Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Plays : Pokémon Emerald

Options
  • 01-11-2017 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the main chat thread for Boards Plays : Pokemon Emerald.

This is called a succession game, where all players will be sharing save files for Pokemon Emerald.

How it works is, everyone will start the game and play up to earning their first gym badge. After this, you will save the game and upload your save file and download the next players. You will then play with their save file until you earn the second gym badge, and so on so forth.

Not sure what rule to have in place so feel free to suggest any below.

Rules
    -All pokemon must be nicknamed
    -You must beat your gym within two weeks, see schedule below.
    -We will be using the European version of the game. This will usually be found as "Pokemon Emerald (E)" online.
    -You must save immediately after you have beaten the gym leader, and this will be the uploaded save.
    -No cheats, be it hax, glitches, AR Codes or any other.

The easiest way to upload the saves is to cloud storage like Google Drive, Onedrive, Dropbox, etc and PMing the next player a link.

The Form
    This is a short questionnaire I'd like people to fill out after every gym, should only take 5 minutes or so! Results will be published!

https://goo.gl/forms/eFuWzqrNm8h8uUDr1

The Answers

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10W_UtGLqjxlz-KBf3ONQtF3j0s4uqHmbCrRYtAOOW24/edit?usp=drivesdk

Files can be uploaded to google drive, one drive, Dropbox or even just emailed.

I recommend emulating the game ROM using a GBA Emulator on Windows, OSX (Mac), Linux, Android and most versions of iOS (iPhone). I don't think I can aid people in finding Emulators or ROMS but google can.

See the signup thread on further discussion of the game

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057796474/1/#post105021039

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057796474

The Roster
    1. Digi
    2. Pter
    3. Yoss
    4. Party jungle
    5. MicksJaguar
    6. Banjo

The Schedule
    Nov 1st - Game Start
    Nov 15th - Gym 1 Beaten
    Nov 29th - Gym 2 Beaten
    Dec 13th - Gym 3 Beaten
    Dec 27th - Gym 4 Beaten
    Jan 10th - Gym 5 Beaten
    Jan 24th - Gym 6 Beaten
    Feb 7th - Gym 7 Beaten
    Feb 21st - Gym 8 Beaten
    Mar 14th - Champion Beaten!

File Order
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nNgF3A365AP7peN-YPC4DxuahzIozSO7p0xot9DoV3c/edit?usp=drivesdk

So you go to the gym you've just beaten, and PM that user your .sav file.

Tbh 2 weeks is probably very liberal, I imagine most saves will run freely and some may wrap up by the months end. I'm not expecting a 6 month runtime.

And finally, a few tips from Banjo, to help you get started!
    Banjo wrote: »
    Not long to go now!

Water is the easiest start, Grass is the middle path, Fire has a tougher time in the gyms but gets his time to shine against the e4. It doesn't really matter who you pick though, any one of them will see you right.

Don't forget, this is Gen III so Physical and Special Attacks go back to the old method, where the all attacks of a specific element are either physical or special (as opposed to specific moves being special or physical independent of the type, as in Gen IV onwards) :

Physical :
    Normal; Fighting; Flying; Ground; Rock; Bug; Ghost; Poison; Steel

Special :
    Water; Grass; Fire; Ice; Electric; Psychic; Dragon; Dark

So, for example, Gyarados may look like an absolute beast but his widdly Sp Attk score means his Water damage is heavily penalised on attacks that you think are physical like Waterfall.

If you're stuck for names, there's always the Server Naming Scheme tool :
    https://namingschemes.com/
    Hit random page for a list of related names that will give your team some coherency and hope you don't end up with a list of Fiat models. 127 uses Metal Sound! 127 Loses a door!

Don't forget, if you play the high roller roulette table in Mauville and just keep betting 3 coins on a single slot, statistically you should earn about 3 coins for every 10 goes. That adds up pretty fast if you're playing at an accelerated speed. Well worth it to get some hard hitting Special Attack TMs early on.

And remember - TMs are one use only! You're not in Unova any more, Toto!

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Sweet im getting Banjo's save now :D

Hard luck Mick, you are getting my save :)

Will PM that over later!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Hi!
    I'm new to this corner of Boards, and I'm only here 'cause of my absurd love for catching adorable little creatures and making them fight eachother to the death. I'm going to take this opportunity to apologise in advance for the quality of my future posts :D

@Pter - I've sent you a link to the save - let me know if the link works and/or if the SAV works.

Going through the post-gym quiz, I may have misunderstood the brief.
    Is the idea here that we pick a team of max 6 'mon for our gym run?
    I may have caught more than 6....

Also, I know you don't want us using cheats, but is it permitted to use tools to extract individual Pokemon, eg those voted as favourites, inject them all into 1 save file and breed them in some sort of pg-13 bacchanalian orgy so we have a 2nd generation available for a go at Platinum? Am I getting ahead of myself? :)

Can someone PM the (E) version of the game, having trouble finding it

Responded there to you Banjo - cant see your file unfortunately.

I think the brief is to get past the gym any which way you want.

I, for example, did the bare minimum, with 3 useable Pokemon (only 1 of which helped me defeat the gym) and one of those cocoon lads who did nothing.

Can someone PM the (E) version of the game, having trouble finding it

Digi said the U version would be fine. Thats what ive been using anyway.....

• Advertisement

Hmmm seems using the U version might not be so hunky dorey after all.....will look later to see if i can use Banjos save and if Mick can use mine if we are all using U or E versions.

Sorry if i messed up lads.

