those expectations - or they make another crowbar job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

pixelburp wrote: »
    I think it'll be a huge initial hit; the question will be whether the popularity will crater if, for whatever reason, it can't sustain the initial surge of excitement. Lord of the Rings still carries a lot of goodwill IMO from its original trilogy (to the extent that the Hobbit tried to slavishly recreate that within a structure almost the polar opposite of the larger novel), and its relative scarcity in the zeitgeist IMO will keep appetites hungry. But if audiences are expecting LOTR in form all over again, they may quickly switch off it the series doesn't match those expectations - or they make another crowbar job.

I expect slavish devotion to the source material. If the first episode isn't a detailed study on Hobbit society and horticulture, I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,055 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Same here.

Is the show still expected to be ready for release this year?

According to this it's "sometime in 2022".
    https://www.ign.com/articles/amazon-lord-of-the-rings-actor-no-idea-when-season-one-finishes-filming

One of the actors Benjamin Walker says "We've been here a long time and they'll let us go when they're done with us."

• Advertisement

According to this it's "sometime in 2022".
    https://www.ign.com/articles/amazon-lord-of-the-rings-actor-no-idea-when-season-one-finishes-filming

One of the actors Benjamin Walker says "We've been here a long time and they'll let us go when they're done with us."

I didn’t know Lenny Henry was going to be in this. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him in anything but comedy.

Hard to imagine anyone else in the roles of Elrond and Galadriel than Weaving and Blanchett.

Will Sauron be a person in this and is it set before he made the Rings and the battle in the Fellowship movie prologue ? I only know bits and pieces of the Middle-Earth.

The money involved is simply mindboggling. And, while it's likely to be popular, it's not a guaranteed hit.

It won't grab the mainstream audience that the original trilogy did as so many people were exasperated by the overblown hobbit trilogy. People swarmed to see TLoTR trilogy in the cinema because it was a breath of fresh air.

Game of Thrones came out and the mainstream audience flocked to it because, to many, it was also something different and new (Although, in fairness, for regular fantasy series readers, every trope was there in effect: Lowly bastard/stableboy/orphan who is the rightful heir; beautiful elf queen/dragon lady who looks to be about the same age as said heir; Wise and/or drunken mentor/dwarf; Bad-ass ninja; Bad ass girl,; Ice/Fire warriors; Klingons :) All they were missing was a wizard and it was a tad more violent than most)

And you know that so many other projects depend on this success. I know Wheel of Time is in production at the moment but it seems that every fantasy series was bought up in a feeding frenzy a couple of years ago: The Magician series (Again, even lighter in tone than Rings), Was Stormlight Archives snapped up too?

As for release date: Unless they are totally finished with filming, I cannot imagine it will be out this year. Think of the post-production work that would need to go into that. We are in July now. I could imagine this in September 2022. Would give them enough time to finish everything, be well into season 2 and then start the proper "Right-Summer's-over-back-to-decent-tele" timetable.

I'm going to stick my finger in the air and saaaaaay.... Friday September 23 2022

If it doesn’t arrive at that date I will be very upset with you :p

I asked if it was coming this year because an article I read about delays in filming due to Covid ended dating the series was expected in late 2021.

According to Benjamin Walker shooting isn’t finish and he has no idea when it will be.

I’m hoping this show is geared for everyone and suitable to watch with kids. My nephew loves all things Middle-Earth Asi I hope they are not aiming for a Game of Thrones. To be honest, I want to be like the movies too. Plenty of fantasy shows with boobs and blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,513 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Prime day 2022 ;)

I’m hoping this show is geared for everyone and suitable to watch with kids. My nephew loves all things Middle-Earth Asi I hope they are not aiming for a Game of Thrones. To be honest, I want to be like the movies too. Plenty of fantasy shows with boobs and blood.

In the words of a wise man
    aMZrrNP_700b.jpg

I'd still like to see a somewhat different vibe from the movies though, more ethereal and otherworldly, which I would have thought was something of a given with the subject matter...

aMZrrNP_700b.jpg

I'd still like to see a somewhat different vibe from the movies though, more ethereal and otherworldly, which I would have thought was something of a given with the subject matter...

There is truth in that meme. :p

I didn’t mean I want to series to be exactly like the movie - I just meant in regards to the age rating and such.

