Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disgraceful 20% fare hike on Airlink 747 service

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

JCX BXC wrote: »
    It's a service I've used many times, heck I've gotten flights for less than the aircoach fare! €12 return for such a route is very excessive in my opinion, far less of a distance than InterCity routes yet not much less on the price!

Personally I find €12 return for a coach with plug and USB sockets, reclining leather padded seating and overhead luggage racks which can be booked online up to a few minutes before the journey better value than €12 return for a bog standard bus with a couple of luggage racks which has none of those advantages.

The only reason I would use Airlink over Aircoach would be if I had an annual ticket that it was included on, a tourist pass that included it or I was going to/from an area not served by Aircoach.
    Vronsky wrote: »
    Inflation has been at or near zero for the last ten years, so the length of time it's been since there was an increase isn't a valid justification

I'm simply comparing the fare rises on the Airlink to all other modes of transport in the last ten years which I think is a pretty fair comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭john boye

Personally I find the 747 a tad more reliable than the Aircoach and a bit faster off-peak too. Its Sunday morning timetable is less than useless though and that's a major disadvantage.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

john boye wrote: »
    Personally I find the 747 a tad more reliable than the Aircoach and a bit faster off-peak too. Its Sunday morning timetable is less than useless though and that's a major disadvantage.

The problem with the 747/757 comes when it gets stuck on the Quays which is a bit of a bottleneck, and the fact there are 8 stops from O'Connell Street before you even get to the port tunnel which can slow it up whereas Aircoach is only stopping once between O'Connell Street and the airport.

On the other hand there are times of the day as you observed when the Port Tunnel route even with the extra stops is quicker than going via Drumcondra on Aircoach so it's swings and roundabouts really as to which one is faster since it isn't the case that one is always faster than the other.

One thing is for sure though - Aircoach need to deliver a proper real time solution to their service. Simply asking people to phone them up and ask is not acceptable, they need to put in place a proper real time info service and maintain it which they historically have failed to do on a number of occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

I noticed that the 747 has reduced from 6 times/hour to 4 times/hour too which I can't believe. I get it home from work pretty much every day, and at least twice a week there is a 30min wait at t2, due to the bus filling up at t1.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,199 ✭✭✭maximoose

devnull wrote: »
    T and the fact there are 8 stops from O'Connell Street before you even get to the port tunnel which can slow it up whereas Aircoach is only stopping once between O'Connell Street and the airport.

Yep, 8 stops which are all relatively close to each other are my biggest gripe with the Airlink now - no need for all of them, far from an "express" service now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

The 10 minute 747 which only started in May appears to have been scrapped and back to the old timetable. Was it only a seasonal 10 minute service or unplanned scrapping. I had no issues major issues with higher fares but considering service as reduced not exactly impressed.

Also the timetable at stops isn't accurate anymore for the 15 min service.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    The 10 minute 747 which only started in May appears to have been scrapped and back to the old timetable. Was it only a seasonal 10 minute service or unplanned scrapping. I had no issues major issues with higher fares but considering service as reduced not exactly impressed.

Also the timetable at stops isn't accurate anymore for the 15 min service.

Only started in May? Certainly ran in August last year, November last year and April this year when I used it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Only started in May? Certainly ran in August last year, November last year and April this year when I used it!

Pretty sure the 10 minute only started in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Pretty sure the 10 minute only started in May.

I was wrong, apologies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement