Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Alarm Yes or No

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Had our house briken into yesterday through the back wall which is about 8 to 10ft.
    The front door lock was wrapped aggressively with a selotape so no one would catch them at the act. Luckily someone was in the house so they coudnt take anything of value apart from a missing house key which we are tryung to determine if lost/stolen.

A couple of weeks ago I came back and saw front door handle wrapped eith high vis jacket.. Now wondering if house was marked.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

What do ya do when you're renting and there's no alarm though? Can't exactly just get one fitted yourself. Could ask a LL but in the current market why would they bother. It also affects your contents insurance too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Wibbs wrote: »
    secure your double glazing as most can be removed quite easily from outside

Most double glazing from around the last 15 years would be 'internally beaded' - the strips that hold the glass in are in the room, and not out in the garden side. This is infinitely more secure than 'externally beaded' glazing. If you have double glazing from before this (PVC or aluminium), you could have the rubber strips replaced for additional tightness which would inhibit burglars somewhat.
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Ditto with rear patio doors and locks, secure them too.

Lots of patio doors can be lifted up and out of their rails when the slider is shut and locked. You can easily retrofit a DIY shim at the frame head alongside the lock stile to prevent the door from lifting up in the locked position. A very easy and worthwhile mod.

EDIT: whoop! My 10,000th post

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Phonewatch are pretty good. Box out front, alarm activated cameras inside, each camera has a speaker and a dangerously loud alarm (inside the house). The whole thing is set up with a SIM card so no cables to rip out and if any of the devices are tampered with when the alarm is set, the alarm goes off.

The guy who installed my parents one set it off so they'd know what it sounded like and it was physically painful to be in the house for longer than a few moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Rhyme wrote: »
    Phonewatch are pretty good. Box out front, alarm activated cameras inside, each camera has a speaker and a dangerously loud alarm (inside the house). The whole thing is set up with a SIM card so no cables to rip out and if any of the devices are tampered with when the alarm is set, the alarm goes off.

The guy who installed my parents one set it off so they'd know what it sounded like and it was physically painful to be in the house for longer than a few moments.

I used to be an installer in alarm industry years ago and can remember Phonewatch appearing on the scene.
    They invited engineers and installers to a demonstration house and invited one or two people to break in.
    I can still see the looks on their faces as one of my colleagues managed to get into the house and was looking out the living room window after disabling the dialler to a central station as well disabling the bell box.
    I think they have improved , I hope they have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I bought a Klingon cloaking device on eBay a couple of years ago. Does a great job.

They were good but modern day burglars utilise phased polaron beams to detect cloaked houses unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Rural = No

Urban = Yes

I did not move to the countryside to worry about alarms etc. If they do want to rob me, an alarm wont stop them.
    Very few break-ins in our area anyway. I only heard of 1 in last 10 years.
    One of the neighbours got one but it was always going off so he binned it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

You'll need a license for that crossbow in ireland, like applying for a gun which is fairly complicated. I'm no expert on the irish law but it might be even harder to get than a gun since there are less acceptable reasons for having one. Alarm it is I think :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

LirW wrote: »
    I've always wanted a crossbow though.
    Firearms license required.
    A recurve, long, traditional flat, horse or a compound bow though...grand.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Don't bother your hole with a monitored alarm. Monitored or not, modern thieves are in and out in a few minutes, and unless one of your neighbours reacts instantly, they're not going to get caught in the act.

Ignore the ads about guys being caught in the act or burglars being afraid of monitored alarms. It's all nonsense.

All a monitored alarm will do is give you advance warning that your day/night/holiday has been ruined.

Standard house alarm and a couple of cameras, more than enough.

• Advertisement
Advertisement