I’m all for a different vibe - the more ethereal and otherworldly the better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

aMZrrNP_700b.jpg

For sure; but the mega-success of those LOTR movies has kinda rubber-stamped their iconography and aesthetics onto the overall IP. Almost in the way of the tail wagging the dog. Happens elsewhere too, such as the MCU; where the success of the films has been retrofitted into the appearance and backstories of some of the comics' characters.

This is the conundrum I mentioned on the last page; the LOTR is a huge property with a tonne of goodwill and presumed, ready-made fandom, waiting for some more Middle Earth action. But there's also now a distinct template of what a casual audience expects from "Middle Earth", and the TV series has to somehow thread the needle between those expecting more of Peter Jackson's take - while trying to plough its own course. If it even wants to - this series could be a spectacular failure of endless "fan service", so who knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

They had great books to follow for LOTR, and in Game of thrones it fell apart when they ran out of books. It would be great to get a great 90%+ show that captures the imagination and is must watch television but keeping expectations low

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

....This is the conundrum I mentioned on the last page; the LOTR is a huge property with a tonne of goodwill and presumed, ready-made fandom, waiting for some more Middle Earth action. But there's also now a distinct template of what a casual audience expects from "Middle Earth", and the TV series has to somehow thread the needle between those expecting more of Peter Jackson's take - while trying to plough its own course. If it even wants to - this series could be a spectacular failure of endless "fan service", so who knows!

Yeah, that was wat I meant by "It won't grab the mainstream audience that the original trilogy did". That came across as a bit brutal and cut-and-dry. But what I meant was that. Readers and people genuinely interested will watch at the start out of curiosity. And, in fairness to fantasy readers, they are not as precious/toxic as say, fans on Star Wars or the likes.

So fans will watch at the start anyway. But I don't know how much of the mainstream would be interested in "elves and fairies and sh*t" as a friend of mine put it. To be honest, I was surprised at the mainstream popularity of the movie trilogy.

But yeah, I wonder how many will drop off when there is no Aragorn or Legolas or anything. And the few characters that they DO know will be very different from the movies. Look at the desperate shoe-horning in of Legolas into The Hobbit.

But hey, I don't want to right it off. It's just musing on the difficulties it could face. That "Brand Loyalty" will only go so far. I mean we haven't see a foot of footage and are not likely to anytime soon (Possibly a teaser in December I'd say).

As for someone mentioning the budget of 465 million dollars...... That did NOT include the 250 billion dollars for the RIGHTS. Almost three quarters of a BILLION!!!!!! Yeah, they could have paid for that stunt woman...

I'm hoping for the best and it won't be for lack of cash...

For sure; but the mega-success of those LOTR movies has kinda rubber-stamped their iconography and aesthetics onto the overall IP. Almost in the way of the tail wagging the dog. Happens elsewhere too, such as the MCU; where the success of the films has been retrofitted into the appearance and backstories of some of the comics' characters.

This is the conundrum I mentioned on the last page; the LOTR is a huge property with a tonne of goodwill and presumed, ready-made fandom, waiting for some more Middle Earth action. But there's also now a distinct template of what a casual audience expects from "Middle Earth", and the TV series has to somehow thread the needle between those expecting more of Peter Jackson's take - while trying to plough its own course. If it even wants to - this series could be a spectacular failure of endless "fan service", so who knows!

The recasting of Elrond and Galadriel suggests to me they are very much looking to carve out their own identity. They have very easily have gone with the same actors (with wrinkles CGIed out) as elves are supposed to be ageless... And Cate Blanchett (who apparently loves playing Galadriel) could have added some star cachet to the project even if she wasn't a recast...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

So fans will watch at the start anyway. But I don't know how much of the mainstream would be interested in "elves and fairies and sh*t" as a friend of mine put it.

I like your friend's bluntness :D

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

But I don't know how much of the mainstream would be interested in "elves and fairies and sh*t" as a friend of mine put it.

Is your friend

XH6xBc0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I didn’t know Lenny Henry was going to be in this. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him in anything but comedy.

Hard to imagine anyone else in the roles of Elrond and Galadriel than Weaving and Blanchett.

Will Sauron be a person in this and is it set before he made the Rings and the battle in the Fellowship movie prologue ? I only know bits and pieces of the Middle-Earth.
    From what I can gather this will be set during the Second Age and will include the creation of the Rings of Power so we should see Sauron in his disguise of Annatar (the gift giver). He should look like some sort of Elf lord or Maia. He should keep this good looking appearance until the Downfall of Numenor.

