Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox One General Discussion - Part 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Had my first ever crash on the Xbox One while playing the DLC Bad Blood for Watch Dogs. I was doing a side quest and had to download a file got the file and water was right behind me so I said I will jump in and swim to safety as soon as I hit the water it just crashed. I'm used to having crashes on PC but it's the first time on the Xbox. Afair I never had any crashes on my 360 years ago and I never downloaded any updates for games either back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

I need to expand storage on the xbox one s. What spec hardrive would you suggest. 1 TB should be enough as i can delete some of the games as i go.

Famous last words :D

We have all said that!

Personally, I went with 3 x 2TB as I think having more than 2TB of files to redownload if the drive corrupted, would drive me insane on my broadband connection :o

As the lads mentioned, you are as well off getting a 2TB for the sake of it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Sorry if this has been discussed previously but just wondering has anyone noticed the recent players list seems to be way out of sync on the Xbox lately?

Either most players no longer appear or I see Recent players showing from 1/2 days ago?

It use to be bang on the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

joe123 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been discussed previously but just wondering has anyone noticed the recent players list seems to be way out of sync on the Xbox lately?

Either most players no longer appear or I see Recent players showing from 1/2 days ago?

It use to be bang on the money.

It has been like that for the past month or so for me, gone to pot is has :(

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

Has anyone a link to contact Microsoft support about Microsoft rewards?

Got an email about a free sweepstakes entry and they still deducted the points. The support link on the rewards page only leads to page not found.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Has anyone a link to contact Microsoft support about Microsoft rewards?

Got an email about a free sweepstakes entry and they still deducted the points. The support link on the rewards page only leads to page not found.

The support link works for me, perhaps try a different browser?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Been using topcashback for ages and only now do I realise that you can get cashback on digital purchases from ms store, feck sake.

7%, not too shabby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

maximoose wrote:
    Been using topcashback for ages and only now do I realise that you can get cashback on digital purchases from ms store, feck sake.

Does it work if you buy from foreign stores?

I clicked through from Topcashback and it brought me to the GB store.

Then changed the "en-gb" in the URL to "en-IE", made two purchases. Both tracked at the £ price (-VAT)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

How's the single player in Doom, it's cheap on Amazon and might grab it with Wolfenstein The New Order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

ThisRegard wrote: »
    How's the single player in Doom, it's cheap on Amazon and might grab it with Wolfenstein The New Order.

Doom is great. Wolfenstein is a must buy, it's excellent. You can't like one and not the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Cool. Haven't played Doom since the original in the 90s (along with the original Wolfenstein) with the Simpsons skin. I got The New Colossus today for cheap, well €29, but having read the original New Colossus thread in the General Gaming forum I'm thinking I should play that first now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Cool. Haven't played Doom since the original in the 90s (along with the original Wolfenstein) with the Simpsons skin. I got The New Colossus today for cheap, well €29, but having read the original New Colossus thread in the General Gaming forum I'm thinking I should play that first now.

The New Order came out first and then The Old Blood. It's a prequel to New Order which is about six hours minimum depending on the difficulty and how much of the collectibles you want to get. It's not really a big deal which to play first but i think you should start with the Old Blood and work from there for the timeline. Keep an eye on then deals on the Xbox marketplace. They are nearly always on sale as part of a bundle for €25 or less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

When i pull the right trigger on my controller from it’s resting position there’s a very slight sticky feeling. It’s driving me mad. It’s basically when you first pull it it feels like there’s glue on it inside. Does anyone know how to fix it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Hi
    Help needed please.

My son has Xbox one. He has a child account. It won’t let him play mine craft anymore.
    Says
    Minecraft Xbox one edition is not currently available.

We go to install it and it says it’s Installed

Then it says

Do you own this game or app?
    If you have disc insert niw. If ourchased in-line loginti xbox live. If you don’t have rights get them from Microsoft.

What do I need to do please?

Disc is inserted by the way

Same thing happens if I try on my parent profile

He was able to play before

Lisha wrote: »
    Hi
    Help needed please.

My son has Xbox one. He has a child account. It won’t let him play mine craft anymore.
    Says

Then it says

If you have disc insert niw. If ourchased in-line loginti xbox live. If you don’t have rights get them from Microsoft.

Try doing a hard reset. Hold down the power button on the front of the console for 10 seconds.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Lisha wrote: »
    Hi
    Help needed please.

Says

Then it says

Try looking here first. Also, do a hard reset, it often solves problems like this. Follow the steps for "Physically power cycle the console".

