Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Once in a Lifetime....for now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

skyblue46 wrote: »
    The target will be to stay motivated enough to actually do it.

Sean I know from talking to you at Dunshaughlin that you were a bit meh about the marathon this year and I think the comment above says a lot,it doesn't seem to be the most solid aim to be going into a marathon training cycle with.

Will you be happy on the day to just get through it or at what point will the competitive juices kixk in? You have lot of miles in the legs and the experience of running the marathon last year.....I have no doubt you would would smash your 2017 time this year if you commit to the plan.

I think you need to assess what your priorities are and how the marathon training cycle will affect these. Remember the old mantra we live by around these parts "stick to the plan" and " keep the main thing the main thing". You have shown that you are dedicated to what you do in your running so whatever you decide commit to it. There is more to running than doing marathons; plenty of options out there if that's what you decide.

Also good luck to the young lad in the big match!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Murph_D wrote: »
    Somehow I don’t think that 3:30 lap of honour will happen. I don’t really understand the appeal of a high-five marathon to be honest - might as well give it whatever you have on the day! You might feel different once you get teeth into a schedule. Although it’s getting a little late in the day, is it?

It probably won't happen but I can't feign enthusiasm that isn't there at the moment. I don't think it's late in the day. It's a 14 week plan which starts today but which in all reality started 4 weeks ago with the Base phase.
    OOnegative wrote: »
    Why bother training for a marathon if it’s going to be a High 5 affair? Most of us run/train to better our previous selves, not to sound harsh but I see little point doing what your doing if that’s your goal at the end of it. From my own mindset, if I wasn’t training towards a PB I wouldn’t bother with the effort involved. We’re all different though.

No it's very fair, not harsh at all. I'm absolutely loving running and training and the goal is to better my previous times. Thing is that for marathon mine is a 2019 goal of 3:15 to get GFA for some of the big ones. I won't be able to do that this year. I think 3:25 at best this year. To do that I would probably run with the 3:30 pacers for a long way before hopefully upping the pace. I suppose the question will be answered at that point...stay with the pacers or kick on? My nature probably means I'll go for it. :pac:
    Sean I know from talking to you at Dunshaughlin that you were a bit meh about the marathon this year and I think the comment above says a lot,it doesn't seem to be the most solid aim to be going into a marathon training cycle with.

Will you be happy on the day to just get through it or at what point will the competitive juices kixk in? You have lot of miles in the legs and the experience of running the marathon last year.....I have no doubt you would would smash your 2017 time this year if you commit to the plan.

I think you need to assess what your priorities are and how the marathon training cycle will affect these. Remember the old mantra we live by around these parts "stick to the plan" and " keep the main thing the main thing". You have shown that you are dedicated to what you do in your running so whatever you decide commit to it. There is more to running than doing marathons; plenty of options out there if that's what you decide.

Also good luck to the young lad in the big match!

Oh I'll be sticking to the plan alright but more because I know it will be of huge benefit to me than training for one target time on one specific day. Probably if the training goes well it might help focus the mind more towards DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

No it's very fair, not harsh at all. I'm absolutely loving running and training and the goal is to better my previous times. Thing is that for marathon mine is a 2019 goal of 3:15 to get GFA for some of the big ones. I won't be able to do that this year. I think 3:25 at best this year. To do that I would probably run with the 3:30 pacers for a long way before hopefully upping the pace. I suppose the question will be answered at that point...stay with the pacers or kick on? My nature probably means I'll go for it. :pac:

Even to my inexperienced eyes that sounds conservative? For sure, maybe 3:15 is a stretch, but I'd have thought somewhere between the two would be the target.

Anyway, best not to decide until after the half.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Even to my inexperienced eyes that sounds conservative? For sure, maybe 3:15 is a stretch, but I'd have thought somewhere between the two would be the target.

Anyway, best not to decide until after the half.