I've seen Lenny Henry do some serious stuff a couple of times. He is pretty decent, I'd say he is a better serious actor than comic. I just hope there is a decent role there for him and they don't try to shoehorn him into something inappropriate like Celebrimbor (creator of the Elven rings) or Ar-Pharazon (king of Numenor).

From what I can gather this will be set during the Second Age and will include the creation of the Rings of Power so we should see Sauron in his disguise of Annatar (the gift giver). He should look like some sort of Elf lord or Maia. He should keep this good looking appearance until the Downfall of Numenor.

I've seen Lenny Henry do some serious stuff a couple of times. He is pretty decent, I'd say he is a better serious actor than comic. I just hope there is a decent role there for him and they don't try to shoehorn him into something inappropriate like Celebrimbor (creator of the Elven rings) or Ar-Pharazon (king of Numenor).

That first paragraph is proof I know nothing of Middle-Earth history :p

As to the casting, I was expecting an all white cast because because that is the casting in movies - and the foreign army that they battle is dark skinned.

So is the casting a mix of skin colours because the series covers “foreign lands” or is it just colour blind casting?

That first paragraph is proof I know nothing of Middle-Earth history :p

As to the casting, I was expecting an all white cast because because that is the casting in movies - and the foreign army that they battle is dark skinned.

So is the casting a mix of skin colours because the series covers “foreign lands” or is it just colour blind casting?
    Hopefully the former. Numenor was a sea power that had colonies around Middle Earth and their ships sailed to other continents so it is entirely possible that characters created for the show could be of various ethnicity. However Tolkien didn't really flesh out these people so none of them appear as characters in his stories. There is very little published by the Tolkien estate on the Second Age. A chapter in The Silmarillion and a couple of others in Unfinished Tales is about it.

Hopefully the former. Numenor was a sea power that had colonies around Middle Earth and their ships sailed to other continents so it is entirely possible that characters created for the show could be of various ethnicity. However Tolkien didn't really flesh out these people so none of them appear as characters in his stories. There is very little published by the Tolkien estate on the Second Age. A chapter in The Silmarillion and a couple of others in Unfinished Tales is about it.

I also hope it is that the series has a mixed casting becasue the characters are from different countries

Is this series going to take place on Numenor ? I thought Numenor was very, very ancient history?

I have only read The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings but I thought Christopher Tolkien’s Middle-Earth books were the history and background of the Tolkien world from the notes - not a story but more like a history encyclopaedia.

And I thought this series was based on those - I know the series is mostly original but that it had key historical events from Tolkien’s notes to base it around.

I knew Will Poulter had been cast in this but only found out today that he had to leave it last year.

I also hope it is that the series has a mixed casting becasue the characters are from different countries

Is this series going to take place on Numenor ? I thought Numenor was very, very ancient history?

I have only read The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings but I thought Christopher Tolkien’s Middle-Earth books were the history and background of the Tolkien world from the notes - not a story but more like a history encyclopaedia.

And I thought this series was based on those - I know the series is mostly original but that it had key historical events from Tolkien’s notes to base it around.
    Tolkien wrote a lot of versions of short stories for his world's history, this is what Christopher had to wade through to get The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales done. Numenor was a great kingdom of Men in the Second Age, it is where Elendil and Isildur, that appear in the Lord of the Rings film prologue, came from. The Second Age ended just over 3000 years before the events of The Lord of the Rings so it is ancient history to most people except Elrond and Galadriel etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

So will this be a re telling of the LOTR films that were just made 20 years ago ? It's too soon for remakes on films that were pretty much perfect.

Also I don't like the idea of making it like Game of Thrones with violence and nudity in it - there is no need for it in LOTR.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

TomSweeney wrote: »
    So will this be a re telling of the LOTR films that were just made 20 years ago ? It's too soon for remakes on films that were pretty much perfect.

Also I don't like the idea of making it like Game of Thrones with violence and nudity in it - there is no need for it in LOTR.

No this isnt set in the same era... almost completely different cast of characters. It is the story of how the rings of power came to be.
    Never before adapted.

There were flashbacks to the era in LOTR with Isildur.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

If it doesn’t arrive at that date I will be very upset with you :p

I asked if it was coming this year because an article I read about delays in filming due to Covid ended dating the series was expected in late 2021.

Maybe don't give up on that completely

Sources tell THR that the latest expectation is for LOTR to launch in early 2022, though a late 2021 debut could be possible depending on production hurdles related to the pandemic.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/amazon-lord-of-the-rings-tv-series-cast-1234976309/

Advertisement