Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Be a shepard, not a sheep

Options
  • 07-11-2017 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Decided to follow suit with some of the other 2017 DCM novices and start a log.

Prior to April / May I hadn't really done any 'serious' running with the exception of some parkruns to try and keep some fitness in the middle of the football season etc. After the season was over last year, and having been near the finish line for the 2016 DCM and experiencing the atmosphere, I decided to sign up for 2017 and give it a go. Despite some early injury issues, I (delightedly) completed my first marathon last week. I'm going back playing football now for my last season (I'm 39 now) but want to keep up some running and not let the last 6 months go to waste. So I thought this log would help with some motivation to keep it up - weird how the mind works in that you feel you almost have to answer to some strangers on the internet if you don't get your runs and miles in :D.

As it stands the below are my current pbs - apart from parkrun, I've only run one of each distance in a race so all pb's!!!:
    Parkrun - 20.34
    5k - 20.20 (docklands 2017)
    10k - 41.56 (Fingal 2017)
    HM - 1.39.07 (Dublin HM 2017)
    Marathon - 3.28.29 (DCM 2017)

My targets before next May, when I'll most likely start another DCM plan will be (subject to change):
    5k - sub 20
    10k - sub 41

after which I'd like to try:
    HM - sub 1.34
    DCM - Sub 3.20

As I said, hoping this log might help keep me motivated and running!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Best of luck D, I'll be following with interest, as a lot of those targets are close to my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Good luck D.....you will be in great shape for another DCM next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Similar to me so i'll follow with interest. I started running properly (aside from a few parkruns) in summer 2016 and I was targeting similar times.
    It took about 2 months to go from 22min 5k shape to 19mins and my 10k time came down from 49mins to 41 . I started running 20-30km a week most weeks but I think the key for me was meeting a running group on Thursdays at lunchtimes and doing 12 x400m's at faster than 5k pace if your not doing any speed work like that just adding that workout would make a huge difference to your times IMO.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

Good luck with the training. Those are some decent times for someone who hasn't done much serious running. With a consistent training block and some more race practice, you can expect to make good progress. I reckon sub 40 is possible by next May if you manage your comeback from the marathon effort sensibly and follow a dedicated 10k plan. You might benefit more long-term by focusing on 5k/10k next year instead of jumping back into the marathon again straight away, but do what you enjoy.

Are you a member of a club?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

vanderlyle wrote: »
    Are you a member of a club?

No not a member anywhere but definitely going to look into joining once I finish up with the football

• Advertisement

Sounds like a good plan D; you have some great times there to build on. I will be on the recruitment drive then!
    Sheep1978 wrote: »
    No not a member anywhere but definitely going to look into joining once I finish up with the football

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Great to see your log good luck with reaching those goals I say no problem for you either :)

Not much to log about this week. Went back playing football so with that DCM recovery still in full swing I didn't do much.

Sat 11.11.17:
    2m warm up followed by the local park run at 20.42. Planned on a bit slower and ease into jingle bells in a few weeks but ended up running with a mate and we inevitably ended up going a bit faster than planned

Foot hasn't been right since DCM. Having done a parkrun last week, and gone back trying to play football too, it was getting more and more sore so bit the bullet and went the physio. Bruised and swollen tendon and bone so no running (or any impact sport) for at least 2-3 weeks and most likely the new year. Anything done could lead to a stress fracture or something similar.
    Bit p*ssed off now missing the next few weeks and most likely jingle bells, etc. but best in the long run no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Sorry to hear that D. Best of luck with the recovery. Keep us updated.

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear that, but better in the long run good luck and speedy recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Sorry to hear that Sheep. Hope the rest really helps the foot and the enforced break might do you the world of good.

That's not good to hear D.....rest up and get sorted and you will be back playing ball and running soon.

Not done a thing for a couple of weeks. Footie team were short bodies on thurs night so did the line for them and played 20/25 mins. Knew I'd set full recovery on the foot back a bit so decided to go ahead with JB today while the 'damage' was still there. It makes some sort of logic in my own head.

Bumped into Wubble Wubble beforehand who was wearing his mentor tshirt from DCM! Didn't see anyone else I knew before hand.

Felt sluggish enough from the lack of running but was confident the fitness from DCM would still be there. Watch acted up so wasn't sure if I'd gotten inside the 20 until the official results came out. Chip time of 19'44 for a 36sec pb, albeit on a very favourable course. Delighted with it though.

That's me done until Jan 01st when I'll do the Tom Brennan with my wife who is doing the Lord Mayor challenge,and hopefully I'll be 100% injury free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Congrats on going sub-20!

Well done on the PB great running

Nice one D great to get sub 20.....I heard you were getting some course tips in work on Friday!