Haha, no pulling the wool over your eyes! Sandbagging exposed!! Yes I consider 3:20 possible if absolutely everything went right including training and the weather on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Rossi7

A " High Five Marathon " and to think we "Novices" looked up too you pfffttttttt !!!! ;)

• Advertisement

Rossi7 wrote: »
    A " High Five Marathon " and to think we "Novices" looked up too you pfffttttttt !!!! ;)

Haha... credibility blown! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Rossi7

Haha... credibility blown! :pac:
    Any slower and I could hold your hand going around

Any slower and I could hold your hand going around

That's a coincidence. It was the very reason I was thinking of doing it! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Safiri

I wouldn't usually be one to push goals on people as I think more often than not, people tend to be too aggressive in their marathon goals but in your case, I think 3:15 is in your locker this year. I think my fastest 10k at the end of August the year I ran 3:15 was 40:50 and I'm ****e at the marathon. For one, you are still improving rapidily, well disciplined in both training and racing and are running decent mileage to top it all off. None of which traits I possessed when I ran 3:15. You are more than capable of running that time this year if you really focus on it and I believe you will do it maybe even with some cushion to spare. It's an old cringey cliche but believe in yourself and the training!!!

Safiri wrote: »
    I wouldn't usually be one to push goals on people as I think more often than not, people tend to be too aggressive in their marathon goals but in your case, I think 3:15 is in your locker this year. I think my fastest 10k at the end of August the year I ran 3:15 was 40:50 and I'm ****e at the marathon. For one, you are still improving rapidily, well disciplined in both training and racing and are running decent mileage to top it all off. None of which traits I possessed when I ran 3:15. You are more than capable of running that time this year if you really focus on it and I believe you will do it maybe even with some cushion to spare. It's an old cringey cliche but believe in yourself and the training!!!

No pressure there!! :pac: Seriously though, thanks for your kind words. Some food for thought most definitely and it would certainly help with focus!

• Advertisement

July 23-29

Monday 23rd: 4 miles recovery jog @ 9:38 on the Collins Ave/ Griffith Ave loop. I wasn't recovering from anything in particular but it what was on day 1 of the plan. :pac:

Tuesday 24th: A lovely relaxing 8.1 miles in the Phoenix Park @ 9:02 per mile. One of those days where it's great to be alive and doing something you love.

Wednesday 25th: Session day. Plan was 10 X 2 mins at CV pace (6:22-6:30). I went up to the local football pitches to get these done on grass. It was par for the course in that the reps started off feeling easy but by rep 6/7 there was a bit more strain involved. Paces of 6:28, 22, 26, 25, 22, 25, 23, 24, 21 and 6:03 meant that all were pretty well paced except for sprinting the last bit of the last rep. A nice reintroduction to some pace sessions. Warmup and cooldown brought the total to 9.1 miles.

Thursday 26th: Up to the local park again for 60 minutes of easy running. 6.71 miles @ 9:01 per mile.

Friday 27th: Rest day. Yes you read that right, I rested! I'll definitely be incorporating more rest into this marathon cycle than I have to date this year.

Saturday 28th: Plan had 2 hours easy but this was changed the night before. I was browsing Strava and I noticed that on this weekend last year I ran 16.7 miles. I just didn't feel like I wanted to be behind where I was last year so I decided to run the exact same route from home over to the PP, a lap of the Park and home again. I remember last years run. It was my longest ever at that point and it hurt. Gels were consumed and I stopped at a local shop a few hundred yards from home to get some badly needed chocolate milk. This one was easier, faster without trying, done without gels, no need to stop at the end and a fast finishing 3 or 4 miles. Nice to have a direct comparison with the me of 12 months ago. 17.14 miles @ 8:37

Sunday 29th: 5 miles recovery jog @ 9:31 per mile back in Johnstown Park again for the fourth time.

Great to see the Novices getting their long runs done at the weekend and also a big shout out to Eyrie and Kellygirl for brilliant PBs in Mullingar and Killarney respectively.

Weekly miles: 50.2
    Monthly miles: 228.6
    YTD miles: 1405

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Thanks for the shout out and the encouragement too before the race SkyBlue.

Looking forward to following your training for DCM now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

As you're no doubt sick of hearing from us all at this stage - you've had some year! That long run really is a lovely way to see the comparison.
    And thanks for the nice mention :)

eyrie wrote: »
    As you're no doubt sick of hearing from us all at this stage - you've had some year! That long run really is a lovely way to see the comparison.
    And thanks for the nice mention :)

Haha, ah all praise is welcome! I have realised now though that it has led to raised expectations, probably to far too high a level. As I would tell novices 5k, 5 mile or 10k races are not a reliable guide to a predicted marathon time. I think I was feeling the weight of that. It'll be a 3:20/3:25 DCM target for me...tough but fair I think....

