Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Alarm Yes or No

Options
  • 08-11-2017 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭

We just had a heated argument in the car about house alarms, since Christmas is coming and the annual break-in olympics are about to start.

Basically should we get a fancy system or instead a proper hunting crossbow and make the dog sharp?

Decisions, decisions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

Get one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I've always wanted a crossbow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

One solution, landmines.
    Just don't forget where you put them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i rescue digs that are on the restriced list and that have issues sonwere abandoned
    currently i have three
    i have a state of the art alarm but i dobt set it

Only the strongest and smartest kids survive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,502 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Moat around the house with drawbridge.

Cannon on the roof. Crossbow at the ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Ronaldinho wrote: »
    Get one

^^This.

We'd a break in earlier this year and if wasn't for the fact that the neighbour heard the alarm and then called the Gardaí (who arrived in minutes) and rumbled them before they had time to upend the place. They ran from the Gardaí and weren't caught but at least nothing was taken and only minimal damage done.

It's the one and only time the alarm has had to do it's job and that one time made it well worth the money.

Get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Moat around the house with drawbridge.

Cannon on the roof. Crossbow at the ready.

Don't forget the boiling tar

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Place sharpened sticks smeared with excrement at the bottom of pits covered with twigs and leaves.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Tigger wrote: »
    i rescue digs that are on the restriced list and that have issues sonwere abandoned
    currently i have three
    i have a state of the art alarm but i dobt set it
    Fair play to you. I don't know how anyone could abandon a dig, especially a restriced one!
    The lousers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,577 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Get one of those IP cameras with both way communication so if someone does break in you can shout abuse at them through your phone... "I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you leave my house now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Ah yeah. The old "do you have a house alarm" trick.

Which one are you Lir?

439341-harry_lime.jpg

But my point is if I'd learn the Xena warcry and stand at the top of the stairs with a loaded crossbow (it even has a scope, folks!) wouldn't that mean no break-ins ever again?
    At night we'd have the option of a naked armed person with warcry. As a burglar, I'd be terrified.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Ah yeah. The old "do you have a house alarm" trick.

Which one are you Lir?

439341-harry_lime.jpg

I know where your house lives.

ITT: I need an excuse to spend a lot of money on a crossbow and the man wouldn't let me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,502 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Place sharpened sticks smeared with excrement at the bottom of pits covered with twigs and leaves.

That is also a 100% accurate description of the toilets in a petrol station in Castlebar that I stopped at last week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

Most neighbours ignore the sound of a house alarm and don't call Gardaí.
    Anyone who does call the Gardaí will be told it's a civil matter by Gardaí.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Get an alarm, secure your double glazing as most can be removed quite easily from outside, which is. A very common way for the scum to gain access. Old style single pane stuff you had to at least smash it, so would risk more attention. Ditto with rear patio doors and locks, secure them too. Infra Red floodlights back and front. Get CCTV if you like, though I may be wrong but I always thought going too visible with security might actually make you more. a target as you'd look like you'd have more to steal? If you can keep and care for a dog they're about the best alarms going. They hear everything.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Anyone who does call the Gardaill be told it's a civil matter by Garda
    Wut? Eh... no. Burglary is not a civil matter and the Guards will respond. How quickly they respond in some areas is another matter...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

House alarm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Get an alarm. With a bit of luck your neighbour won't have one and the scummers will target their house instead.

If they want to get in they will. You're just trying to ensure your house is more awkward than the ones around you

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    Get an alarm, secure your double glazing as most can be removed quite easily from outside, which is. A very common way for the scum to gain access. Old style single pane stuff you had to at least smash it, so would risk more attention. Ditto with rear patio doors and locks, secure them too. Infra Red floodlights back and front. Get CCTV if you like, though I may be wrong but I always thought going too visible with security might actually make you more. a target as you'd look like you'd have more to steal? If you can keep and care for a dog they're about the best alarms going. They hear everything.

The dog is already around, she's a trooper, just doesn't look menacing (it's an Aussie, looks like a collie though). Might have to get her a pitbull costume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I bought a Klingon cloaking device on eBay a couple of years ago. Does a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Get one. A fella out creeping houses won't even chance his arm and move on to the next one, unless of course you have something really valuable(moneywise obviously not the wife and kids) and the creeper is privy to this. If you live in a rural location a good tip for alarm systems is to do some research and shop local. The police could take any amount of time to turn up, the local firm will be straight out, they wouldn't be taking names on notepads either.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,069 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Buy a big dog bowl, the biggest you can find. Fill with water and leave at the front door. Someone comes up, looks at the bowl, then fecks off. Win.

Most neighbours ignore the sound of a house alarm and don't call Gardaí.
    Anyone who does call the Gardaí will be told it's a civil matter by Gardaí.

Around here we respond to each other's alarms and have our spare keys and alarm codes shared - I have them for Mr A, Mr A has Mr C, Mr C has mine etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Alarm
    Dog
    Know your neighbours, keep an eye on their property and they will keep an eye on yours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭Tommy Ferguson

Around here we respond to each other's alarms and have our spare keys and alarm codes shared - I have them for Mr A, Mr A has Mr C, Mr C has mine etc.

Do ye have key parties? Stick it in like.

Do ye have key parties? Stick it in like.

Hi again,

You don't get any funnier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

kbannon wrote: »
    Fair play to you. I don't know how anyone could abandon a dig, especially a restriced one!
    The lousers!

to be clear i find this very funny
    i like that you are laughinh at dyslexis
    i would noy like if you welnlaughing at yhe dyslexics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Get the external box. Don't bother connecting it up or anything.

Advertisement