Nice one D great to get sub 20.....I heard you were getting some course tips in work on Friday!

Haha some inside info always helps!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Super running, well done. Sub 20 must be a great buzz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭clickerquicklic

Congrats sub 20 is a great milestone excellent running.

• Advertisement

Well done sub 20 brilliant

Major lack of running or updates over the last few weeks. Between football (and its inevitable knocks and niggles at my age) and assisting my wife with the Lord mayor 5 alive challenge I;ve not done too much but thought I should put up some sort of update for myself:

Jan 01st: Local Parkrun with my son in 28.02
    Jan 01st: Tom Brennan 5k with my wife (her first ever 5k) in 38.31

Jan 06th: 6 easy miles with some friends at approx. 8.50p/m. Went to Catherines park for the first time and liked it. Will defo be back up there when I'm back at it properly.

Jan 13th: Voluntered at the local parkrun for the first time. Will defo do so again soon.

Jan 20th: Having played a game the previous night, I went out sat morning planning on 6 decent paced miles followed by a park run. With the bad weather and tired heavy legs, the 6 miles ended up being 5 max as I was so slow and couldnt get going. Parkrun was done in just over 23 mins with a serious lack of energy etc. Very disappointing

Jan 27th: Local parkrun in 20.47. Better than the previous week thank Christ but still feeling very rusty.

Jan 28th: Ran the Raheny 5m with my wife in approx. 59mins. Enjoyable day with decent weather and lots of great encouragement around from everyone. Great to see so many of my fellow 2017DCM graduates running great times.

Overall, a poor few weeks and my 10 week plan for Bohermeen is now down to 6 and the rest will depend on how the footie goes. Guess I knew this would be the case when I went back playing but still can't help feeling disappointed. I'll do my best to kick on the next few weeks, starting tonight hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Maybe you needed the break too Sheep and the fact that you’ve started back to the log means you are ready to pick it back up again. Good luck training for Bohermeen.

Great stuff in helping out the good lady Damo; always brilliant to give encouragement ..the Lord Mayors is a brilliant initiative it's what really got me running in 2016.

Plenty of time to get back into running when the football is finished....those dodgy lads you work with will get you out!

Weekly update:

29/01 - 4.3m @ 7.47. Just a warm up mile followed by 3 quicker miles to try get the legs moving again.

02/02 - 7.8m @ 8.14. Played a game the previous evening so legs felt heavy and contemplated cutting the planned route a short a few times. Stuck it out but have aceepted in my head that the Bohermeen half will be just a long run and zero hope of breaking any pb's etc. there'll be no proper training plans or races until the football season is over unfortunately. c'est la vie!!

Weekly update:

08/02 - 4.0m @ 8.03. similar to last week, just a warm up mile followed by 3 quicker miles to try get the legs moving again.

10/02 - Local parkrun in 21.10. Another struggle after the previous nights match.
    10/02 - 3.4m @ 11.30 . An evening run with the wife as she continues her Lord mayor challenge.

Not much again but going to try keep the log up for myself anyway

Weekly update:

15/02 - 2m @ 8.30. Just a light warm up jog before football training

18/02 - Approx 15m @ 8.20 . By far the longest I've run since DCM last Oct. With Bohermeen only a few weeks away I knew I had to do something or cancel the plan to do Bohermeen. Knee was pretty sore from a game on the Fri night but decided to plaough ahead with a a planned 10 miler. Went out with a few lads from the area and headed toward the Phoenix park. Watch went dead early doors, hence the approximation of distance and pace. After 5m I should have let the lads go on and turned back on myself to get 10 in but decided to plough on. Happy to have gotten some miles under the belt but it certainly didn't go to plan and the knee is paying the price since.!! At least I feel in my head now I can at least complete Bohermeen

Get that knee checked and RICE it I hope it get better for you so you can enjoy Bohermeen

Ok, after a few months away from boards, time to kick back into action.

Last few months have consisted of the Bohermeen half (1.38.50) which was fast (for me) 10miles followed by 3 miles of absolute torture and pain. Only my second HM and beat the first by a few seconds so happy enough. I finished the season playing football and since then, have spent the last 5-6 weeks mainly just doing 1-2 runs a week of approx. 9-10 miles. Did the Docklands 5k last Thursday and came in at 19.35 for a pb and , with the exception of a downhill Tom Brennan last year, my only 5k under 20.

Kicked off a 17 week marathon plan last Sat so I'll be sticking up weekly logs, at least, from now on and hopefully get some constructive criticism on where I'm going wrong. Last year I did approx. 500m in preparation for DCM. hoping to do in the region of 650-700 this time around and try to improve on last years time.

• Advertisement

Good luck with the marathon training this year. You know what to expect from last year both in terms of training and on the day itself.

Advertisement