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Hard to believe you were a "novice" last year S. Another great week, but I'm a little disappointed to see that rest day!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Hard to believe you were a "novice" last year S. Another great week, but I'm a little disappointed to see that rest day!

And I'm delighted to see it!

Well done S. Been following you with interest on Strava. Always ridiculously consistent.

Monday 30th: 7.11m @ 8:57. A lovely evening run around my now regular Collins Ave, Donnycarney, Marino, Griffith Ave loop. Always plenty of runners on the Griffith Avenue section. I'm really liking it for a run except at rush hour times when having to cross the Swords Road twice is a nightmare for someone with an OCD like affliction that makes me unable to either stop running or pause the watch! :pac:

Tuesday 31st: 4.67m @ 9:06 and 3.11m @ 10.28. Some might call these junk miles but I'll call it valuable time on my feet. :D J had asked me to pace her for a few pace miles that were on her plan and she also wanted to do the section of RnR from Chapelizod to Castleknock before the half next week. Parked in Castleknock so the car would be where we planned to finish. Trotted down to the Park with the plan of doing the pace miles on the Furze/ Chesterfield/OS lap. Unfortunately J was still really heavy legged after her 16 miles on Sunday and after 2 pace miles she had to pull the plug on it. We then just jogged down to Chapelizod and up the hill and drag to Castleknock. A quick drive of the half route followed. It's an interesting route, difficult in places, not easy for planning splits but I'd say it'll be really good at the pointy end of the race where strategy and head to head racing are more relevant. A nice bit of lunch in the visitor centre afterwards rounded off a smashing morning.

Wednesday 1st: Session day. Plan was for 3 x 8 mins @ Threshold (6:37-6:46) off 3 mins jogged recoveries. Back over to the Park for this one and it went well. Did a similar little lap to the previous day but added the bit from OS roundabout up to Castleknock Gate and back to OS road via Whites Gate. Paces were 6:42, 6:42 and 6:35. Warmup and cool down brought the miles up to 8.75

Thursday 2nd: Rest Day.....but but but...I couldn't not lace up so I went out for a 2.6 mile jog :cool:

Friday 3rd: I was working all weekend so the Fri/ Sat/ Sun runs all had to start at 6/6.30am. No problems with this. I love the peace and tranquility of an early run. A nice gentle run around the Griffith Ave loop. 8.19m @ 9:02

Saturday 4th: Progression run. Plan had 70 mins with 30 very easy (9:11-9:51), 20 easy (8:49-9:08) and 20 moderate (7:46-8:01). I wanted to tweak it a bit but ended up with something that bore very little resemblance to that. I added 20 mins warmup and 30 mins easy cooldown afterwards. I stiffened the paces a bit too in order make the step up to the paces asked for on my next progression run a bit smaller. The result was that my 70 minute plan became 30 easy, 20 easy/ moderate (8:16-8:32), 15 moderate (7:46-8:01) and 5 easy tempo (7:21-7.33). The easy minutes were pretty spot on at 8:50 pace, the easy/ moderate got a little out of range at 8:13, the moderate even further out of range at 7:34 and the easy tempo ended up even faster than tempo at 6:57! Basically I made an arse of it but it was still a really enjoyable session/run. 14.14 miles @ an average of 8:29 per mile.

Sunday 5th: A recovery run of sorts on a very muggy morning. Down Collins Ave to Killester and back up the length of Griffith Ave. A nice 7.6 miles @ 9:08

A good week all told. Next/ this week will take a bit of organising around work, the AI semi final and supporting J at RnR. I think I'll park in the PP, get a few miles in before RnR starts by running down to Christchurch at about the time J should have the 2 miles done, run with her to Castleknock (unless some marshal tries to kick me off the course :pac:) and then run back through the Park to see her finish at Kilmainham :D

Weekly Miles: 56.1
    Monthly Miles: 41.2
    YTD Miles: 1461

Monday 6th: A nice gentle recovery run in the local park. 3.1 miles at a 9:22 average.