I just managed to use the same save with three different rom types:

1986 - Pokemon Emerald (U)(TrashMan)
    1986 - Pokemon - Emerald Version (UE)
    Pokemon - Emerald Version (U)

so hopefully should be fine

1986 - Pokemon Emerald (U)(TrashMan) 1986 - Pokemon - Emerald Version (UE) Pokemon - Emerald Version (U)

That last one is the one I have. My emulator is being annoying and won't seem to pickup banjos game though. Will keep trying.

Ok all sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Banjo wrote: »
    Hi!
    I'm new to this corner of Boards, and I'm only here 'cause of my absurd love for catching adorable little creatures and making them fight eachother to the death. I'm going to take this opportunity to apologise in advance for the quality of my future posts :D

@Pter - I've sent you a link to the save - let me know if the link works and/or if the SAV works.

Going through the post-gym quiz, I may have misunderstood the brief.
    Is the idea here that we pick a team of max 6 'mon for our gym run?
    I may have caught more than 6....

Also, I know you don't want us using cheats, but is it permitted to use tools to extract individual Pokemon, eg those voted as favourites, inject them all into 1 save file and breed them in some sort of pg-13 bacchanalian orgy so we have a 2nd generation available for a go at Platinum? Am I getting ahead of myself? :)

I normally just run a team of 6, of course you can choose as few or many as you'd like.

Whoever gets my save after gym 1 is only going to have a team of 3 or 4, which is my standard pace, just work at your own. Will you not get a little tired of adding and training 6-9 new pokemon every gym Banjo? I imagine most of us will only have 6 or 7 max.

Your style is very new to me so I wasn't expecting it, is there a way to change the form that would accommodate better?

Just play any way you enjoy it!

Cheats afterwards are fine, no one wants to receive a file after Gym 1 with a level 100 Shiny Adamant 31-spread EV trained Outrage, EQ, Swords Dance, Rest Tyranitar though, which is why I had the no-cheats policy. But after the run is completed yeah work away.

Can emulators handle Pal Park or whatever the Gen 3-4 migration was called?

• Advertisement

Pter wrote: »
    Responded there to you Banjo - cant see your file unfortunately.

I think the brief is to get past the gym any which way you want.

I, for example, did the bare minimum, with 3 useable Pokemon (only 1 of which helped me defeat the gym) and one of those cocoon lads who did nothing.

Did you make him hard?

Myself and Myers are off to a blazing start having trounced a few level 3 Zigzagoons, and reaching level 6!

Has anyone lost a fight yet?

Got PartyJungle's save state, am in business. Took a bit of jiggery pokery but as a result I might be changing the emulator I'm using for this - cheers for the tip!

Wait a minute... 1 pokemon? ONE??? With no letters in it's name???? Son of a motherless snorlax!

Hey lads seen my name down and got sent a file but I just don't have the time atm . apologies I should have said in the last thread

Hey lads seen my name down and got sent a file but I just don't have the time atm . apologies I should have said in the last thread

No harm Mick, thought you were aboard, will shorten the lists!

My God banjo you do like collecting Pokemon

You release *one* of my babies and I'll make Taken look like an insipid romantic comedy...

Pity whomever gets my save after I reach the Daycare ;)

I'm not going to lie. I don't like any of these pokemon. Let's have a do over....:p

Updated the table now

We have entered Petalburg Woods! 4 Strong team so far, seem to be veering towards Water types but that'll come in handy.

The grind from levels 2-4 up is just painful

• Advertisement

Having inherited a not-a-team from Party Jungle, I have run backwards a bit and caught a few more members for the team. It gets lonely out there on the road. However, in the spirit of the game I'm not picking up anyone who won't be in the coming Gym Battle. And now, like it's 1am at the bins behind Tamango, the slow grind begins.

Edit : ok the drink is kicking in, I can't keep this to myself any more. I beat the 2nd gym hours ago. I'm about a month ahead of where I'm supposed to be and I didn't use PJ's ****ty no-name-having starter at all... I'm not cut out for sharing this experience. All the Geodudes I didn't catch! I haven't tried the fishing rod once! This is wrong, so very wrong...

Gotten to Rustboro now tonight, I never appreciated Poochyena before.

Many beaten the gym? Is it just me and Yoss?

Anyone beaten Gym 2?

I'm past gym 2.

Just beaten Rustboro, showed myself up by losing to the Gym Leader twice, ended up just clicking through and then losing all my Pokémon early. Couldn't shuttle down Nosepass.

Eventually took to cheesing him with Sand Attacks followed by Growl. Threw out Fran, my level 7 Lotad to Absorb him to death slowly.

Durt

I don't know how to feel about Sand Attacking that damned Nosepass. I mean, he deserves it but it's such a low thing to do. Karmically that save file is now doomed...

Apologies in advance if I filled out the post-gym survey for Gym 2 twice. Think my answers were consistent if I did :D

Tried to rein in my Catch-em-all tendencies, so there's less of a grind obligation on the next guy.
    Have to say, if you don't have a Beautifly yet and you're on your way to Dewford town, grab a couple of Wurmples before you head off. They're absolutely made for that place.

@Y0ssar1an22, I've sent over a link for the save download.

I forgot to do the form. I'll correct that later.

Do we send on gyms at a set time? Ive been sitting on my 'just after gym 2 save' since before the weekend - im not sure if you have gym 2 completed PJ! Do you want the next save?

Also waiting on whomever is sending me their 'After gym 2' save.

I guess we can send it on as soon as it's ready but I've yet to do gym 2 myself

• Advertisement

I've sent Gym 2 on to Yoss, was a bit worried about feeling like I'm pressuring them but figured in the end that if I didn't do it now I'd end up holding them up. The file ain't going nowhere. I realise I'm way ahead of schedule, but that tends to be the way with Pokemon, each successive Gym takes a little bit longer to get ready for if you're an anally retentive hoarder. It'll balance out in the end.

Advertisement