Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disgraceful 20% fare hike on Airlink 747 service

Options
  • 03-11-2017 7:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

The Dublin Bus 747 airlink has risen in price from €6 single to €7 and from €10 return to €12. Disgraceful gouging tourists and passengers like this on what is a heavily used and totally mediocre service.

Got stung yesterday myself for €7 and hopped off at the Point Depot and used to Luas out as far as Heuston instead as I knew the 747 probably wouldn't make Heuston on time leaving me with a 2 hrs wait to catch the next train. The disgraceful attitude shown by the woman Bus Driver towards some elderly tourists was the salt in the wound for me after the fare increase. She then drove off before all passengers were seated upstairs and it reminded me of a ferry. I had just travelled in from the Middle East and the contrast in customer service couldn't be more stark.

So ripoff the general public to fund huge increases for the workers and slush funds for the mafia Trade Unions. Next time I'll take the Aircoach into O'Connell Street for €6.00 safe in the peace of mind that I won't be subsiding these lifers in Dublin bus ripping off the state, and that my money will go to Private Enterprise where you earn your crust fairly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The driver of the private bus might disagree with you. Barely above minimum wage for a tough stressful job. Yet a bloated public transport company paying inflated wages is only €1 more expensive than a private company.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Del2005 wrote: »
    The driver of the private bus might disagree with you. Barely above minimum wage for a tough stressful job. Yet a bloated public transport company paying inflated wages is only €1 more expensive than a private company.

Worth noting that the public company gets to enjoy many shared services that are financed by public subsidy.

Such as use depots paid for by the state. Use the same website, backoffice admin people, same mechanics, same PR folk, same offices, etc. which have been subsidised and shared with PSO services.

Makes it much easier for them to price themselves close to the private companies.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

To be fair to Dublin Bus on this, it is the first time that the Airlink fare has been increased for many years, maybe even as long as ten years so I don't think you can really complain about the increase since it hasn't been increased for maybe as long as seven or eight years and the operating hours of the service have been increased.

You can avoid the single price rise by booking Airlink online for €6 although the system is not the most user friendly since you need to print the tickets out and cannot show them on a device and cannot purchase a return fare.

Aircoach 702/703 from Dublin Airport is €6 single and €10 return to the 3 Arena and operates twice an hour but Aircoach 700 from Dublin Airport to O'Connell Street is €7 single or €12 if paid on bus operating four times an hour.

If you book Aircoach online the 702/703 price to the 3 Arena is the same but if you book to O'Connell Street you get a €1 discount to €6 single or €11 return and can show your ticket on your device a well as printing it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Driving is a tough and stressful job I do agree but it is an unskilled job which deserve's minimum wage, nothing to stop the CIE workers improving themselves and changing careers or immigrating if they are unhappy with their salary. If anything it is a paycut which should be delivered to lower fares for the rest of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Doltanian wrote: »
    Driving is a tough and stressful job I do agree but it is an unskilled job which deserve's minimum wage, nothing to stop the CIE workers improving themselves and changing careers or immigrating if they are unhappy with their salary. If anything it is a paycut which should be delivered to lower fares for the rest of society.

You've obviously never driven a large vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Doltanian wrote:

Minimum wage? For Feic sake I mightn't be mad about cie companies but you're just stirring the pot..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Barely above minimum wage for a tough stressful job. Yet a bloated public transport company paying inflated wages is only €1 more expensive than a private company.

The average wage in Aircoach is nowhere near minimum wage:
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/aircoach-operators-profits-soar-to-8m-35500923.html
    The business had 194 staff, with a wage bill last year of €7.6m including pensions and social welfare costs, an average cost of €39,000 a worker.

Plenty immigrants would drive the buses for say €10 an hour, driving in generally considered a low skilled profession worldwide. In the US for e.g. you cannot sponsor a driver for a truck company or get a visa to work as a driver, as it is a pretty ubiquitous skill with minimum skill levels and is easy to learn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Does Aircoach 702/3 use the port tunnel. Not clear from the website. But I think so!

Does Aircoach 702/3 use the port tunnel. Not clear from the website. But I think so!

Yes I wondering the same thing myself, the Three Arena/Point Depot stop is the first stop after the Airport so I imagine it does. The 747 Airlink goes via the Tunnel anyway.

• Advertisement

Yes - although it takes a pretty congested route through Ballsbridge to/from Greystones/Dalkey which always causes delays at peak times, especially to the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

You've obviously never driven a large vehicle.

He probably never even sat in a bus by the sounds of that arrogant comment. Would love to put him in one behind the wheel and see how he gets on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭dublinstevie

get the 41 or 16 then €2,05 on leap

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

get the 41 or 16 then €2,05 on leap

Isn't is €2.60 from the airport to town? Note I'm not sure, just assumed it was given the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kyleboy

Good man Shane, enjoy your trip to north Korea.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,145 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, how's about that for undermining your own point?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

As long as they dont touch the 16 ;)

Great service and great value even with a small price increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,334 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

You could make that argument about workers providing any service you think costs too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭mikemac2

go to leapcard.ie and the old 10 euro return fare can be purchased. Just load it onto your card and validate on the 747.

I've done it a few times and I checked the price just now, still 10 euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭john boye

Didn't this increase come 2/3 months ago? It's not like it just cropped up this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

It must be almost coming up to a year now.

I'm sure part of the hike is for the poorly performing 757 route.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    It must be almost coming up to a year now.

I'm sure part of the hike is for the poorly performing 757 route.

It must be a major hardship to the OP to pay an extra euro for a service he never uses.

It must be a major hardship to the OP to pay an extra euro for a service he never uses.

TBH I was a little annoyed by the increase and think I even posted on here. 10 euro return should of stayed.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    TBH I was a little annoyed by the increase and think I even posted on here. 10 euro return should of stayed.

Fair enough but that was ages ago. It makes a difference to someone who actually uses the route regularly.

Fair enough but that was ages ago. It makes a difference to someone who actually uses the route regularly.

Its a ripoff for tourists and people visiting the country, €7 for a Double Decker bus into the city, if it was a proper coach service with luggage capacity underneath you might say something. If I was a visitor to Ireland it would let a sour taste in my mouth from the very beginning. Its a total disgrace that there is no train service to Dublin airport anyway.

Its a ripoff for tourists and people visiting the country, €7 for a Double Decker bus into the city, if it was a proper coach service with luggage capacity underneath you might say something. If I was a visitor to Ireland it would let a sour taste in my mouth from the very beginning. Its a total disgrace that there is no train service to Dublin airport anyway.

Bristol is 7 single and 11 return.

I think DB should introduce student and Family Tickets on the route.

Have you ever been to any other countries ffs? €7 is peanuts. Where did you fly in from? Mars?

It’s decent value compared to a great many European cities. Go on now with your disgraceful outrage about nothing.

• Advertisement

If you don't like it you can take Aircoach, not like you don't have an option.

Operators charging a premium for an express airport bus route is not exactly uncommon.

Advertisement