Tuesday 7th: Had been reading a bit about heart rate zones and training. I decided to try it out as a way of assessing if my very easy/ recovery pace was where it should be. To be at the 55% of HRR calculated using the Karvonen method would mean a HR of 121 would keep me in the very easy range. With that in mind I set the watch to only show heart rate and I ran by that. It meant some surprisingly slow uphills and faster flat or slightly downhills than I would usually do. Ended up doing 10.3 miles and on checking afterwards my pace was 9:21. Turns out my recovery pace the day before was pretty much spot on :)

Wednesday 8th: Session day. Plan was for 8 intervals of 3 minutes @ CV pace (6:22-6:30) off 2 mins jog recovery. I went over to the Phoenix Park for this on a beautiful evening. I felt really well for this and that was reflected in the splits paces of 6:26, 6:23, 6:24, 6:22, 6:22, 6:21, 6:19 and 6:12. There's a bit of work needed on these as I went out too fast in most of them, had to slow down to get paces back in range and then speed up to keep them there. I really enjoyed it though. Warmup and cooldown brought the mileage to 10.3 for the evening.

Thursday 9th: Rest Day

Friday 10th: A very easy few miles again, 6.6 of them at 9:15

Saturday 11th: Oh my God what a hectic weekend! I was starting work at 3:30 am on Weds, Thurs, Fri, and Saturday so by Saturday I was pretty wrecked. The plan had down a 60 minute run at moderate pace (7:44-7:58). Time was against me as I only got home from work at 11.30 and had to leave for Croker at 1.45. Forgot to check the plan and thought I was to do 70 minutes which I did at an average of 7:47. Quick shower, quick bite to eat, out the door, 2 pints before minor game, pint at half time, 2 more at full time, 1 at half time in the senior game and then back to the local for a few more. :pac::rolleyes: I fell asleep on the couch and woke at 2.30am before dragging myself off to bed. :o:eek:

Sunday 12th: So with that ideal preparation I got up at 7 and headed over to the PP for my LSR. J was running the RnR half so I planned my route so I could give her a shout at a few places. Ended up doing 19.2 miles at an easy paced 8:43, a lot slower than her race pace. :) She ran a great race beating her time from last year on a much tougher course.

Next Sunday is the Kilcock 10 for me but I won't really be tapering for it. I'll do my midweek session and then a couple of easy days before the weekend. I just want to use it to test paces for the Ratoath half a few weeks later.

Weekly Miles: 60.8
    Monthly Miles: 102.1
    YTD Miles: 1522

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Good to see you today!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Well done to both of you for your efforts on Sunday! Sounds like the pints didn't interfere too much in the end ;)

• Advertisement

eyrie wrote: »
    Well done to both of you for your efforts on Sunday! Sounds like the pints didn't interfere too much in the end ;)

Ah really it's the one thing I have to sort out. Diet is something I have done a lot of work on but far too many pints still... I'd love to be able to quantify the affect on my running...:o

13th-19th August

This week was mostly about trying to recover from my highest ever mileage week and hoping to be ready for the Kilcock 10 from 10. What did I learn? That trying to run races to your best is very difficult in the middle of a heavy training block! :pac: I'm sure today will stand to me going forward but by Jaysus it took it out of me!

Monday 13th: A very gentle 3.1 miles at a sedate 9:47 per mile. Was still feeling the 19 miles from the day before which included Knockmaroon and Anglers rest hills.

Tuesday 14th: 60 minutes very easy. 6.6m @ 9:38

Wednesday 15th: Session day. 20 mins at threshold (6:39-6:48). Went up to Santry Demesne for this. I like the up and down nature of the park for this type of work. Felt good and averaged 6:34 for the 20 mins.

Thursday 16th: Started the wind down towards Kilcock. 45 very easy minutes. 5.2 miles @ 9:10

Friday 17th: Rest Day

Saturday 18th: 3.1 miles including 5 x 100m strides.