Thsnks all . I did the hard rest and he is now playing Minecraft.... I didn’t think it would as he is good to power it down but I now realize they are different.
    My poor 10 year old I feel very sorry for him. I’m so not a gamer at all and I’m no help to him.
    Im totally freaked out about Xbox Live and I’ve his security settings very tight (he is invisible online asfaik and while I’m afraid he is missing out I just think he is too young for online activity. )

I can’t bloody wait until he is old enough tbh.

Thsnks fir all yere help. 😄

Anyone else have a look at their stats in the Xbox Year in Review yoke?

Apparently I'm in the top 1% for gamerscore and achievements this year (in my region, en-gb), with 683 hours played. It's only ten months worth of data as well, so it's probably a small bit more by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭finglashoop

CatInABox wrote: »
    Anyone else have a look at their stats in the Xbox Year in Review yoke?

Apparently I'm in the top 1% for gamerscore and achievements this year (in my region, en-gb), with 683 hours played. It's only ten months worth of data as well, so it's probably a small bit more by now.

Never knew there was such a thing

2120 hours played- 1200 of them on Cod: black ops / ww2

Top 1% of hours played

Total hours played by me is 11 hours. It would be a lot higher if it included the last two months as I started to play the Xbox more since I got the One X. I played most of my games this year on PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

maximoose wrote: »
    https://www.xbox.com/en-ie/live/year-in-review/

Nice little review of your activity for the year there

Must not include December though (yet)

Doesn't even include November let alone December.
    Date Range wrote:
    01.01.17-31.10.17

I ninja deleted, was already posted silly me

328 hours for me - that will rocket if updates and adds in November/Dec. Poured a lot of hours into AC: Origins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I've 119 hours gone into AC Origins, according to the xbox stats!
    Still not finished it :D

Is it possible to exchange a controller? My X controller is drifting to the left. Came with the X, bought in Smyths.

I've owned all xbox models and this is the first time I've ever had a problem :(

• Advertisement

Is it possible to exchange a controller? My X controller is drifting to the left. Came with the X, bought in Smyths.

I've owned all xbox models and this is the first time I've ever had a problem :(

I don't know if they will exchange it. You could call in and find out and if they refuse just get onto Xbox support and they will fix it for you. A few weeks ago I sent a Elite controller back that was faulty from new and they fixed it for me. All free as well.

I don't know if they will exchange it. You could call in and find out and if they refuse just get onto Xbox support and they will fix it for you. A few weeks ago I sent a Elite controller back that was faulty from new and they fixed it for me. All free as well.
    Might just go the MS route. Thanks.

If it’s the standard X controller Smyths will exchange it once you’ve the receipt. If it’s the Scorpio one you’ll have to send it to MS.

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    If it’s the standard X controller Smyths will exchange it once you’ve the receipt. If it’s the Scorpio one you’ll have to send it to MS.
    Smyths fobbed me off completely telling me there's nothing wrong with it. Will never buy from them again.

Smyths fobbed me off completely telling me there's nothing wrong with it. Will never buy from them again.

They were happy to replace my controller that came with the system no problem in Jervis St., unfortunately they had no Scorpio versions left and I didn’t want the standard one so I’d to send it to MS. Get onto head office and explain what happened and they’ll sort it for you. You’ll be waiting a while if you send it to MS.

Head office is closing at 1pm tomorrow so give them a shout before that.

• Advertisement

Have a 7 day Xbox Game Pass code if anyone is interested in it.

Merry Christmas, lads and ladies! Have a good one!

and you and your's CatInABox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Merry Christmas, lads and ladies! Have a good one!

Merry Christmas Everyone,

May Santa bring you lots of gaming goodies tomorrow
    May Parents have no issues setting up new game consoles/downloading games

Thanks for all the help re Xbox when I’ve needed it. Happy Christmas:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Is it possible to have say Ori on my pc and my nephew play it on his xbox :confused:

irishman86 wrote: »
    Is it possible to have say Ori on my pc and my nephew play it on his xbox :confused:

Not with Ori, but there are certain games with this ability. Look for "Play Anywhere" games, here's a list.

It's not a large list yet, but they've only just started pushing it in the last while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Yester

How long does it take to set up an Xbox 1. It's started downloading but it's still at 5% and the kids are going mental and I'm only joking the xbox is mine and I set it up yesterday. Merry Christmas all I've been lurking for a while and got great advice from this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

So I unboxed my new One S today, and there is a clicking sound from the fan when I started it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,361 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    So I unboxed my new One S today, and there is a clicking sound from the fan when I started it up.