Sunday 19th: Kilcock 10 from 10

Pre Race: I had terrible trouble trying to come up with a plan for this one. I wasn't sure what nick the legs were in after some heavy training. I had decided that my long term target of breaking 70 minutes for the first time. Well I had decided until I looked at paces last night and saw that to break 1:30 in a half someday I would need to run 6:50 per mile. So the plan changed! :pac: Let's try 6:50 pace and see how long I can hold it for.

I met a selection of past and present Novices on the day. It was nice to meet Cullenswood and Supercell of this years novices. Big thanks to Browneyes for collecting my number and t-shirt last evening and then providing me with pins when I realised I had forgotten mine. :rolleyes: I love meeting C at races. She has completed a couple of the grads plans, is training really well and reaping the rewards with some fantastic improvements. I then bumped into WW and somehow while chatting I decided I'd sit with the 70 minute pacers for a bit before kicking on.

Miles 1-3: After half a mile the pacers were 10 or 15 seconds behind pace so I kicked on :pac:. Talk about changing my mind as I went! It didn't take me long to realise that today was going to be a tough one. The mile splits were 6:49, 6:39 and 6:50. Yes I was pretty much on target but it was feeling too hard. Legs were feeling it more than they had after 20 mins of my midweek session even though the pace was slower. I was also isolated on the road unless I wanted to drop back to the 70 minute group. I just didn't want to accept defeat this early by doing that but there were only 3/4 runners in the 200 yds ahead of me that I could focus on.

Miles 4-7: These miles were all about digging in. It wasn't what I was expecting. I always thought that as race distances went up that you got a bit more time where you felt you were cruising. Not today! I just concentrated on rhythm and breathing, trying to stay consistent. Splits were 6:45, 6:45, 6:49, 6:47. That looks nice and steady but it was far from it. It was grim!

Miles 8-10: Sean you're a tosser. What in the name of God made you tell your Whatsapp grad friends you'd aim for 6:50 pace? Jesus I regretted it now. Mile 8 was a draggy one and I was losing the battle to maintain pace. I passed one runner from Tallaght but that was it. 7:03 for the mile and my last reserves dragged out of me on a humpback bridge and a hairpin turn that involved coming to a near standstill. I found it hard to get the legs going after that. My heart dropped on feeling the headwind that would be in my face along the canal path. I found myself in a group of 3 here and we just ploughed along without a word. I could tell they were hurting as bad as I was. Nothing much more to add...2 miles of slogging, not a hint of a sprint finish. 6:57 and 6:39 for the last 2 miles

Post Race: Chip time 68:01 Position: 90/499 M50: 5/36
    A PB which despite the tone of this post I am delighted with. A lesson learned regarding racing in the middle of a training block and managing my own expectations/ hopes.

A good day all round with WW and Browneyes both recording impressive PBs, congrats to both of you. The race itself was a triumph of dedication and organisation. Not one thing wasn't done 100%...an absolute success and deserving of a much higher turnout next year and on subsequent years. I have no doubt this race will firmly establish itself as one of the best on the calendar over the coming years. I most definitely have no intention of missing it as long as the auld legs keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Fair play on digging in near the end. Nice to catch up beforehand. No mention of the massive spread in the school at the finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

No taper and a bitch of a humid day and you still broke 70 mins with ease, a PB to be happy with but one I reckon that won’t be to long before it’s broken again, good man S.

Fair play on digging in near the end. Nice to catch up beforehand. No mention of the massive spread in the school at the finish?

Haha...I made my comments on the Kilcock 10 thread. I was a bit distracted at the end of my report watching a fantastic end to the hurling and seeing that my beloved Utd really are $hite again this year! :mad: It was indeed a fine spread with a veritable feast of cakes and buns. I really did miss sandwiches though, they were few and far between. Today's spread was definitely one for the sugar lovers! ;)

No taper and a bitch of a humid day and you still broke 70 mins with ease, a PB to be happy with but one I reckon that won’t be to long before it’s broken again, good man S.

:pac::pac: ease??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

:pac::pac: ease??

68.01 is with ease, 69.59 is hanging on, no??

68.01 is with ease, 69.59 is hanging on, no??

Yeah I get your point. Though 69:59 would have been easier :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Congrats on your PB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Well done again Sean. You did brilliantly. I did wonder was there no spread after when it wasn’t mentioned in your report!!

Advertisement