Could be the disk drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Could be the disk drive.

I put my ear up against the fan, and it was coming from there.

I read that other people have the same problem too.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

Happy Christmas and excuse the mini rant but..........

Starting setting up the Xbox1s this morning at around 8.30 for one excited young fella. 4 failed updates later we finally got to the point where we could actually put a disc in. It was shortly after 4pm.

Now we are back to updating again as both games we got require substantial downloads (so why did I buy a disc?). It looks like we won't get to use it today and if possible the wee man is more jaded looking than me!

If it was just me, I would be boxing it up and going back to the shop. I don't think this is fit for purpose. I thought the whole idea of consoles were plug and play. I don't want to spend my Christmas waiting to use things I have bought and paid for.

It's well documented that you would need to update the console and games. I seen mentioned on the Xbox also people recommending to do all the updates before Christmas for their kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

MaxFlower wrote: »

Starting setting up the Xbox1s this morning at around 8.30 for one excited young fella. 4 failed updates later we finally got to the point where we could actually put a disc in. It was shortly after 4pm.

Now we are back to updating again as both games we got require substantial downloads (so why did I buy a disc?). It looks like we won't get to use it today and if possible the wee man is more jaded looking than me!

If it was just me, I would be boxing it up and going back to the shop. I don't think this is fit for purpose. I thought the whole idea of consoles were plug and play. I don't want to spend my Christmas waiting to use things I have bought and paid for.

What’s your internet like at home?
    Did you do any research before buying the console?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,361 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Max you didn't do your research and now your child missed out. There is a thread in both the Xbox and Gaming Forum here that gives great set up tips for Christmas morning.

Also if you had disconnected the internet before turning on the Console you could have played away without any updates

Is it true that you cannot play EA multiplayer with a child account, even if the adult sets the appropriate permissions?!

Xmas day drama here thanks to an "error code 524, this account is not able to play online." on Star Wars Battlefront 2.

It's Star Wars, seriously ffs.

So basically if this is true there is no point ever buying an EA game again or else I have to setup an adult account which defeats the whole purpose of parental controls.

All consoles have been like this since the 360, that is why there have been notices up on most of the games forums here telling parents to update the console before today.

Errr, I normally put up a thread with tips and guides for new owners (particularly for parents), but this is the first year that I've totally forgotten, sorry MaxFlower (and any other boardsie parents that suffered the same fate)!

Basically, consoles have changed from being plug and play into something more advanced, which is great for some things, but worse for others. The ability to download updates for both console and games have meant that the console that we got three or four years ago bears little resemblance to the one that you're getting today, even though they have the same hardware. Likewise with games, the ability to download updates has meant that some games have developed far beyond what they were when they first came out.

Still, it sucks that you got caught out like that, but I can tell you that it does get better. System updates are pretty rare, once every three months or so, but game updates are common. Give the console a fair chance, and I think you'll enjoy it.

Also, just to note, every console that you buy will be pretty similar setup experience, even Nintendo are pushing out patches and updates this generation.

Just on a side note for you and your little one (and this is something that I would have put into the thread), Microsoft have a pretty full featured parental controls. You can learn more about them here.

Despite me posting updates about their progress anytime news leaked out, I still honestly never thought that I'd see the day....

Kodi is available to install on Xbox One.

It's an alpha, and I'm having difficulty adding my network shares, but then again, it's Kodi, so what did I expect?

• Advertisement

Despite me posting updates about their progress anytime news leaked out, I still honestly never thought that I'd see the day....

Kodi is available to install on Xbox One.

It's an alpha, and I'm having difficulty adding my network shares, but then again, it's Kodi, so what did I expect?

It's obviously an Alpha, but it's also surprisingly stable. The controls are difficult to figure out, and it's clear that some functions just haven't copied over to a controller correctly(I've got a couple of media sources that I just can't seem to remove), but as I said, it's surprisingly good outside of that.

It's obviously doing all of the work as well, so files that will bring my plex set up to a juddering halt will play totally fine, and it's also got no issue with subtitles at all.

All in all, it's brilliant.

I do think that it's not going to last long though. It seems to have a full add-on section, including installing from unknown sources. My guess is that this was meant to be a test for uploading it to the store, and someone forgot to disable the UK setting, so some people are getting it now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement